Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #441
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
When you guys started developing your basement from a new build what did you use to seal the concrete floor? Vapour barrier in the under lay? Did you paint it with anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Vapour barrier? No - I would think that would trap the moisture and actually cause more of an issue than anything.

I used Barricade 2x2 tiles which have a foam underlay and an R value of 3.2. Now that my basement is done, they were the greatest investment in the entire process. Carpet feels great, doesn't feel like you're walking on concrete, no musty smells and the temp is amazing.

http://www.rona.ca/en/insulated-r32-...3-1-4-01925002

And I actually went the other way. I didn't have great headroom, so I avoided putting down underlay and went straight to a luxury vinyl tile flooring directly on the concrete. Not only was it cheap and easy to instal, but it also is vinyl, so there isn't the risk of flooding damage. The best part, though was how surprisingly comfortable it is on the feet. I was expecting hard and cold, but it was surprisingly warm, with no underlayment at all.

http://evokeflooring.com/us/products/samuel
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #442
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Need help with my downstairs toilet. If I flush as small amount of toilet paper down it, it will back up. I have plunged and snaked the hell out of it for two nights now. I have taken it off and snaked it from the bottom. I am pretty sure it's on straight. I can get it to flush which seems regular, but when I do a toilet paper test it backs up. When I flush a bubble pushes up which does not seem normal. I have not idea what the issue might be. Could it be a calcium build up on the jets? Do toilets just stop working? Is buying a new one the answer? Or should I call a plumber cause it could be something even bigger that I am not seeing.
Cflames_12.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #443
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
When you guys started developing your basement from a new build what did you use to seal the concrete floor? Vapour barrier in the under lay? Did you paint it with anything?
I`m not an expert but I think vapour barrier on top of concrete would be really bad. Usually plastic goes down on top of the gavel and underneath the poured concrete floor. It`d be like adding a layer of vapour barrier on top of drywall, just holding moisture in the house. They do have concrete paint that is breathable, good for keeping dust down a bit. You can use the products like Dricore as a subfloor. Or even rigid foam. Foam or plastic should go underneath the bottom plate of your walls though because you don`t want concrete touching wood.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #444
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflames_12.5 View Post
Need help with my downstairs toilet. If I flush as small amount of toilet paper down it, it will back up. I have plunged and snaked the hell out of it for two nights now. I have taken it off and snaked it from the bottom. I am pretty sure it's on straight. I can get it to flush which seems regular, but when I do a toilet paper test it backs up. When I flush a bubble pushes up which does not seem normal. I have not idea what the issue might be. Could it be a calcium build up on the jets? Do toilets just stop working? Is buying a new one the answer? Or should I call a plumber cause it could be something even bigger that I am not seeing.
Is it a low flow toilet? I was installing a new plumbing system for a new bathroom downstairs in my basement, and my plumber told me to avoid a low flow toilet in the basement, specifically because the drains aren't particularly well graded, and that they would cause backups and would not fully flush. Low flow was fine for upstairs, but not in the basement. Perhaps that is your issue?
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #445
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Is it a low flow toilet? I was installing a new plumbing system for a new bathroom downstairs in my basement, and my plumber told me to avoid a low flow toilet in the basement, specifically because the drains aren't particularly well graded, and that they would cause backups and would not fully flush. Low flow was fine for upstairs, but not in the basement. Perhaps that is your issue?
I am not sure if it's a low flow toilet. It came with the house. I know it's a smaller one. That is what I was thinking too. Thanks
Old 06-25-2015, 10:33 AM   #446
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know of a company that would paint installed baseboards and doors and trims? It is the bane of my existence right now.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #447
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflames_12.5 View Post
Maybe there is a plug in the air vent pipe?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #448
Cflames_12.5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Maybe there is a plug in the air vent pipe?
Where would I find that.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #449
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure exactly how you would investigate that, but your plumbing system will have at least one air vent that comes out the roof. I'd imagine if that was plugged no air would be available to assist the water flow and would probably explain the flow back bubble. It would be like shotgunning a beer without cracking the top. But I'm a drinker, not a plumber.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #450
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
Anyone know of a company that would paint installed baseboards and doors and trims? It is the bane of my existence right now.
I'm in the same boat. Basement has been 'finished' for months now, all that there is left to do is installing and finishing the baseboards and door/window trim. So tedious.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #451
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I'm in the same boat. Basement has been 'finished' for months now, all that there is left to do is installing and finishing the baseboards and door/window trim. So tedious.
Yeaa..... I put the baseboards on in the basement about 3 years ago...... and main floor about a year and a half ago.....
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #452
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Try flaming_potato. He did a good job painting mine that the installer had somehow neglected to paint.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #453
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
Yeaa..... I put the baseboards on in the basement about 3 years ago...... and main floor about a year and a half ago.....
Why didn't you paint the baseboard before you installed it? It's pretty easy to do before it's on the wall, and a lot harder after.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #454
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post

Ahhhhh this explains so much. I have a few friends who have "claimed" my basement guest washroom, but always plug it while swearing that they were cautious and took extreme preventative measures due to this being an ongoing problem. I barely ever use that toilet, however I do notice that it's much slower/capable of performing it's required task, and quite often includes the "plop" bubble sound. I'm not a fan of my low flow toilets upstairs, but I'm really disappointed and annoyed with how finicky the basement one has been (house is 3.5 years old). Maybe I'll remove it and install a bidet & urinal combo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #455
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Why didn't you paint the baseboard before you installed it? It's pretty easy to do before it's on the wall, and a lot harder after.
You have to fill nail holes and Dap the tops so you need at least a coat of paint once they are on the wall. --- I have a great painter but he's very expensive. I'd check Kijiji. There are so many painters advertising right now. I'd hire someone who insists on spraying the final coat.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:05 PM   #456
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well yeah, you do a few spots and you're done. It's a lot easier than trying to paint the whole thing without hitting the floor or walls. I've never seen trim painted only after it's been installed.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #457
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Well yeah, you do a few spots and you're done. It's a lot easier than trying to paint the whole thing without hitting the floor or walls. I've never seen trim painted only after it's been installed.
Oh I painted them one coat before installing. Jus that was a little while ago and they can use touch up and nail holes filled.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #458
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I am just about to embark on my main bathroom and was hoping somebody here can help regarding in floor heating mats for under tiles. I just picked one up off kijiji but it didnt come with the thermostat. Can I use any thermostat to hook this thing up? Was thinking a $40 programmable Honeywell from Rona if that would work? Any thoughts?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #459
AMG_G
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I am just about to embark on my main bathroom and was hoping somebody here can help regarding in floor heating mats for under tiles. I just picked one up off kijiji but it didnt come with the thermostat. Can I use any thermostat to hook this thing up? Was thinking a $40 programmable Honeywell from Rona if that would work? Any thoughts?

I think a very basic t-stat just gives the mat juice or no juice to heat up according to the preset temp.

I have a couple of Flextherms in my washrooms which allows me to set schedules 4 times a day 7 days a week. It has an option where I can set it to be 25 at 6 am it will be 25 at 6 am not start heating up at 6am...fancy but is it really needed? I don't think so. These things don't draw all that much electricity any ways so set and forget.

The one thing that you should look for is something that has 2 temperature sensors. The Flextherms come with a probe under the tile and one the measures ambient temperature. If you only have an ambient sensor your tiles might never heat up unless you crank it way up.
AMG_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 03:46 PM   #460
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know approximately how much it might cost to hire a contractor to build a double and extended garage these days (long enough to fit a crew cab truck ideally)? Any recommendations? I was thinking about hiring someone to pour the concrete and then build it myself, but I'm getting increasingly less interested in projects as I age.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote