Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 AM   #1
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default House on Golf Course

I'm surprised it's so difficult to find information on this.

Anyone here live backing onto a golf course?
How often does the house actually get hit?
How often do the you have broken windows?
Is there a specific premium on home insurance?

I guess it depends where on the hole? Probably more likely to get hit near the Tee than hear the green
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the course too, I would assume those living along Douglasdale get hit a lot more than those along, say, Maple Ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:18 AM   #3
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Tee shots are much more likely to hit a house than shots approaching the green.

Golfers are responsible for damage if they hit your house.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #4
arcfyr
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Grew up in a house backing near the green of the Silver Springs Golf Course. We were off to the side of the green. Found a couple stray golf balls in our backyard every other year, nothing crazy. We liked the relative privacy of not having to share a backyard fence.
arcfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post

Yeah, but I always "glhf" with that.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #6
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
If they're caught or volunteer to come forward. I have seen homes hit by golfers when the residents aren't there and the golfers just move on and hope no one comes out.

If I had kids I wouldn't live on a golf course. Wearing a helmet to play in the backyard wouldn't be awesome.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've been told by lawyers before that to be held liable the home owner would have to prove some sort of negligence on the act of the golfer, like lining up to hit into the houses or something, otherwise its an accepted risk.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 AM   #8
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bigger threat now is the constant threat of golf courses being converted into condo and additional housing. Courses are being bought up as a long term play for residential development.

There are certain courses in the City I think it's just a matter of time before it goes to the developer.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't want to live in a house that gets hit by golf balls, don't live on a golf course.
If you choose to anyways, get a house with hardieboard siding like my parents, that way you can just use putty on the dents and paint.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #10
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe legally a golfer is responsible, the course will tell you are responsible. Not sure this accurate....

For example, I spoke to a golf course owner awhile back... He offered to place netting to protect homes from getting hit.

However the owners declined... (i.e. it impacted their view)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would really depend on the hole. I've played holes where there is a major dog leg with houses along the bend. Big time hitters can't help themselves and try going for it. Of course, those houses sides look like Baghdad 2008.

Other holes/courses are designed such that the houses are no where near the danger, like behind tee boxes and such.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 08:57 AM   #12
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

All golf courses have "the player is responsible for any property damage", in the fine print, and usually there is a sign on the first hole, with that rule, along with others, ie, no outside liquor.

I've seen people hit houses 2 blocks away from the course, and you wouldn't believe how bad people play during tournaments. I know I've hit probably 5 houses in my life, it's been awhile, but I've never talked to any owners.

I missed a window by inches one time.

No, after seeing myself golf in my earlier days I would not buy on a golf course.

Having said that I have seen some nice houses on golf courses, you wouldn't think would ever get hit.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live on a Golf Course.

The secret is to be the house behind the tee. That way you get to laugh at the people who screw up their shot and not be in the firing range.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #14
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend used to live in a house backing onto the Shawnessy golf course. They had their windows broken twice from errant golf balls.

Might just have been bad luck though.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:37 AM   #15
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've lived on a golf course (Valley Ridge) for a few years now. I am about 100 yards out on the left side, so it would take a pretty good snap hook from a right handed player to get me, or a slice from a lefty. I've found one ball each year on average, so it happens, but not as frequently as I was expecting, and it's never actually hit the house as far as I can tell. It's been a non issue for me, and my kids regularly play in the backyard. Sometimes after the last golfers go by, my kids and others on the block will run out on the course and play, and it's great having open space behind us. In the winter my kids are out playing in the huge open space making snowmen, forts, etc... Lots of people going by on cross country skiis as well. I really enjoy it.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #16
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I've lived on a golf course (Valley Ridge) for a few years now. I am about 100 yards out on the left side, so it would take a pretty good snap hook from a right handed player to get me, or a slice from a lefty. I've found one ball each year on average, so it happens, but not as frequently as I was expecting, and it's never actually hit the house as far as I can tell. It's been a non issue for me, and my kids regularly play in the backyard. Sometimes after the last golfers go by, my kids and others on the block will run out on the course and play, and it's great having open space behind us. In the winter my kids are out playing in the huge open space making snowmen, forts, etc... Lots of people going by on cross country skiis as well. I really enjoy it.
I miss Valley Ridge, we lived on Valley Stream Cir before they built so far West. Nice little hike to the ridge over looking the dam, nice access to the bike paths heading to Bowness. But back to the topic my father in law lived on the High River golf course for 5 years and only one broken window and he is at the end of a drive on a RH slice. Sitting on his deck watching golf was very relaxing so I say go for it just be picky about the placement.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #17
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My office parking lot is to the right of a driving range. There are high nets, but about one ball a week makes it through. So far, no cars seem to have been damaged.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #18
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this a confessional. Because first round of the season I hit a house for the first time since ive started golfing. Not the first time I've put a ball in someones yard though.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 05-29-2019 at 10:55 AM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I live on a Golf Course.

The secret is to be the house behind the tee. That way you get to laugh at the people who screw up their shot and not be in the firing range.
I'm not a very good golfer, I'd find a way to hit you. Maybe even by accident.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have always wondered if there are any types of special windows available that are more resistant to shattering?

or could a large window be covered/shielded by plexiglass?

personally, i would consider buying a home on a course as long as it was not in the line of fire, and it it was i guess i'd want to see large trees protecting the property.

at the end of the day, it would be a mixed blessing as you might always feel like people are walking by your backyard for 6 months per year, but then after thanksgivng it would likely be nice and quiet