Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #41
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Domi trade stands out as one of the big mistakes. Really amounts to a second line centre for nothing. Anyone who watched the Habs knew that Gally sucked.

Its understandable if your method is to drill down on stats and never watched Alex Galchenyuk play. Hockey is not a static game like baseball, you need to watch the games or have high quality scouts working for you. Why would a scout work for a team that disregards their information and males decisions based on algebra and calculus.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #42
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I agree. I believe he would have already signed if he had any thinking of staying there.
Earlier this week, on one of the talking head stations/segments, it was mentioned that Hall is quite open to staying in Arizona but his agent is a guy who always urges his clients get to UFA and see what is available before making a decision.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:30 AM   #43
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chayka has done an incredibly average job IMO. His drafting and developing record has been pretty bad. He has made some ok trades.

Really the only thing has done well is hire Rick Tocchet. IMO Tocchet deserves the credit for any of that teams success over Chayka.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #44
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are we missing here with the Chayka news? Has he been let go? If so, why no press release or announcement? Or is ownership messing around with him?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 10:45 AM   #45
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
What are we missing here with the Chayka news? Has he been let go? If so, why no press release or announcement? Or is ownership messing around with him?
Probably both sides trying to negotiate an agreement to terminate his contract. Chayka just signed a contract extension in November.

Craig Morgan
@CraigSMorgan
In the interest of due diligence, I asked a Coyotes spokesperson again this morning:
Is John Chayka still the GM?
Answer: "No comment."
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #46
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The Coyotes are about the only team that has a 5th defenseman making over 3.5 million. Carolina also do now after their brutal trade for Brady Skjei.

These are two organizations who are a lot more unconventional than the rest of the league. I think they have too much money committed to defence and goaltending myself. But maybe the analytics whiz kids are seeing something others aren't.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #47
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Earlier this week, on one of the talking head stations/segments, it was mentioned that Hall is quite open to staying in Arizona but his agent is a guy who always urges his clients get to UFA and see what is available before making a decision.
That makes it sound like the agent is the only reason Hall hasn't re-signed. But I don't think that aligns with what Friedman said about the situation.

He wouldn't rule out Hall signing in Arizona but said Hall wants to hit free agency and wants a stable environment and a team that can win. Arizona doesn't seem stable, especially now, nor do they look like a team that can win.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #48
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
That makes it sound like the agent is the only reason Hall hasn't re-signed. But I don't think that aligns with what Friedman said about the situation.

He wouldn't rule out Hall signing in Arizona but said Hall wants to hit free agency and wants a stable environment and a team that can win. Arizona doesn't seem stable, especially now, nor do they look like a team that can win.
I think Hall as also made some comments in the past about preferring to play in a hockey market as well. I could be mistaken though.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #49
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I will be totally shocked if Hall re-signs in Arizona.
For sure. He made it very clear he wants to not only play for a competitive team but it was important it was a good hockey market as well. I don't see any chance he signs with Arizona.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #50
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman has updated his story.

Apparently Chayka was offered another position with another NHL team.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...w-opportunity/

Quote:
It appears the relationship between John Chayka and the Arizona Coyotes fell apart over another job opportunity for the team’s current general manager.

According to multiple sources, at some point during the pandemic, the Coyotes were approached about Chayka’s availability and granted permission for him to explore the situation.

“It was not a lateral move,” one source said. “He was not going to be the GM of another NHL team.”

From what I understand, when it became apparent Chayka could leave, the Coyotes dug in and resisted. He reportedly has three years remaining on his contract, and, at least until this occurred, owner Alex Meruelo was a huge supporter of his GM. The two sides discussed the possibility of a “transition period” where the GM would stay through the remainder of Arizona’s season, but talks fell apart.

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-25-2020 at 12:19 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #51
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Apparently Chayka was offered another position with another NHL team. Not a lateral move.

In other words, egos got in the way. Everyone digging their heels in. I wonder who would've offered him a president position (or am I reading that wrong)?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #52
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a lateral move?

Was he offered a team President type position?

Surely he wasn't interest in switching orgs to take a lesser position?
Old 07-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #53
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not a lateral move?

Was he offered a team President type position?

Surely he wasn't interest in switching orgs to take a lesser position?
Could of been a position that suited his talent better. Sometimes people get promoted and realize it isn’t for them, or the org realizes the person was good in pervious roles but not this one. Often a person will just resign and find another job somewhere else.

Sounds like this could be a possibility with Arizona wanting a transition and possibly the GM wanting out quicker.

I totally can see him surface as head of scouting or some sort of thing like that. Not everyone wants to be the man once they get there. They realize there is more rewarding work elsewhere for them.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:08 PM   #54
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
Chayka has done an incredibly average job IMO. His drafting and developing record has been pretty bad.
I have to disagree here. In my opinion, to do a "good" job as a GM at the draft, you need your first round picks to turn into players. To do a "great" job, you need to hit on the first rounders and also manage to extract some value from the later rounds. Chayka's first round picks have been:

Clayton Keller;
Jakob Chychrun;
Pierre-Olivier Joseph;
Barrett Hayton; and
Victor Soderstrom.

Of those, three are clear hits, in my view. There are no busts. Keller and Chuchrun aren't just NHL players, they're already very good, top-6 / top-4 options at a young age. Hayton was considered a reach, as the consensus pick at the time was Zadina. I think we can all now see that Hayton was clearly the right decision there, as the guy became a star in his draft+1 year and will be Calder-eligible next year after playing 20 games this season and has a shot at a nom. Joseph, as a 23rd overall pick, was a good risk-reward bet; he certainly has NHL skating but it remains to be seen if the rest of his game can get there. Regardless, he was used as part of the package to acquire Kessel, so value was had. Soderstrom fits in the "too soon to tell" category, but was selected roughly where he was ranked by most (though Pronman had him lower).

I think that's a pretty good record for first rounders. On later rounds, he's been just "OK". Tyler Steenbergen was an excellent get as a late round pick, looking like he should have gone top 30 in his D+1 year, although he's been slow to adjust to the AHL and it's still too soon to tell if he can produce at a pro level. Kevin Bahl turned out to be an excellent choice as a 2nd rounder, and helped them acquire Taylor Hall. There are a bunch of guys who have a shot to be NHLers, but nothing sure yet. I would rate his work outside of round 1 as roughly average.

So, combining good results from the first round, with average results after the first round, I think I would say he's done quite a good job at the draft.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #55
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Keller is a 45 point player, he is a pretty average top 6 player who is soon to be very overpaid.

Chychrun has shown growth thos year, but has had trouble staying healthy.

Hayton might turn out if they don't wreak his development, playing him 4th line minutes isn't the right way to development.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #56
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Apparently Chayka was offered another position with another NHL team.

Says nothing about a position with another NHL team oddly enough.

In fact:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1287092376482099201
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #57
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Keller is a 45 point player, he is a pretty average top 6 player who is soon to be very overpaid.
Keller has produced 0.67 points per game so far in his career, which is a 55 point pace.

That's his 19, 20 and 21 year old seasons.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2020, 03:25 PM   #58
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hayton might turn out if they don't wreak his development, playing him 4th line minutes isn't the right way to development.
He also passed on Quinn Hughes to take Hayton.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #59
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
He also passed on Quinn Hughes to take Hayton.
So did 6 other teams. Same way Peterson at 5 for Vancouver is a steal. But they passed on Tkachuk. You can’t get nail everyone.

If at that draft Treliving skipped the top Center on the board to take a lower D man we would have been calling for his head. They needed a center just as much as we do.

Last edited by MrMike; 07-25-2020 at 04:41 PM.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #60
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting. So maybe Chayka looking at another sports league or something else entirely. Apparently the guy owns a bunch of Wendy’s franchises so maybe he’s ready to start slinging burgers full time.

The guy does sound entrepreneurial so could be working for a sports franchise not his thing.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote