Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2020, 06:10 PM   #1201
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Thought that I’d take a quick moment to note the historic market we saw today. I honestly can’t imagine we’ll ever see a day like that again. Big, blue chip companies shooting up to double digit or high single digit gains in a single day. Many companies have an entire year of returns. It’s really remarkable. While some like the cruise lines and airlines are sort of expected (though a 30-40% gain is still a lot!), companies like JP Morgan, Visa, Bank of America and many others also participated in significant jumps.

Canada was also along for the ride. Air Canada, a lot of energy companies and others rose on the day.

Like I say, my opinion is that this is a remarkable event. When you have these enormous companies rising by these amounts, it’s definitely not routine!
Yeah, that was a nice surprise. I definitely lightened up on some "risk on" names.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:13 PM   #1202
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pretty insane day.. Methanex has been on fire for me since I bought back in early May. My pipeline mid stream stocks.. not so much.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:32 PM   #1203
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, pretty insane day. My biggest gain was DPST (US Regional Banks)..went up 49%. It's a 3x ETF, so volatility is expected...but I've never seen that type of rise in 1 day before.

Safe to assume things will meander back down over the next few days?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #1204
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been watching TD with a nice dividend yield. Told myself I would buy when it dropped below $60.

Was $58 a week ago. Today $65. Too late?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #1205
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Been watching TD with a nice dividend yield. Told myself I would buy when it dropped below $60.

They traditionally hover between 70-80$ over the past 3-4 years. They took a big hit in March (as did everyone) but have done nothing but climb since.

I'd say they go up another 20% over the course of a few months and hover there. Like you say, it's a healthy dividend so it's a safe bet regardless, IMO.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 02:25 PM   #1206
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post

you can buy it in intervals if you want to invest in TD long term and not want to worry about the price fluctuations.

Buy a certain % of block of your overall cash, and then schedule regular intervals to buy out the rest.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #1207
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving the market right now, anyone taking any profits or riding it out? I am tempted to take some profit just before Black Friday.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:34 AM   #1208
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's good to see, but I'm slightly annoyed as I was all set to add a non-insignificant amount to GBTC/bitcoin, and while waiting for it to pull back...just slowly watching it march higher and higher every day for almost two weeks now.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #1209
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's good to see, but I'm slightly annoyed as I was all set to add a non-insignificant amount to GBTC/bitcoin, and while waiting for it to pull back...just slowly watching it march higher and higher every day for almost two weeks now.
I feel like that happens to me for any stock I want to buy.

Then you buy it, and it makes a retreat for 2 weeks before pulling back up....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #1210
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
I feel like that happens to me for any stock I want to buy.

Then you buy it, and it makes a retreat for 2 weeks before pulling back up....
This is the story of my life. Generally, I try to I open a new position in three lots once it hits my target price. IPL was at my target price and then immediately jumped so now I only have 1/3 of my target in there.

Now to wait for a pullback....
Old 11-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #1211
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I hopped into GBTC today. It may go down, but I think its decent to have some exposure to bitcoin. Could be a safe haven once we see the impacts of all this debt being issued.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 01:02 PM   #1212
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I found the following absolutely fascinating.

https://betterdwelling.com/cmhc-find...t-as-it-seems/

Quote:
The CMHC notes under normal circumstances, a falling ratio would mean an improvement. However, during the pandemic, this indicator is a little broken. Currently the ratio is falling in most cities, while primary income has decreased. The state-owned insurer found primary income fell 7.4% in Q2 2020, while mortgage debt was rising. This would normally lead to a rising ratio.

Government transfers change this ratio dramatically though. The organization estimates CERB boosted incomes by about $50 billion in the quarter. This worked out to nearly 13% of total income. To put it bluntly, government assistance was larger than the amount of income lost. Hence the falling mortgage debt to income ratios, since they’re calculated in aggregate.
This is showing that Canada's support measures are leaving Canadian house holds better off than the same period in the prior year even though debt has increased as well. It lines up to something discussed earlier where you have people who were making more on the support payments than they were in their jobs.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #1213
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Loving the market right now, anyone taking any profits or riding it out? I am tempted to take some profit just before Black Friday.
I sold some lithium stock a couple day ago (before it went up another 30%). Not worried though as I only took out my initial investment and am just riding the profit wherever it goes now.

Now I'm pretty much holding as my pre pandemic stocks recover, and otherwise looking for opportunities to jump in. Focusing at the moment on some beaten down REITs as that looks to me like where the value is at the moment. Curious what others see as big gainers over the rest of 2020.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #1214
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Although Toronto rents are down, as we come out of the pandemic I am thinking about residential apartment REITS like CAP REIT and Killam.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #1215
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's not sexy to talk about, but what are some good Series D MFs for returns that beat inflation, but are moderate to low risk?

It's for my kids' educations.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 02:30 PM   #1216
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I know it's not sexy to talk about, but what are some good Series D MFs for returns that beat inflation, but are moderate to low risk?

It's for my kids' educations.
If the timeline is 15-20 years down the road, I would suggest a higher risk mutual fund.

You will be dollar cost averaging over those years, and your rate of return will be higher by the end of it.

I went with the generic low risk RBC mutual funds to start, then realized they still have 15-16 years to go on it, so I took some risks and now are currently at an unrealized gains of 40% and 15% in their accounts with another 13-14 years before they start school.

not sure what education costs are going to be like in 13-14 years, but one account already has enough to cover what I paid for 4 years of tuition....
Old 11-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #1217
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just buying SPY with my kid's RESP
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #1218
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why I worded it that way. Yes, I want something with good returns and can handle some risk since it's a long timeline. I just don't want it to be too risky.

But what are some good ones out there? I have RBF1042 and CIF833 as well as some others. Just looking to have about 5-8 solid ones to hang onto for the long haul.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:57 PM   #1219
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm not sure why I worded it that way. Yes, I want something with good returns and can handle some risk since it's a long timeline. I just don't want it to be too risky.

But what are some good ones out there? I have RBF1042 and CIF833 as well as some others. Just looking to have about 5-8 solid ones to hang onto for the long haul.
Mawer balanced fund, Mawer global balanced fund.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #1220
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What is everyone's thoughts on Air Canada at $20 with the likelihood of coming out of the pandemic in the upcoming year? I have this feeling that once the front line workers and highest risk citizens are vaccinated we're going to see a quicker return to normal plus an explosion of people trying to travel after being couped up for over a year.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-18-2020 at 03:04 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote