Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2018, 11:50 AM   #61
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I can't link directly, but go here:
http://ww2.glenbow.org/search/archivesPhotosSearch.aspx
search for chinook
and in the date put 1960 : 1990
They have some aerial and interior shots, not many.
Here's the directs

Toronto Dominion Bank at Chinook Centre, Calgary, Alberta.
Date: September, 1960

Aerial view of Chinook Centre and surrounding area, Calgary, Alberta.
Date: June, 1965

Simpsons-Sears store at Chinook Ridge mall, Calgary, Alberta.
Date: October, 1972

Interior view of Chinook Ridge mall, Calgary, Alberta.
Date: October, 1972

Aerial view of Simpsons-Sears store at Chinook Ridge mall and surrounding area, Calgary, Alberta.
Date: May, 1973

Aerial view of Chinook Centre, Calgary, Alberta.
Date: August 7, 1987

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #62
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It wasn't that I couldn't put the images in the thread, it was that I was to lazy to do them all! I couldn't direct link the search results though.

Thanks for the effort!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #63
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I went through the Chinook photos hoping for a glimpse of Wizard's Arcade, but nothing. How are there no photos???
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #64
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I remember Chinook used to be so dark. Perhaps that was a common theme of designs from the 1980s, with the dark brick, but I recall both Chinook and Market Mall had these huge glass columns on the outside and yet you could barely see anything inside.

There was an Easy Street at the top of the escalators on the east side in the middle of Chinook, where I think the food court was, and it was as dark as Schanks is now.

Spoiler!

There used to be a bunch of blogs out there with great photos of label scars from Calgary shopping malls and strip malls, but they are all defunct links now.

There are a few solid YouTube channels focusing on dead malls, but I haven't seen any Calgary malls featured yet. The videos are a bit of a guilty pleasure.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 01:40 PM   #65
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hack&lube View Post
how is sunrise records still in business? H&m couldn't make it so they bought out all the stores and leases (after they had liquidated) and basically put up a carbon copy of h&m except with a few more vinyl bins out front.
hmv?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #66
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, I'll never forget that sweet red ramp up to the top parking deck at Chinook, believe it was by where the foodcourt is now.

They also need to bring back that fountain by the Bay and tile it in the same horrific 80s cream/brown/orange scheme.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 PM   #67
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post

Spoiler!

Lol at the Sunday Noon-5 hrs.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #68
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Lol at the Sunday Noon-5 hrs.
I remember when Sunday shopping was a thing but only in the big cities. 12-5 seemed glorious when you were used to stores being closed altogether. Downside was on the weekends we were in Edmonton you had to wait until afternoon before you could do any shopping which made for an evening arrival at home and school/work the next day. And a long day.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #69
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

From other threads:

Chinook opening day (60s)

Chinook (80s) - I believe this is the rectangular open section where the food court was on the 2nd floor (you can see the people seated in the photo). Was this on the end by the 2nd floor Bay Entrance or was it more to the north?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #70
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I remember Chinook used to be so dark. Perhaps that was a common theme of designs from the 1980s, with the dark brick, but I recall both Chinook and Market Mall had these huge glass columns on the outside and yet you could barely see anything inside.

There was an Easy Street at the top of the escalators on the east side in the middle of Chinook, where I think the food court was, and it was as dark as Schanks is now.
I think that was more a design aesthetic from the 70s (like how everyone's appliances were those awful yellow, green, and orange colours). The 80s was much more white/off-white and pastel colours. The 80s also saw them putting in higher ceilings and skylights to let in more natural light.

Easy Street replaced the theatre that was originally there. Now, that's where Sport Chek is. The original Chinook food court was right beside it and was so small and sad.

The one food court I remember being even worse was the original one at Southcentre. It was small and dark and the way it was set up, was confusing. From what I remember, the food stands weren't all lined up against the edge with seating in the middle, like most food courts, but they were kind of all stand-alone with the seating scattered around in between, so it was a bit of a maze. Thankfully, that didn't last long and was replaced when they renovated in the mid-80s.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #71
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Chinook (80s) - I believe this is the rectangular open section where the food court was on the 2nd floor (you can see the people seated in the photo). Was this on the end by the 2nd floor Bay Entrance or was it more to the north?
Yes, that's exactly where it was.

There was a set of escalators right about where the Gap is now on the main floor. At the top of the escalators, if you went right, you'd go into the theatre (later Easy Street). If you went to the left, you'd go into the second floor entrance to Woodward's (later The Bay). If you walked straight ahead, you'd come to the seating area for the food court and that open space to look down to the first floor. From the escalators, if you went ahead and to the right, you'd go into the main food court area. If you went forward and left, you could access the elevators to the Professional Building. The white area on the right side of that photo is where you accessed the Professional Building elevators.

Today, the second floor entrance to The Bay is where that escalator used to be. Sport Chek is where the theatre was. The elevators for the Professional Building are in the same location as they always have been. The food court now is many times larger than the original one, but is in roughly the same location.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #72
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did some research at the public library; apparently someone actually made a book about Chinook Centre to celebrate their 50th anniversary:

Was hoping to find more photos of the mall itself (ie during the 80s) but they only had these:

tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 AM   #73
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

They also had this old brochure with a complete store listing; it had a couple of photos including the old fountain (looks a lot smaller than I remember it as a kid):

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 08:11 AM   #74
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Amazing finds. Thank you! I think this has made my day.

Kresge -- that must've turned into a KMart? I don't seem to remember it.

I recall the Bretton's. While I don't remember if it was two floors, it was on the west side of the mall where Saks is now and was fairly high end.

And I think the Bretton's was close to the Marks & Spencer

There are more fountains than I remember, too. The one that stands out in my mind was in the south area, where Hudson's Bay is now, in front of the Safeway and I think there was a Flames fanatic type store across the way.

Massive indoor plants! Such an 80s staple.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #75
ae118
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Kresge/KMart were the same thing. The store was rebranded KMart in the 70s.

I can’t make out the writing on the map - where was the Safeway?
ae118 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ae118 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #76
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ae118 View Post
Kresge/KMart were the same thing. The store was rebranded KMart in the 70s.

I can’t make out the writing on the map - where was the Safeway?
If you want to enlarge the photos, just copy and paste the URL but delete the "l" just before the ".jpg"

i.e: https://i.imgur.com/5fxODm1.jpg instead of https://i.imgur.com/5fxODm1l.jpg
Old 08-10-2018, 09:28 AM   #77
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone else think that the Sears location at North Hill mall would be a perfect place to build a big new residential tower? A developer wants to build a massive complex at the old Grace Hospital site just down the hill, to the displeasure of many NIMBYs (who I think have a valid POV).

Sears site is very close (but not too close) to LRT, SAIT, and would have some of the nicest views in the city. It's also already designed to handle the traffic...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #78
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have pictures of the movie theatre at North Hill mall? I remember it being a super cool theatre but it was demolished when I was just a youngster. I miss when every mall had a theatre even small malls like Northland had a theatre. Northland is such a dead mall I used to go to the Best Buy, Walmart and Futureshop every boxing day for movie deals but now Futureshop is gone and that Best Buy just shrunk their movie section to less than half of what it was.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:34 AM   #79
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Does anyone else think that the Sears location at North Hill mall would be a perfect place to build a big new residential tower? A developer wants to build a massive complex at the old Grace Hospital site just down the hill, to the displeasure of many NIMBYs (who I think have a valid POV).

Sears site is very close (but not too close) to LRT, SAIT, and would have some of the nicest views in the city. It's also already designed to handle the traffic...
There's already some towers there.

Problem is there's a lot of empty apartment condos right now.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #80
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

I believe that section was purchased a few years ago buy one of the big condo developers with rumours of eventually putting at least 4 towers there but I can't recall exactly which one at the moment.

Edit: It was Concord Pacific in 2015.

Here's a comment from Grant Murray VP of sales for Concord Pacific last year at the end of a Globe article about the Eau Claire Concord building. "Mr. Murray says Concord Pacific will continue to play to niche markets as it works through the design phase of it's second Calgary development, a 12-acre master planned community on the site of a Sears store, with adjoining parking lots, at North Hills shopping mall in the Northwest."

Last edited by topfiverecords; 08-10-2018 at 11:15 AM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: