Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #2261
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you're good at trading, I think there's still money to be made. If you're late to the show, I think you're going to be disappointed.

Average day to day volume on GME last week, 3/4 of a billion dollars. Today? 27 million.

AMC might still have some legs. But one analyst came out today and set a price target under a dollar. Read into that what you will.

I think the notion of "sticking it to the man" was flawed anyway. Even among retail investors, if you leave the morons as outliers, the wealthier you are, the more you could risk on these plays. The rich just get richer.

As far as silver goes. SLV I think is a bit of a distraction. With the attention, the funds were probably actively trading it today. Physical silver or silver mining are still decent long plays in my opinion.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #2262
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I haven't looked into WSB to much, but it just sounds like a modern version of a few guys calling all the rubes and telling them to buy a stock. "This one's going to Jupiter! Get in on it now!"
The last WSB top dog moderator tried gaming the forum for his own benefit and was basically forced to leave his position as moderator or ruin the sub, he stepped down.

There really isn't much in terms of leadership there right now, its mostly a big think tank, and by think tank I mean apes on typewriters
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #2263
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Has anyone gone back in on Score Media lately? Still waiting for a bigger dip.
I looked at it this morning. Came to the same conclusion you did.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #2264
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
If you're good at trading, I think there's still money to be made. If you're late to the show, I think you're going to be disappointed.

Average day to day volume on GME last week, 3/4 of a billion dollars. Today? 27 million.

AMC might still have some legs. But one analyst came out today and set a price target under a dollar. Read into that what you will.

I think the notion of "sticking it to the man" was flawed anyway. Even among retail investors, if you leave the morons as outliers, the wealthier you are, the more you could risk on these plays. The rich just get richer.

As far as silver goes. SLV I think is a bit of a distraction. With the attention, the funds were probably actively trading it today. Physical silver or silver mining are still decent long plays in my opinion.
It's 27M shares, not dollars. That's still about $7B dollars which is still more money than has traded on AMC today
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #2265
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Are the hedge funds trying to get people to forget about GME now?
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...silver-futures

News being fake news? Never!

Unfortunately I feel that Trump's hysteria and stupidity the past 4 years hid the fact that the MSM is extremely manipulative and will do whatever best suits their own pocket and fabricate narratives.

Last edited by Firebot; 02-01-2021 at 01:08 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #2266
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interestingly CBC is correctly stating the facts behind the Silver plant.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/sil...urge-1.5895790

Quote:
Analysts who monitor silver markets say there is more to the story than small investors rushing in.

"The asset is traded by a variety of institutional players, and it is very likely that those parties have joined the move to push the metal higher," wrote Boris Schlossberg of BK Asset Management.

Last edited by Firebot; 02-01-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #2267
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
WSB is really nothing like that, at all.

Before this nonsense blew up, it was an online community like any other full of memes, huge losses, and people really not taking the stock market seriously. It's still that, more or less, but has been flooded with people looking for stock advice and the next big thing. Those people will leave eventually when they realise that it's a terrible place for it.

It's suddenly built a reputation of some group that has uncovered the code of the stock market, and to others, like a group who pretends to have done that to draw in as many suckers as possible. Both are wrong.
Yeah WSB has and always will be a ####post sub at its heart. If you want to talk details and intelligent investing...well I have no answer for you. Stay off the internet? lol. It is very, very difficult to find any good deep analysis for free on the internet. But that's largely irrelevant. People are on the internet looking for the next get-rich-quick-scheme. They aren't, generally, looking for solid long term buy advice. Anyone who takes WSB seriously probably thinks QAnon is real and has zero ability to discern the things they read on the internet as fake or real.

Furthermore, who trusts anything anyone says on the internet to begin with? Even CP, which I consider fairly intelligent on the whole, I take 100% of the suggestions with a massive grain of salt and would only use them as jumping off points to do my own research (and even then that's a lot of time wasted on strangers random musings). And I would never and will never share any of my analysis or insights.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #2268
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's 27M shares, not dollars. That's still about $7B dollars which is still more money than has traded on AMC today
I'm aware that its dollars. But isn't the percentage drop in volume worth highlighting? GME volume today is what, 30% of its average volume from last week. AMC is roughly 60% of what it was last week. Could mean nothing, I don't know. But it does seem like there is lingering activity in AMC vs GME.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #2269
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I'm aware that its dollars. But isn't the percentage drop in volume worth highlighting? GME volume today is what, 30% of its average volume from last week. AMC is roughly 60% of what it was last week. Could mean nothing, I don't know. But it does seem like there is lingering activity in AMC vs GME.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Yes, it is noteworthy that volume has dropped.

I think the drop in both is indicative that this little uprising is coming to an end.

The attention on silver is another bad sign - the need for a new shiny toy. I expect we'll watch GME and AMC slowly sink in volume, and the prices will grind back down to where they belong.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #2270
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

NOK was talked about a lot in this grouping but hasnt seemed to move very much at all, anyones thoughts on this?
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Iggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #2271
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy_12 View Post
NOK was talked about a lot in this grouping but hasnt seemed to move very much at all, anyones thoughts on this?
Interesting long play with their 5G contracts and 6G development.

Not something I'd buy for a huge boost in the short term.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:23 PM   #2272
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah WSB has and always will be a ####post sub at its heart. If you want to talk details and intelligent investing...well I have no answer for you. Stay off the internet? lol. It is very, very difficult to find any good deep analysis for free on the internet. But that's largely irrelevant. People are on the internet looking for the next get-rich-quick-scheme. They aren't, generally, looking for solid long term buy advice. Anyone who takes WSB seriously probably thinks QAnon is real and has zero ability to discern the things they read on the internet as fake or real.

Furthermore, who trusts anything anyone says on the internet to begin with? Even CP, which I consider fairly intelligent on the whole, I take 100% of the suggestions with a massive grain of salt and would only use them as jumping off points to do my own research (and even then that's a lot of time wasted on strangers random musings). And I would never and will never share any of my analysis or insights.

Yep, anything in here has to be used as a springboard to proper research rather than a "tip". Having said that there has been some great stuff in this thread, literally making me thousands in the past few months.

My favourite was Guru Energy drink. Would have never noticed it until Huntingwhale pointed it out randomly a few hours before it went public after receiving a huge cash injection. $8.50 opening, went to $11 in a day, and now sits consistently at $22 with the hope of $30 by this spring.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #2273
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yep, anything in here has to be used as a springboard to proper research rather than a "tip". Having said that there has been some great stuff in this thread, literally making me thousands in the past few months.

My favourite was Guru Energy drink. Would have never noticed it until Huntingwhale pointed it out randomly a few hours before it went public after receiving a huge cash injection. $8.50 opening, went to $11 in a day, and now sits consistently at $22 with the hope of $30 by this spring.
For sure. I've actually been pleasantly surprised when I looked at some of the recommendations here. As a rule though, I consider them baseless until proven otherwise.

I also assume there's some of the gambler myth going on. Everyone posts their successes and never posts their failures.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #2274
jayswin

Exp:

Manwich has been clutch in here as well. His stuff is riskier but he is 100% transparent and informative on why he believes in something, complete with strategy. Really good for some fun, quick hit stocks, but beyond that just a ton of knowledge on stock market investing.

It's much appreciated.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #2275
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
For sure. I've actually been pleasantly surprised when I looked at some of the recommendations here. As a rule though, I consider them baseless until proven otherwise.

I also assume there's some of the gambler myth going on. Everyone posts their successes and never posts their failures.

Oh absolutely, but anyone taking recommendations will see through that pretty quickly if someone sucks at investing as those failures will be their failures as well, lol.
Old 02-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #2276
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Interesting long play with their 5G contracts and 6G development.

Not something I'd buy for a huge boost in the short term.
I bought NOK & NAKD on the hype-train and both positions look ugly. NAKD in particular I am down 50%.

Didn't invest much and still think there is upside but if I would have waited rather than get wrapped up would have been looking a lot better.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:29 PM   #2277
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I used to know absolutely nothing about stocks.

I now feel like I know even less. But this whole thing has been fascinating to read about.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #2278
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I used to know absolutely nothing about stocks.

I now feel like I know even less. But this whole thing has been fascinating to read about.
If there's one thing I learned on CP/internet is that general discussions tend to skew towards highly complex very, very quickly.

Look at the "general" automotive thread. 99% of the talk applies to 1% of the population. It is the antithesis of "general" most times. Same with any fashion thread or health/fitness thread or electronics thread.

The "experts" or hardcores tend to take over and the amateur or part time participant gets overwhelmed and gives up, which further pushes the thread into hardcores only territory. Plus there's the natural internet ego problem. Nobody seems to ever want to admit they are a novice and often get treated like #### or ignored if they do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #2279
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like to read about what others are doing with their investments. For me, I DCA into an index ETF and forget about it. Pretty boring stuff and definitely not worthy of writing paragraphs.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #2280
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just read through nearly this entire thread

diversify
hold

that is all