Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2020, 03:41 PM   #2181
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ah, Mandarin. From a distance it looked like it said Hungarian.

Edit: and the two foreign films actually look pretty good, just took a peek at the trailers. Might have to check em out. Still pretty funny that Tenet is playing in half the theatres.

Also that "Unhinged" movie with Russell Crowe looks straight from a Walmart clearance bin.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 09-06-2020 at 04:39 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #2182
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ah, Mandarin. From a distance it looked like it said Hungarian.

Edit: and the two foreign films actually look pretty good, just took a peek at the trailers. Might have to check em out. Still pretty funny that Tenet is playing in half the theatres.

Also that "Unhinged" movie with Russell Crowe looks straight from a Walmart clearance bin.
I actually enjoyed it. Not much of a storyline but lots of crashed vehicles and people getting killed. Russel Crowe was huge, by that I mean weight wise. He was perfect for the role.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #2183
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I stumbled across an Australians time-travel/Sci-fi movie last night called Pre-determined. Stars Ethan Hawke (who I think is under-rated) and got a lot of attention down under, but i don't recall hearing much about it up here. Anyways if you like time travel stuff, it's a good one - but as with most, don't tug on the logical thread too hard, as it probably all falls apart. But I would recommend.
Predestination
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #2184
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Given your list you will enjoy Suspiria. As a horror movie fan I'm drawn to artsy type of horror shows because I find a lot of the regular ones are too generic and not scary or frightening at all. The Colour Out of Space fits this criteria but unfortunately it's a little too bad to be recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
+1 for Suspiria. I’m not a huge horror fan at all so it takes a pretty “good” movie to make me sit through one. The one parallel dance scene in that movie haunts my dream for real. So beautifully filmed but absolutely a shock to sit through.
Watched it over the weekend.

Yeah, it was great and pretty insane!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #2185
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A good friend of mine is considering shutting down his theatre in High River for a period of time. The attendance has not been good and he struggles some weeks just to cover the cost of the movie rental, employees and utilities.

We've been showing classics from the past as the rental costs are much lower and have had up and down results. Showing double features on weekends for a 2 for $7 rate still doesn't draw great numbers. Last weekend we gambled on "Unhinged" and had break even results. Predicting what people will come to watch is a coin toss.

When a major studio requests that he has to show "Tenet" for a minimum of 4 weeks, that isn't going to work financialy. Disney is another studio that is very difficult to deal with. You can tell the studio as much but they don't care. A friend of his owns the Napier in Drumheller and he made the mistake of taking "Tenet". In the second week he was averaging 6-10 people per night and he's not happy.

All the above makes me wonder how the big chains are surviving. It's clear people are still afraid to go the movies because of this pandemic
Old 09-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #2186
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the old movies that I see being screened have been of the Avatar and Jurassic Park 2 variety. I think that there would be a better response with genre movies. Some classic sci-fi (Robocop/Starship Troopers) and horror (Army of Darkness/Cabin in the Woods), some simple marketing. Classic feelgood movies one generation old (Blues Brothers). Couldn't be that expensive, and you could rotate quickly through them.

I've thought that weekday matinees should be done like this for a while. Things that would be great to see on a big screen.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #2187
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Most of the old movies that I see being screened have been of the Avatar and Jurassic Park 2 variety. I think that there would be a better response with genre movies. Some classic sci-fi (Robocop/Starship Troopers) and horror (Army of Darkness/Cabin in the Woods), some simple marketing. Classic feelgood movies one generation old (Blues Brothers). Couldn't be that expensive, and you could rotate quickly through them.

I've thought that weekday matinees should be done like this for a while. Things that would be great to see on a big screen.
A few weeks after reopening we did a combo of Grease and Dirty Dancing which drew a lot of women, especially for the later as they all wanted to see Patrick Swayze. Another weekend that did well was a combo of "ET" and "Jaws".
Old 09-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #2188
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
All the above makes me wonder how the big chains are surviving. It's clear people are still afraid to go the movies because of this pandemic
fear of infection, plus many people realizing that they prefer the home movie viewing experience over the theatre. not all, but many. my unoriginal prediction is that the theatre business never returns to its previous state and permanently contracts to serve viewings where there are clear advantages over streaming.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:01 AM   #2189
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
fear of infection, plus many people realizing that they prefer the home movie viewing experience over the theatre. not all, but many. my unoriginal prediction is that the theatre business never returns to its previous state and permanently contracts to serve viewings where there are clear advantages over streaming.
It used to be that studios would give the theatres a few months before a new release went to the streaming services. Now they want to break that model and stream it when it's being released in theatres. That would kill the big chains and smaller movie houses.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #2190
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It used to be that studios would give the theatres a few months before a new release went to the streaming services. Now they want to break that model and stream it when it's being released in theatres. That would kill the big chains and smaller movie houses.
It's not breaking any model, it's recognizing people's desires have changed, and technology has opened up new avenues for entertainment. Will theatres have to adapt? Ya. Will some go out of business? Probably. Welcome to the world.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #2191
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

If theaters die, do feature length movies die with it? My appetite for watching movies at home is way down from years ago. I still enjoy going to a premium movie theater a few times a year.

If I'm at home, I'm much more likely to watch a series than a movie. It used to be only movies would have the acting and writing talent, and production quality, but TV has more than caught up to that. Most stories are better told over a 10-13 episode series than a 2 hour movie. I just don't see the need for the format if watching at home is the only option.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #2192
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's not breaking any model, it's recognizing people's desires have changed, and technology has opened up new avenues for entertainment. Will theatres have to adapt? Ya. Will some go out of business? Probably. Welcome to the world.
It's breaking a long standing business model that has existed between studios and movie theatres. Theatres were given 60 to 75 days before the movie went to streaming. It will cause theatre owners to question weather showing a movie that will go to streaming also, to be profitable enough to show.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #2193
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's breaking a long standing business model that has existed between studios and movie theatres. Theatres were given 60 to 75 days before the movie went to streaming. It will cause theatre owners to question weather showing a movie that will go to streaming also, to be profitable enough to show.
And the automobile "broke" the business model of horse drawn carriages. These things happen. Resisting and holing out hope that things will go back to how they were in the before times never works out. Ask Blockbuster.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #2194
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I mentioned something similar in the Arena thread.

How long is it going to take for people to pack Sports Arenas? Same with Movie Theatres. A lot of people were avoiding the movie-going experience as it was....now?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #2195
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw The New Mutants.

I'm hesitant to recommend it, but I really liked it. It's got personality and heart and the ideas of a really good movie there, the pieces just never really quite click like they'd need. The acting also is very "teen movie" standard.

As a kid who basically grew up on X-men comics though, this movie has got "it" more than any other X-franchise movie, in the "I don't know what I want, but I know when I see it" sense. This wasn't the best, but this was "it". If you're a Marvel/X-Men/superhero fan, I highly recommend checking it out just for variety. lt's also just a little over 1,5h so it's not a huge commitment
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:02 AM   #2196
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
And the automobile "broke" the business model of horse drawn carriages. These things happen. Resisting and holing out hope that things will go back to how they were in the before times never works out. Ask Blockbuster.
And yet a chain like AMC was able to work out an agreement with Universal Pictures.

Quote:
Terms of the deal weren't disclosed, but AMC will get a share of the premium video-on-demand revenue.

"The theatrical experience continues to be the cornerstone of our business," said Donna Langley, chairman of Universal Filmed Entertainment Group. "The partnership we've forged with AMC is driven by our collective desire to ensure a thriving future for the film distribution ecosystem and to meet consumer demand with flexibility and optionality."

Defending the impact at the box office, Aron said that the first three weeks of ticket sales is when "a considerable majority of a movie's theatrical box office revenue typically is generated."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...rsal-1.5667096
Old 09-10-2020, 06:10 AM   #2197
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume that's the studios throwing AMC a lifeline for awhile. You don't just pay someone for doing nothing. I suspect this deal won't last all that long, if the studios see success in the direct to consumer model.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #2198
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Tenet was, really not good.

Wtf did I just watch?

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 09-11-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2020, 11:51 PM   #2199
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I assume that's the studios throwing AMC a lifeline for awhile. You don't just pay someone for doing nothing. I suspect this deal won't last all that long, if the studios see success in the direct to consumer model.
As long as the studios see movie theatres as a viable option, the agreement will last. That said I agree with you in that it could be a very short marriage.

Anyhow, some interesting stats to add to the equation.

Watching movies in the theater vs. via a streaming service U.S. 2018-2020

Quote:
According to a study held in March 2020, just 18 percent of adults said that they strongly preferred seeing a movie for the first time in a theater, and 27 percent said that they would much rather stream the film at home than visit a cinema. Preferences for watching a new release in a cinema instead of via a streaming service in the United States changed significantly between 2018 and 2020, signaling a shift in consumer behavior and potentially a risk for movie theaters in the country.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...tching-movies/

Last edited by Dion; 09-11-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:41 AM   #2200
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Tenet yesterday. Entire family had activities so headed to theatre myself. Almost had the place to myself on Sunday afternoon. Finally 3 people showed up so wasn't too worried about getting infected.

As for the movie. Man it looks amazing. Beautifully shot and it's truly a spectacle. And it definitely keeps you engaged.

But in the end somewhat disappointing. The "protagonist" seemed to lack any depth and I found myself not really caring about him and his relationships. And while the concept is complex as hell and I still find myself thinking about the mechanics, the plot itself is rather thin.

The acting is average, except for Branagh who is always great and Elizabeth Debicki.
Spoiler!

It is worth seeing IMO but not everything I was hoping for.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote