Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 06:37 PM   #41
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboniman View Post
I was at the game, the second Florida game for me this week. This one definitely didn't go the way the last one did. That giveaway....oooofff.

Fans here were interesting. Maybe just happened to be a lot of folks there that came for the first time with friends and whatnot, but a few things were interesting.

- The guy behind me had his buddy ask him when half-time was.
- Same guy's buddy asked, "So there's only three quarters?"
- Another guy's kid asked his dad what a powerplay was (okay, it was a kid, I'll allow it, especially since this year I'm wondering if the Flames themselves know the answer to that question)

- Way fewer Flames jerseys in the crowd, at least around my section, than there was in Tampa
- Flames powerplay sucks
- They *really* like Tkachuk down here
- No reaction either way to Huberdeau when he did anything
- I was sure it was actually onside and a good goal
- During the offside goal challenge nobody around me knew what was going on. I knew it was very close to offside when it happened and was pretty sure they'd go to video, so I found myself explaining to everyone around what the deal was, which was funny
- Full building, hardly any empty seats anyway
- Way easier to get in and out of Amerant Bank Arena, traffic wise before and after the game, than it is in either Tampa or Calgary
- They keep the building chilly. No doubt for better ice. Walking outside after the game into tropical humid heat was a real kick. Especially since I walked out of the Saddledome less than a week ago after a game into -18 C weather
- My continued opinion is that the Saddledome has the worst concourse in the NHL
Yeah, I don't question the enthusiasm of Panthers fans these days. They show up and they're loud. But it's clear that many of them don't understand the game very well. Even the few that understand the rules don't seem to read or watch the play very well, and often miss key details that would answer many of their own questions.

It's okay, I've grown accustomed to it, but I hear at least 2 or 3 silly questions every night. You gotta remember, this fanbase forgot the Panthers existed until a few years ago, and for good reason too. They were terrible for a very long time.

However, both anecdotally and from real enrollment numbers, Florida now boasts a pretty vibrant youth hockey system. It pales compared to Canada, but I will occassionally join a buddy of mine at his kid's hockey game on Saturdays, and they don't look half bad. Some kids are actually pretty talented.

I think what I'm saying is look out for the 2035 draft! It'll be full of Floridian kids!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 06:43 PM   #42
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Weegs and Anderson had a rough outing. Why won’t Anderson shoot the fricken puck?? So frustrating

Last edited by getoverit; 03-09-2024 at 07:03 PM.
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:58 PM   #43
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is me watching him on the PP
Old 03-09-2024, 07:27 PM   #44
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another 2 points for a chance at Iggy
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 07:29 PM   #45
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Missed this one. Is it worth catching it on replay?
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 07:37 PM   #46
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Definitely not. Sharangovich rebound goal early on a PP and Miromanov blistering a shot to take out Evan Rodrigues.

Saved you an hour.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 07:47 PM   #47
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
No....
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 07:50 PM   #48
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Didn't see the game, but the comments about Rasmus and Weegar having tough a tough time....this stats card definitely agrees with you. If those two and Backlund's line have a bad night usually the Flames don't do well at all.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1766611086898266492
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 08:04 PM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'm predicting he goes in the top 8. At least until I know the final draft order.
Most publications I have seen have him 10-16.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:12 PM   #50
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How bad was Ekblad’s collision with Tarasenko? Wills was focusing on it on the radio.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:20 PM   #51
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
How bad was Ekblad’s collision with Tarasenko? Wills was focusing on it on the radio.
Not bad, they saw each other for sure. Ekblad just went down really awkwardly and didn't come back afterward.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:21 PM   #52
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So I’m happy no matter what happens on the OOT? Except 3 point games but #### those regardless
Boring night. All the teams we're chasing for draft position lost and all the teams we're chasing for playoff position are winning.
Old 03-09-2024, 09:37 PM   #53
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If ever there was a game to illustrate just how far the Flames are from contention with the current talent they have, this was it.

Not saying they were absolutely terrible, or they didn't try. I think they really did try, but the Panthers are just so good at shutting down breakouts, controlling the neutral zone, and limiting chances in their own zone. They attack puck carriers vociferously, and guys know how to support the forecheckers so they aren't caught out of position. Pucks are turned over regularly. Then they counter attack so well. They have enough talent that they don't need a lot of chances to score goals.

Then you throw in both Bob and Stolarz having great years in net, and it's a team that literally has no holes. Adding Tarasenko looks like a smart bet already. Barkov and Reinhart are both smart players that will feed him pucks. They have enough depth to sustain several injuries before there's a problem.

Speaking of which, I think Miromanov broke the foot of Rodrigues when he blocked that shot. Holy cow, that guy has a bomb, something we haven't had in a defenseman in a while. He was pretty tentative defensively, but I think that's because he barely had one practice before being thrust into the lineup. Held his own okay, and made a couple nice passes to break guys out. Time will tell with him, but I thought he was at least a passable NHL defenseman.

Look, this team has gutted a lot of key talent, including two top 4 defenders in the last week. If they can't keep up with the big teams anymore, that's no shame on them. That's all this was in the end.

But my son had a great time yelling and cheering, and got to see plenty of goals for the Panthers. Great day out with the boy, and that's all that really matters in the end.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you and acknowledge the Flames are not close to being a contender. I also was only able to watch the first 20 minutes, but the Flames should have been up 3 or 4. Florida gave up some real quality grade A chances.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:39 PM   #54
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pelletier and Coronato are not ready to play as High up as they were with Kadri at times. They should both get some more seasoning in the Ahl next year . Poor substitutes for Zary and pospisil.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:47 PM   #55
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you and acknowledge the Flames are not close to being a contender. I also was only able to watch the first 20 minutes, but the Flames should have been up 3 or 4. Florida gave up some real quality grade A chances.
Yeah agree. The Panthers were definitely leaky in the first and got bailed out by Stolarz.

I see their back end as the weakness.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:48 PM   #56
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
the hit wasn't that bad but his knee buckled...looked pretty bad
Old 03-09-2024, 10:26 PM   #57
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
Yeah agree. The Panthers were definitely leaky in the first and got bailed out by Stolarz.

I see their back end as the weakness.

They are cruising, it's not 100% right now. This was one of the leakiest efforts that I've seen, these games are meaningless for them. Their structure is their strength.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM   #58
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Stolarz was the difference early on. 3 of FLA goals were deflections.
Weegar brain dead pass on the PP that resulted in Stenlund short handed goal was what sealed this game. Was all downhill from there. Still would say that 5-1 was not indicative of how the game really went.
Flames hung with the top team before things went really sideways. No issue with the effort tonight. Please show up ready to play tomorrow and hopefully some better luck.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 11:23 PM   #59
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
They are cruising, it's not 100% right now. This was one of the leakiest efforts that I've seen, these games are meaningless for them. Their structure is their strength.
They're only a point ahead of the Bruins. Their remaining games are definitely not "meaningless".

They just don't have to worry about missing the playoffs unless they go on a massive nosedive.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 11:29 PM   #60
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post
I really hope we can move some players in the off season. I just want some decent picks and maybe some prospects.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk
There’s not many left to move.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote