Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2021, 08:26 PM   #3121
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Widow was meh, at best. Might have had more impact if not for the events of Endgame.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2021, 10:49 PM   #3122
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Inuyashiki 2018

Unlike anything I have seen. Don't know how to rate it just yet but highly recommend.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #3123
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Black Widow was meh, at best. Might have had more impact if not for the events of Endgame.
Yeah, pretty boring. Can't believe the run these Marvel movies have had. They are all so glaringly mediocre.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 12:51 PM   #3124
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People love superhero movies, and Marvel's 'mediocre' is better than most other available options out there in that genre.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #3125
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, pretty boring. Can't believe the run these Marvel movies have had. They are all so glaringly mediocre.
I stopped at Dr. Strange, oh I mean BatmanInceptionBegins Part 2, and never looked back.
Old 07-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #3126
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iron Man
Captain America: The First Avenger
The Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2
Black Panther
Thor: Ragnarok
Infinity War
Endgame

All excellent films entirely on their own, so I certainly wouldn't say "all". While there are certainly a few mediocre drops in there (I'm looking at you Dark World and IR3), the fact they took a cohesive 11 year arc and stuck the landing is pretty impressive. It really isn't that hard to figure out their longevity and the trust fans have in Phase 4.

EDIT: And I neglected to include both Deadpools, which aren't official cannon.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 07-13-2021 at 01:22 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #3127
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm a little nervous when I see things like it's similar to Bourne or James Bond. I don't know if those movies work as well if the main characters wear superhero outfits, have goofy code names and there is a need to shoehorn in characters from comic books.

But they will still get my money for it sometime over the next few days.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:41 PM   #3128
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I stopped at Dr. Strange, oh I mean BatmanInceptionBegins Part 2, and never looked back.
I love going to movies and this crappy franchise has limited the number of options out there for actually good movies for so many years that I end up going to them just because there's nothing else to see with my family. Like, make something cool like Back to the Future for families who have evolved past pea-brain plots and superheroes in fataing absurd costumes and dumb backstories.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #3129
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have passed the point of comic book movie fatigue and moving towards disdain for them. To me they are the Call of Duty of the film industry. Started off great but after years of saturation are merely average games that are massive sellers that get pumped out as fast as they can stunting innovation in the industry as smaller studios that make better games can't compete against the hype. They spend so much on the actors and special effects that there's bound to be some redeeming qualities about some of these comic book movies but now they are starting to make movies and TV series about uninteresting heroes and you would love to see film companies put efforts into new stories and ideas.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-13-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #3130
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still really enjoy Marvel movies and you all sound pretty bitter. It's like 2, maybe 3 movies a year out of literally hundreds of releases - you could go see a different movie every week and never see a Marvel movie.

Like yeah, they get the biggest budgets and most hype, but Hollywood was barrelling towards franchises dominating the box office well before Iron Man rolled out. Can't blame Marvel for doing it the best.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 03:28 PM   #3131
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel movies are where once brilliant acting careers go to fade.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #3132
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I still really enjoy Marvel movies and you all sound pretty bitter. It's like 2, maybe 3 movies a year out of literally hundreds of releases - you could go see a different movie every week and never see a Marvel movie.

Like yeah, they get the biggest budgets and most hype, but Hollywood was barrelling towards franchises dominating the box office well before Iron Man rolled out. Can't blame Marvel for doing it the best.
Bingo.

FF9 just came out. There were like 5 Twilight movies, 7 or 8 HP movies, 5 SW movies in the last 6 years, Transformers have half a dozen releases etc.

Marvel dominates every single one of those franchises when it comes to quality and variety.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #3133
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Marvel movies are where once brilliant acting careers go to fade.
Well....kind of, yeah. They make money.

People call it 'The Marvel Formula' for a reason. Its a step-by-step process to making money. There is serious cash all around Marvel movies.

The Actors, the Studios, the Crews, you just mix and match, stir the Formula a little and voila! Like magic, Money comes out!

Many actors are in this strictly for the Cash, so Marvel movies are great for that. How much money have some of these actors suckled out of Marvel?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #3134
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously they’re in it for the money. I just wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch Scarlett Johansson, Paul Bettany, Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, etc will ever be in anything meaningful again. Has anyone escaped being typecast as an action/adventure actor after drinking from the Marvel well?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 04:33 PM   #3135
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Obviously they’re in it for the money. I just wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch Scarlett Johansson, Paul Bettany, Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, etc will ever be in anything meaningful again. Has anyone escaped being typecast as an action/adventure actor after drinking from the Marvel well?
Is this sarcasm? Marvel is making careers left and right. Actors take pay cuts to star in marvel movies because they know it’s like doing the super bowl halftime show, it guarantees you’ll be a star for a long time.

ScarJo was nominated for an Oscar 2 years ago in a BP nominated movie well after she started with Marvel, BP winner this year Chloe Zhao is directing Eternals, Anthony Hopkins just won best actor Oscar after his numerous appearances as Odin, Hugh Jackman won a best actor at the golden globes after he did wolverine and his last big non marvel movie was a musical, Benedict Cumberbatch is a megastar who has done numerous award nominated movies, Mark Ruffalo was in a BP winner after he did Avengers, Dave Bautista has been cast in Denis Villeneuve movies, Sam Rockwell won an Oscar after his career took off from starring in Iron Man 2.

Marvel is an academy award winner and Hollywood megastar factory. Calling them career killers is so off base it’s laughable.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-13-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 04:41 PM   #3136
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm also sure RDJ won't be crying too many tears into his hundred of millions of dollars over not getting cast in a best picture winner again or whatever.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #3137
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Is this sarcasm? Marvel is making careers left and right. Actors take pay cuts to star in marvel movies because they know it’s like doing the super bowl halftime show, it guarantees you’ll be a star for a long time.

ScarJo was nominated for an Oscar 2 years ago in a BP nominated movie well after she started with Marvel, BP winner this year Chloe Zhao is directing Eternals, Anthony Hopkins just won best actor Oscar after his numerous appearances as Odin, Hugh Jackman won a best actor at the golden globes after he did wolverine and his last big non marvel movie was a musical, Benedict Cumberbatch is a megastar who has done numerous award nominated movies, Mark Ruffalo was in a BP winner after he did Avengers, Dave Bautista has been cast in Denis Villeneuve movies, Sam Rockwell won an Oscar after his career took off from starring in Iron Man 2.

Marvel is an academy award winner and Hollywood megastar factory. Calling them career killers is so off base it’s laughable.
Yeah, that was a really strange take.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 07-13-2021, 07:38 PM   #3138
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Marvel will suffer going forward if they can't get hella good story writing though, they have used up all their baseline characters that we all recognize from child hood and now have moved on to trying to support a franchise on the second tier.

I think what they've done has been fantastic, even with a few glitches. I mean come on, it's comic books not shakespere. haha

I do think they should have done Black Widow earlier though, it seems like they were forced into giving Scarjo her own movie, and given how things went in Endgame it's just anticlimactic and I think that is prejudicing people before they even go. It would have been nice to have it tie in earlier because she's great and deserves a stand alone.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 07:46 PM   #3139
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should have just put Endgame off longer and had that movie happen around the same time as Captain Marvel or Ant Man 2. Endgame came out in April, couldn't have hurt to release it in June.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #3140
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Marvel will suffer going forward if they can't get hella good story writing though, they have used up all their baseline characters that we all recognize from child hood and now have moved on to trying to support a franchise on the second tier.

I think what they've done has been fantastic, even with a few glitches. I mean come on, it's comic books not shakespere. haha

I do think they should have done Black Widow earlier though, it seems like they were forced into giving Scarjo her own movie, and given how things went in Endgame it's just anticlimactic and I think that is prejudicing people before they even go. It would have been nice to have it tie in earlier because she's great and deserves a stand alone.
I'm not a comic book person, but the fact I never heard of Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Black Widow, Vision, The Scarlet Witch, and almost every villain before the MCU makes me think they are going to do just fine.

Marvel's earned my trust on a lot of things, so even though I have never heard of The Eternals or Shang Chi I will be right there with my wallet.

It's fun, I enjoy the stories, and after the first 3 phases and the payoff you can feel free to sign me up for another.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: