Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #1
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Domestic roaming / extended coverage now on Rogers/Fido

An interesting announcement by Rogers. When you find yourself in an area with no coverage on your existing network, you will automatically be allowed to roam on a competitor's network at no charge.

Quote:
Rogers and Fido customers can now “stay connected in more places across Canada – at no extra charge.” As previously reported, Extended Coverage is now live for over nine million customers. This gives the option to travel across the country and not worry about roaming charges for talk, text and data usage.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/03/04/ro...nded-coverage/

This isn't a big deal in my day-to-day life, but I have found Rogers' coverage in BC to be very poor (non-existent in many areas), particularly on the highways. In the event of an emergency it will be nice to now have coverage.

Apparently the providers are now signing agreements to allow this domestically, so it should come to other providers soon as well. It works automatically on voice, text, and data and everything is included in your current plan. The only catch is that for data, you need to turn "data roaming" on. This could spell trouble if people forget to turn it off before leaving the country, but I know that Fido sends you texts about your international roaming usage, so people will at least know how much they are racking up.

Nothing earth shattering, but I was pleased to learn of this because my Fido plan is so good that I could never get anything better anywhere else, and my only gripe was the coverage holes in BC. And it is nice to see the wireless providers doing something to benefit the consumer without charging extra for it.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Part of me thinks this is just a ploy by the big 3 to try and shut Wind out, because I'm certain they won't end up as part of this deal
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Part of me thinks this is just a ploy by the big 3 to try and shut Wind out, because I'm certain they won't end up as part of this deal
If that's the case I'm pretty sure Wind will file a Competition Act complaint against them.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote