Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2022, 10:00 AM   #5181
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another week another list of horror movies. This time we are talking all about remakes. I know when people hear the term remake they instantly assume the movie will be terrible and lots of times that's true *Nightmare on Elm Street I'm looking at you But sometimes they actually turn out good, so here are some good horror remakes to watch:

Rob Zombies Halloween
House of Wax
Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead
IT chapter 1&2
Friday the 13th
John Carpenter's The Thing
The Invisible Man
The Hills have Eyes
Suspiria
Evil Dead
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
House on Haunted Hill
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (70s version)
Black Xmas (2000s one)
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 12:38 PM   #5182
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I'll play. These aren't GOAT movies or anything but they are some of my favorites to watch (and rewatch) post-2000:

1. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Very simple coming of age love story that takes place over one day. I don't meet too many people who have seen this and those who do dismiss it as a run-of-the-mill romcom. It is not. Very likable leads (Michael Cera/Kat Dennings) with a slew of very funny cameos. I always thought that if I had the talent to make/write a movie it would be similar to this one. Killer soundtrack.

2. Defendor

Canadian-made movie that stars Woody Harrelson playing a mentally challenged homeless man that thinks he's a super hero. Good heart to the movie as it doesn't minimize the disability or situation.

3. Harry Brown

Geriatric John Wick. Admittedly there's a lot less violence but Michael Caine is very, very good in this film and highlights how underserved and ignored seniors are.

4. The Water Diviner

Ok, so I've only seen this Russell Crowe movie once but I was surprised by it. He directed it and takes place after WW1 where he goes to find the bodies of his dead sons. No, the premise isn't exactly chipper but I liked this one because it's a very rare adventure movie. You don't see those very often anymore.

5. The Highwaymen

This is a Netflix movie so I assume lots of people saw it but I haven't met a single one. Has Woody Harrelson and Kevin Costner (who, btw, I'm loving this late-stage grumpy Costner revival). Is about the people who caught Bonny and Clyde. I got slight Road to Perdition vibes.

6. Goodfellas

Haha, just kidding.
Off the top of my head, 2001's The Believer, starring Ryan Gosling freshly off the Young Hercules, Disney Mouseketeer phase of his career.

It's not feel good, (edit: And I missed the part of your post about rewatchable lol, I don't really want to watch this again). Tthe story centres around an American skinhead who leads a gang of neo-nazis dedicated to fighting the supposed Jewish conspiracy for world domination. The twist is he's a jewish-born scholar. The story is based on a real person.

There's a good reason many have never even heard of it. From Roger Ebert:
Quote:
Certainly the movie has been a hot potato. After a screening at the Simon Wiesenthal Center inspired audience members to protest it, no major distributor would pick it up. Showtime scheduled it for a cable showing, which was canceled in the aftermath of 9/11. Then it was finally shown in the spring and now has theatrical distribution from small Fireworks Pictures. In the meantime, to its Sundance awards it has added Independent Spirit Awards for best screenplay and best first feature (both to director Henry Bean), best actor (Ryan Gosling) and best supporting actress (Summer Phoenix).

Last edited by Sr. Mints; 10-17-2022 at 12:41 PM.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2022, 12:20 AM   #5183
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched The Empty Man.

Thought it was just some forgettable knock off of The Slender/Candy Man or The Ring... but its been getting some traction with some critics ... actually thought it was pretty interesting... some cosmic horror vibes.

Not sure if I would say I am 'recommending' it, as there are certainly some flaws with pacing and things that didn't really make sense at the end (its 2hr 17 min which is pretty crazy for a first time director).

That said, its pretty interesting and very well shot... worth checking out if you want to try a different kind of horror film

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 10-22-2022 at 12:24 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #5184
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Halloween Ends on streaming last night. Wasn't expecting much and yet still was disappointed. Really no redeeming qualities. Characters are lame, not scary and the ending was just stupid IMO.

Sounds like there are some good original scary movies out now. We should have gone in that direction.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:10 AM   #5185
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked halloween ends . some great "wtf" dialogue in it that could only come from the mind of jamie lee curtis . the misdirect in the intro was also amusing . obviously not a great movie or anything but compared to kills it was a smashing success . I liked the final show down between Laurie and Michael . at this point what do you expect from this franchise ? just have fun with it .. i had fun
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 12:30 AM   #5186
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
I liked halloween ends . some great "wtf" dialogue in it that could only come from the mind of jamie lee curtis . the misdirect in the intro was also amusing . obviously not a great movie or anything but compared to kills it was a smashing success . I liked the final show down between Laurie and Michael . at this point what do you expect from this franchise ? just have fun with it .. i had fun

I liked it as well. Not my favorite movie of the franchise, but I thought it was still a pretty decent ride and a satisfying ending for Laurie Strode IMO. Beautifully shot as well. Some of it worked, some of it didn't. But I still had a good time. In fact I quite enjoyed the entire trilogy.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 12:57 AM   #5187
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I have them rated on Letterboxd as:
Halloween 2018: 3.5/5
Halloween Kills 2021: 1.5/5
Halloween Ends 2022: 2.5/5

This one wasn't particularly good, but it was quite a bit more fun than Kills.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 09:39 AM   #5188
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Halloween Ends was fine. At least they didn't link it to some sort of paranormal spooky voodoo thing.

I'll recommend a couple good Halloween horror flicks I watch every year.

1. As above, so below. Probably the best Shakey cam movie. Paris Catacombs are the perfect place for it.
2. 1999's The Haunting. Campy remake of a classic with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones. Yes there's better, but not as fun.
3. Event Horizon. You know you love it.
4. The Exorcist. Duh.
5. The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Sure, it's a court drama but its a spooky court drama!

6. Session 9.

Oh also the Conjuring movies. So good.

Last edited by dammage79; 10-23-2022 at 09:42 AM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #5189
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I thought Halloween Ends was fine. At least they didn't link it to some sort of paranormal spooky voodoo thing.

I'll recommend a couple good Halloween horror flicks I watch every year.

1. As above, so below. Probably the best Shakey cam movie. Paris Catacombs are the perfect place for it.
2. 1999's The Haunting. Campy remake of a classic with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones. Yes there's better, but not as fun.
3. Event Horizon. You know you love it.
4. The Exorcist. Duh.
5. The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Sure, it's a court drama but its a spooky court drama!

6. Session 9.

Oh also the Conjuring movies. So good.
Good list! Event Horizon scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it. Very spooky movie with a terrific cast, not to mention incredibly gory.

Session 9 is creepy as hell and very underrated.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #5190
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Good list! Event Horizon scared the bejesus out of me when I first saw it. Very spooky movie with a terrific cast, not to mention incredibly gory.

Session 9 is creepy as hell and very underrated.
Fun story about Session 9. I watched it with my best friend at the time in Exshaw, during a thunder storm while we smoked a ton of weed. The power went out about half way through the movie. It left our weed adled minds scarred for life.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #5191
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I watched Clerks III, mostly out of a feeling of obligation. It's not a good movie, but it's a decent wrapup (hopefully) of the Clerk's universe.

I've also been watching classic horror movies I haven't seen in awhile. This weekend it was Carrie and The Omen, both from '76. Carrie is still damn near perfect and The Omen is great too, if a little long.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2022, 05:16 PM   #5192
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dream Horse is a fun little movie in the spirit of Waking Ned Devine. If you like that kind of thing. Which I do.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 07:51 PM   #5193
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Hocus Pocus 2 was the worst movie I'd seen in YEARS, but I'm only 1/3 into The School of Good and Evil and Netflix is really giving Disney a run for its money.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:24 PM   #5194
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone mention Terrifier 2 yet?

Opening here on Fri:

https://www.landmarkcinemas.com/film-info/terrifier-2
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #5195
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

Opening here on Fri:

Omg I watched both 1 and 2 the other night. If you are a gore hound you will love these. I watched with my wife while she had her face covered pretty much the entire time. I really enjoyed both of them, not your typical horror/slashers. Acting a bit weak in the first one and wasn't a fan of the teen boy in the second one but ART the CLOWN made it all worthwhile.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #5196
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post

Opening here on Fri:

One of the grossest horror movies I've seen.

It's a lot of fun though if you're into those types of movies (and liked the 1st).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #5197
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm actually not a fan of slasher films at all but I love the stories of theater goers passing out and vomiting, love the hype and that it's made $5M on a $250K budget.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #5198
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Barbarian was alright. Definitely would have been much better seeing it in a theatre
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 08:20 AM   #5199
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Barbarian was alright. Definitely would have been much better seeing it in a theatre
Would you drink the milk?

bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 09:14 AM   #5200
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I just watched that last night too. Going into it not knowing anything is definitely the way to go. I enjoyed it and my mind was working OT trying to figure it all out as it was unfolding.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post: