Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 PM   #1541
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Debates are dumb in principle. They don't reward ideas with merit, they reward rhetorical tactics, and they inordinately punish otherwise meaningless mistakes.

If I'm being generous the rhetorical skill and ability to think on one's feet are nice qualities for a president, but obviously it's not a necessity.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 05:10 AM   #1542
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm not an expert in television production, but wouldn't it be possible for the producers to mute all candidates' irectional microphones and only turn them on when prompted by the moderator?

That would solve some of the problems as the audio system and TV would only broadcast whomever had the floor.

I mean, that would work wouldn't it?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #1543
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Debates are dumb in principle. They don't reward ideas with merit, they reward rhetorical tactics, and they inordinately punish otherwise meaningless mistakes.

If I'm being generous the rhetorical skill and ability to think on one's feet are nice qualities for a president, but obviously it's not a necessity.
What's the alternative though? Unchallenged campaign ads and rallies?

Candidates should have to defend their positions and policies in some kind of forum.

What qualities are necessary for a president? It's kind of an odd job in that they don't have nearly the power to implement policies as say a Prime Minister with a majority government.

A big part of the job is to be persuasive in guiding congress to move in their desired direction. They should be able to make good, quick decisions, and use good judgement.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:05 AM   #1544
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
What's the alternative though? Unchallenged campaign ads and rallies?

Candidates should have to defend their positions and policies in some kind of forum.

What qualities are necessary for a president? It's kind of an odd job in that they don't have nearly the power to implement policies as say a Prime Minister with a majority government.

A big part of the job is to be persuasive in guiding congress to move in their desired direction. They should be able to make good, quick decisions, and use good judgement.
Some kind of cross between Scientific journals and Lean Six Sigma

Imagine a world of evidence based political policies... who am I kidding...

But you're right, there probably isn't anything better, not with how our whole system of media and publicity and decision making works.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #1545
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm not an expert in television production, but wouldn't it be possible for the producers to mute all candidates' irectional microphones and only turn them on when prompted by the moderator?

That would solve some of the problems as the audio system and TV would only broadcast whomever had the floor.

Its not a bad idea, but would put a great deal of authority in the hands of the moderator (and almost certainly lead to bellowing accusations of bias).
Old 02-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #1546
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
Its not a bad idea, but would put a great deal of authority in the hands of the moderator (and almost certainly lead to bellowing accusations of bias).
Yeah, Christ, you think conservatives are obnoxious now about "liberal media bias," just wait until Anderson Cooper mutes Trump's mic.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:13 AM   #1547
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Maybe do it Jeopardy style where the candidates have to press a button to get the mic and everyone else is cut off. Mic times out after 90 seconds or whatever. Let's see how those geezers do.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #1548
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Maybe do it Jeopardy style where the candidates have to press a button to get the mic and everyone else is cut off. Mic times out after 90 seconds or whatever. Let's see how those geezers do.
Oooh, and let's also have the moderator give the candidates the answers and the candidates have to provide the question.

Something like this:

Moderator: "This candidate wants to put healthcare decisions in the hands of a government death squad which will secretly be culling American Christians and small business owners"

Biden (pressing his button furiously): "WHO IS BERNIE SANDERS?!!"

Moderator: You got it.

Audience: [polite applause]
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #1549
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Theres no reason a crowd is needed either, adds nothing
I would love it if there were no crowds. How many times does Bernie give a stupid answer, skirting the question, just hoping/knowing that the crowd will bail him out with completely unwarranted applause? Would be beautiful to see these applause seekers on their own up there.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #1550
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

They are dumb in this format as they are just a vehicle to drive media coverage not actually vet candidates. If they wanted something meaningful it would need to be longer form with fewer candidates so folks could have actual discussions and debates. There would also need to be better formats to keep the discussions on policy and not he said/she said gotcha journalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

As noted above, its about theater not issues. They don't want an orderly debate that explains positions, they want a free for all that creates drama and headlines for the evening news.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:27 AM   #1551
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oooh, and let's also have the moderator give the candidates the answers and the candidates have to provide the question.

Something like this:

Moderator: "This candidate wants to put healthcare decisions in the hands of a government death squad which will secretly be culling American Christians and small business owners"

Not gonna lie, if that was the format, I'd totally watch it. They should have ALL debates like that lol.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #1552
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should end up being a pretty good show

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #1553
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^
That is kind of amazing and awesome. To think that a 78 year old white guy from Vermont could win over Public Enemy and gain their support for a political movement is actually really something.

Maybe they'll get to perform in Washington next January.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #1554
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #1555
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Bernie Sanders is really making me have to check myself continuously. Even though I don't believe in much of what he's preaching, I find myself mimicking Trumpists and taking pleasure in the frothy-mouthed reactions this old, 60s hippy senator is garnering from conservatives. Even on this board.

Not a good look, and I don't enjoy the pettiness it exposes in me.

That said, anytime anyone wants to equate the relative moral standing of Sanders and Trump, I hope they're among the first to be coronavirused.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #1556
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Bernie Sanders is really making me have to check myself continuously. Even though I don't believe in much of what he's preaching, I find myself mimicking Trumpists and taking pleasure in the frothy-mouthed reactions this old, 60s hippy senator is garnering from conservatives. Even on this board.

Not a good look, and I don't enjoy the pettiness it exposes in me.

That said, anytime anyone wants to equate the relative moral standing of Sanders and Trump, I hope they're among the first to be coronavirused.

Sanders policies are insane (to me) but he's genuine and that's everything in politics. This is something that Bloomberg's billions can't buy and he's finding that out very quickly. The Democratic party needs to more of that, it needs to take risks.

For as long as I can remember, the majority of Democratic politicians have been deeply, deeply afraid of taking strong stands on anything. McGovern’s loss still gets brought up constantly even though, for as bad as that loss was, the Dems were back in the White House four years later. You just don’t see that type of loss dwelling and fearful paralysis from the GOP.

So Pete’s robotic nature and carefully created (to the extreme) image is exactly what he was taught to do as a Democratic “rising star.” Kamala Harris, who was actually supposed to the “rising star” in 2020, killed her own campaign with a similar brand of contrived cautiousness, as her inability to take a stand on any issue reached absurd levels. The problems with this approach are that (a) it leads to watered down policy; and (b) a lot of voters see right through it.

Bernie is still the most popular candidate in the field, despite being a 78 year old heart attack survivor, because he projects the authenticity and genuine passion that is badly lacking in the Democratic Party. (And by virtue of him being NOT A DEMOCRAT, his staffers do too. AOC went from a bartender to one of the most visible politicians in America within a matter of weeks for the same reason. Maybe Bernie and AOC’s goals will prove to be too ambitious, but they at least have a vision for a better society, which has been sorely lacking from the Democratic Party as a whole.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 12:50 PM   #1557
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Something like this:

Repeated because this should have got a bunch of likes.

Great post
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #1558
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/biden-...lina-1.5481362

Quote:
Joe Biden scored a convincing victory in South Carolina's Democratic primary on Saturday, riding a wave of support from black voters and ending progressive rival Bernie Sanders's winning streak.

The victory came at a a crucial moment in Biden's 2020 bid as he bounced back from underwhelming performances in the first three contests and headed into "Super Tuesday," when voters in 14 states go to the polls and about a third of the delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination are at stake.

Biden hopes the South Carolina victory will be enough to establish him as the clear alternative to Sanders as the race quickly shifts nationwide. Standing in Biden's way, in addition to Sanders, is former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg, one of the world's richest men, who has spent more than half-a-billion dollars courting voters in dozens of states yet to vote.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:14 PM   #1559
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #1560
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

I am pretty ant Bernie but it’s pretty impressive a 78 year old can rally in Virginia Beach intobthe night and in California with public enemy tomorrow. That would exhaust me at my age.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote