Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:
Default Cheap Flights to Hong Kong

Anyone know of any solid sites that might have cheap flights to Hong Kong? Looking for travel for 2 adults around mid-September....
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Try Pan Asia Travel in Dragon City Mall in Chinatown. When I went to Asia in November, I got quotes a few hundred dollars cheaper than booking online directly through Cathay Pacific for the exact same set of flights. I was quite shocked. I thought buying directly off the airline's website would always be the cheapest. Probably the only time I used a travel agent in the last 10 years.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

checkout Eva Airlines. They are an asian airline based in Taipei, so there will be a stop there (no non-stop flights to HKG)

I once flew from HKG to YVR with them. They have an intermediate class (iirc, Evergreen), between 1st class and economy that was only $50 more one way. It was very similar to 1st class seating and ammenities which was money very well spent for the long trans-pacific flight. Was still cheaper than Air Canada, and the almost-first class seating made the stop in Taipei worth it
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know how it compares but check out the prices on the new Air Canada flight from Calgary to Tokyo Narita, you can probably book through all the way to Hong Kong with them on a Star Alliance Partner (ANA perhaps?).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My parents recently went to Hong Kong by taking Delta Airlines instead. Seems taking the American Carrier over the Canadian one saved them a few hundred dollars somehow.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My parents recently went to Hong Kong by taking Delta Airlines instead. Seems taking the American Carrier over the Canadian one saved them a few hundred dollars somehow.
Yep, Delta and United are currently the cheapest way to get to Hong Kong in September. The cheapest roundtrip are around $1100ish after tax.

Although you may want to factor in baggage fees as well.

Using a combination of Air Canada and Air China can get you there and back for $1173, and faster than Delta or United.

Or all on Air Canada for $1257.

And if you find any magical Chinatown agents that can get you a September flight for less than $1100 after tax, please let me know, still curious about those.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Yep, Delta and United are currently the cheapest way to get to Hong Kong in September. The cheapest roundtrip are around $1100ish after tax.

Although you may want to factor in baggage fees as well.
You can avoid baggage fees by bringing less. Just buy everything you need when you get there since it's cheap. Then mail it back to Canada.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looking for recommendations on areas of Hong Kong to stay in...

I will be travelling solo in the fall and typically use Airbnb.

Here is a big list of potential places:

https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Hong-Kong?ch...ire+home%2Fapt

Anyone have advice on areas to stay in that are accessible with a lot to do near by?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
qiang
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hongkong absolutely is a good place...fashionable butcrowded..since the House Price is too unaccetable
qiang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qiang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Looking for recommendations on areas of Hong Kong to stay in...

I will be travelling solo in the fall and typically use Airbnb.

Here is a big list of potential places:

https://www.airbnb.ca/s/Hong-Kong?ch...013&room_types[]=Entire+home%2Fapt

Anyone have advice on areas to stay in that are accessible with a lot to do near by?
If you want night life, Tsim Sha Tsui or Central will both work (Those are practically your 2 major business centres in Hong Kong, and there are a fair amount of bars/clubs to choose from), Causeway Bay and Mong Kok might work for that as well.

Tsim Sha Tsui and Central are most definitely accessible (Those 2 are practically right across the harbour from each other). You can hop on the MTR and get to so many places really quickly. If you're going as a tourist, and plan on using the MTR (including light rail) a lot in a day, get a Tourist Day Pass (You need to show your passport to prove that you're a tourist), that will save you a fair amount of money (I've spent over $500 HKD a week on travel, that's just under $70 CAD), but again, only if you are going to get going to a lot of places (or going very far multiple times). You can use http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/homepage/cust_index.html to check on how much it is to get anywhere if you really wanted to.

I think that's about it when it comes to lots to do an accessibility.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #11
qiang
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
If you want night life, Tsim Sha Tsui or Central will both work (Those are practically your 2 major business centres in Hong Kong, and there are a fair amount of bars/clubs to choose from), Causeway Bay and Mong Kok might work for that as well.

Tsim Sha Tsui and Central are most definitely accessible (Those 2 are practically right across the harbour from each other). You can hop on the MTR and get to so many places really quickly. If you're going as a tourist, and plan on using the MTR (including light rail) a lot in a day, get a Tourist Day Pass (You need to show your passport to prove that you're a tourist), that will save you a fair amount of money (I've spent over $500 HKD a week on travel, that's just under $70 CAD), but again, only if you are going to get going to a lot of places (or going very far multiple times). You can use http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/homepage/cust_index.html to check on how much it is to get anywhere if you really wanted to.

hongkong native。。。cool。。
Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM   #12
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post

That's great info, thanks very much. Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions for things to see in a tourist sense? It's the last leg of a business trip for me and I've taken seven days at the end to vacation in Hong Kong.

Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's great info, thanks very much. Do you (or anyone else) have suggestions for things to see in a tourist sense? It's the last leg of a business trip for me and I've taken seven days at the end to vacation in Hong Kong.

Thanks again.
If you want popular tourist destinations, the big buddha on Lantau Island is good sight (and the cable car/gondola, ride over there has some pretty spectacular views).

Victoria Peak is another big one, the night shots from up there over Hong Kong are very impressive.

There's always the Star Ferry that goes across Victoria Harbour.

You could check out the likes of Ladies Market in Mong Kok for some cheap (knock off) shopping. Sham Shui Po for almost anything electronics related (adapters, phone chargers, USB cables, etc...), specifically Apliu Street. Causeway Bay is also good for shopping as well.

You can walk along the Harbour on the Kowloon side (Tsim Sha Tsui) and walk by the Avenue of the stars, and find the old train station clock tower.

Outside of that, I can't think of too much... unless you count theme parks like Ocean Park, which has the pandas (I believe they still have them), dolphin and whale shows, etc... (that's on top of all the rides they have). And then there's the Hong Kong Disney Land (and it will likely be the quietest Disneyland you will EVER go to)
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #14
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks again.
Hong Kong Disney is touristy.

But seriously, the end of the metro out that way has a cable car that goes to the top of a mountain where they have a giant Buddha. The name is Ngong Ping 360. I thought it was worth the trip.

Also make sure to take some time to walk around the city and just look at things, and stop at a Dim Sum place that looks good.

If I had a week I'd take a trip to Macao also.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Same areas previous poster said, visit those. Night market in Tsim Sha Tsui is good, Monk Kok also has a night market which is great. Nightlife, you can go to Lan Kwai Fong which is in Central I believe (Could be wrong, but everybody knows where LKF is if you ask). It's expensive to drink there, but that's where tourists go to party. If you know anybody, small local bars and sports bars are the best places to drink.

Visit Kowloon Park, which is pretty cool to see the cultural diversity in Hong Kong. Everywhere has shopping, but if you want name brands etc, go to Times Square, Central, Kowloon. There are massive malls in those areas that are pretty cool to see.

The Peak if you have never been is a must. Visit at night to see the HK skyline. It's beautiful. They have their version of Avenue of the Stars in Tsim Sha Tsui as well, where the Bruce Lee statue is as well.

As for where to stay, I would suggest the Holiday Inn Express in Time Square. It's right beside the MTR, and is easily accessible. Keep in mind though, and this is just my experience maybe since I go to HK during Christmas time, that hotel rates are stupid expensive. As in 400 dollars a night expensive, even a place like the Holiday Inn, which is still a great hotel. If you know anybody, might not be a bad idea to stay with them, provided they aren't too far off the beaten path.

There is so much to do in Hong Kong in just a matter of days. I've been there about 15 times for 3-4 week periods (family and friends), and I still get new experiences every time I go.

Enjoy!
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #16
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lived in Hong Kong for about 4 years. I'm sure you've come across the obvious places to go and see, so I'll just mention a few hidden gems that might not get a lot of recognition on tourist websites

Sai Kung Penninsula - great place to go hiking, kayaking, some nice beaches or enjoying nature. Beautiful scenery

Golden Computer Center in Sham Shui Po - best place in Hong Kong to buy electronics/technology.

Cheng Chau Island - it's about 20 minutes from the Central Ferry terminal. Beaches, restaurants and Temples. A nice place to go if you want to get away from the skyscrapers

Royal Pacific Hotel and Tower is a great place to stay. On the edge of TST, near MTR stations, and Star Ferry to cross the harbour to Hong Kong Island.

The T Hotel is on the west side on Hong Kong Island, near the University. Not a great location, but they make up for it by having a great view, free wifi, awesome service, free breakfast, free shuttle to common locations etc highly recommended
http://www.vtc.edu.hk/thotel/index.html
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 AM   #17
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, thanks for the great info and suggestions.

Much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:11 AM   #18
qiang
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

sure world class city...awesome
Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Leaving in a couple weeks for Hong Kong and Macau...

Should have probably looked into this earlier but I don't need any kind of special paperwork (aside from my Cdn passport) do I? I know you need a visa to enter mainland China, but am I okay if just going to Hong Kong / Macau?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Canadians can get into HK and Macau with just their passport at the airport. For mainland China your hotel can get you a visa in as little as an hour if you trust the clerk to leave the hotel with your passports. I did and he brought them back with the visa.

For hotels in Hong Kong, I had a ton of luck booking from the airport kiosk. They have independent guys there who can get you a better rate on rooms then going through the hotel directly.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote