Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #3141
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I was too harsh on Marvel actors. I just found a drop the amount of good films they do post Marvel career and maybe I am just remembering their bad stuff - Ghost in the Machine; Doolittle; etc.

I don’t even remember Sam Rockwell being in Iron Man 2.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #3142
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quiet Place 2 was bad. We laughed a lot at how dumb all the characters were. Plot was a total rehash of the first one with the characters ending up in the exact same position as they were at the end of the first movie.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #3143
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm not a comic book person, but the fact I never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Black Widow, Vision, The Scarlet Witch, and almost every villain before the MCU makes me think they are going to do just fine.

Marvel's earned my trust on a lot of things, so even though I have never heard of The Eternals or Shang Chi I will be right there with my wallet.

It's fun, I enjoy the stories, and after the first 3 phases and the payoff you can feel free to sign me up for another.
Same. And their share of my pocketbook.

But it is all very temporary and we all know it's only a matter of time before fatigue sets in and we see interest wane a little. It seems the goal is to make the MCU TV and movie properties so vast that you don't need to plug into every single one of them to remain a fan.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:47 AM   #3144
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I still really enjoy Marvel movies and you all sound pretty bitter. It's like 2, maybe 3 movies a year out of literally hundreds of releases - you could go see a different movie every week and never see a Marvel movie.

Like yeah, they get the biggest budgets and most hype, but Hollywood was barrelling towards franchises dominating the box office well before Iron Man rolled out. Can't blame Marvel for doing it the best.
If I sound bitter it's because I am. How many movies of people in tights with superpowers do we need? Maybe it's more of a Disney thing as it's not only Marvel as I don't care for what Disney has done with the Star Wars franchise either. It's telling that the Mandalorian is the best thing they have done with the franchise since taking it over. Instead of revitalizing the franchise after Lucas lost his edge they spit out a bunch of junk movies in rapid progression to cash in. I simply see a lot of parallels between EA and Disney as I'm just not a fan of the massive corporation that's got the masses hooked on merely average entertainment. I'm in the minority obviously but I'm not an outlier as plenty of other people feel this way as well as highly acclaimed directors and actors. In time this will pass as all trends do and this time of cinema will not be looked at fondly IMO.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #3145
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really liked Diamantino! On Prime and MUBI I think
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #3146
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Marvel will suffer going forward if they can't get hella good story writing though, they have used up all their baseline characters that we all recognize from child hood and now have moved on to trying to support a franchise on the second tier.

I think what they've done has been fantastic, even with a few glitches. I mean come on, it's comic books not shakespere. haha

I do think they should have done Black Widow earlier though, it seems like they were forced into giving Scarjo her own movie, and given how things went in Endgame it's just anticlimactic and I think that is prejudicing people before they even go. It would have been nice to have it tie in earlier because she's great and deserves a stand alone.
I have some bad news.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 11:56 AM   #3147
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked the Black Widow movie. Total one off and unnecessary, but fine.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #3148
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Tomorrow war felt like a long commercial but I'm not sure what they were selling.
Prime memberships
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:51 PM   #3149
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Marvel will suffer going forward if they can't get hella good story writing though, they have used up all their baseline characters that we all recognize from child hood and now have moved on to trying to support a franchise on the second tier.

I think what they've done has been fantastic, even with a few glitches. I mean come on, it's comic books not shakespere. haha

I do think they should have done Black Widow earlier though, it seems like they were forced into giving Scarjo her own movie, and given how things went in Endgame it's just anticlimactic and I think that is prejudicing people before they even go. It would have been nice to have it tie in earlier because she's great and deserves a stand alone.

KF wanted to make Black Widow a lot earlier but was told no by Ike Perlmutter when he lead Marvel.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spetch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #3150
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
How many movies of people in tights with superpowers do we need?
as many as are required in order to make all of the money. once that stops happening, then you'll get your wish and the industry will pivot to the next thing that will blow up the cash register with oversaturation.

peoples' dissatisfaction with the lack of art and the sheer pervasiveness of a popular IP have approximately zero or negative effect on studio decision making. your only choice is to just ignore it if you don't like it, and dig a bit deeper for the stuff you do want to watch instead.

that being said, I had a bit of fun watching Black Widow. brutal Russian accents, great assassin sister chemistry. the last comic movie I physically saw in theatres pre-covid was Harley Quinn, so it was nice to get the taste of that one out of my mouth.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #3151
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm looking forward to Ghostbusters. Looks like it will be quality and it'll be fun watching for us given how much of it was shot around here.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:00 PM   #3152
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
If I sound bitter it's because I am. How many movies of people in tights with superpowers do we need? Maybe it's more of a Disney thing as it's not only Marvel as I don't care for what Disney has done with the Star Wars franchise either. It's telling that the Mandalorian is the best thing they have done with the franchise since taking it over. Instead of revitalizing the franchise after Lucas lost his edge they spit out a bunch of junk movies in rapid progression to cash in. I simply see a lot of parallels between EA and Disney as I'm just not a fan of the massive corporation that's got the masses hooked on merely average entertainment. I'm in the minority obviously but I'm not an outlier as plenty of other people feel this way as well as highly acclaimed directors and actors. In time this will pass as all trends do and this time of cinema will not be looked at fondly IMO.
The reason Mandalorian is the best Star Wars property right now is because Disney hired the right people to do it, people who actually care about Star Wars and were fans as kids, unlike the new failed trilogy. That's also the reason the Marvel stuff does so well, because the people calling the shots actually care about the characters and do the comic book stories justice. I would understand being bitter of comic book movies if everything was the same quality as DC's schlock, but as someone who grew up with Marvel characters the MCU is awesome. If that's not your cup of tea then fine, totally understandable. But trying to suggest that Marvel is dragging down all of cinema is laughably melodramatic
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:55 AM   #3153
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
But trying to suggest that Marvel is dragging down all of cinema is laughably melodramatic
Again this isn't just my opinion. Many in the cinema industry believe this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 AM   #3154
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolfcop. Recommend if you like a really campy made-in-Canada production.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 04:46 PM   #3155
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again this isn't just my opinion. Many in the cinema industry believe this.
People in the industry are always saying that currently popular thing is dragging the industry down. It's just one of those things people always say, like "kids these days".
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 05:05 PM   #3156
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
People in the industry are always saying that currently popular thing is dragging the industry down. It's just one of those things people always say, like "kids these days".
I'm sure there were a lot of critics moaning about the slew of action movies in the 80's and 90's with the same core actors (Willis, Schwarzenegger, Stallone) and how they were "destroying cinema", they always have to be counter culture to try to stay relevant. 30 years from now the Avengers-era Marvel movies will still be remembered fondly and no one will care that some film purists got their jimmies rustled
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 05:26 PM   #3157
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wolfcop. Recommend if you like a really campy made-in-Canada production.
Classic! One of the last movies shot in and around Moose Jaw before they axed the film tax credit. Those were good times.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #3158
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Classic! One of the last movies shot in and around Moose Jaw before they axed the film tax credit. Those were good times.

One of my roommates was an actor and was in some movies being filmed around Saskatoon.

There was this one called, “Crisis”, it was a big deal, even though there weren’t any big stars in it, people were around the neighborhood were excited - like a weird Tragically Hip “Blow at High Dough” kind of vibe. Anyway, the movie was pretty much what I imagined Michael Scott’s, “Threat Level Midnight“ would have been.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:46 PM   #3159
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's pretty cool. We had a couple big ones here and the vibe was pretty much the same. Lots of people got to be extras and it's pretty cool seeing sets that you know and frequent. We had a Ryan Reynolds comedy and Charlize Theron produced a drama. Nothing oscar worthy but still very cool.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 03:23 PM   #3160
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched The Last of the Mohicans this weekend for the first time. The movie itself is decent, beautifully shot and the era is really interesting. Anyone have recommendations on other movies that are of the same era (French/English/Indian war of the 1700's)?

The soundtrack though was one of the best I've ever heard. I'm a huge score buff and I can't believe I've never heard this one before. It's spectacular.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post: