Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesse View Post
The number of incidents in the area over the last few months means we no longer go to Westbrook Mall (then again, we only really used the Walmart on occasion, but now, never do) and will not step foot in the restaurants near there. The number of times I've seen the yellow police tape to the south of the station near the Subway is disturbing.

Currently the McDonalds on 17th ave near the Subway has broken out windows covered with plywood. Last week there were two carjackings in the parking lot by the mall.

Avoid the area completely. Its starting to become like the Vancouver's east side downtown. Completely sketchy.

There is zero chance I'd take my daughter to the library there, we use the Signal Hill branch which is quite safe and doesn't need security staff.

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #22
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I saw a bum in Mckenzie begging for change last weekend. I shuddered in fear as the city crumbles in front of our very eyes.
I saw one in Chestermere yesterday. Reverse parasites?
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #23
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
My kids got to experience a guy on drugs screaming and flailing his arms get taken down by police at Little Lebanon there. That was a good life lesson
Little Lebanon is delicious.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

You should move to Tuscany. It’s basically Demolition Man before Wesley Snipes shows up.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #25
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live really close to the Westbrook LRT and in the summer, walk over to Westbrook mall daily for a coffee. I shop at the Safeway and the Walmart, and eat in the food court on occasion. I take the LRT from Westbrook reasonably often.

I have noticed the odd vagrant and the occasional police presence, especially around Walmart and Dollarama, but I have never felt unsafe in the area. The odd person has asked if I can spare a couple bucks, but no one has ever approached me or been aggressive.

It's a busy, near the inner-city transit hub in a city of 1.2 million with incredibly diverse socio-economic neighbourhoods surrounding it. You're going to get a mix of people from different walks of life.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #26
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe we should round up all the homeless/drunks/druggies and ship them out to Airdrie. Might give that community a little culture while cleaning up the city....
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:43 PM   #27
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Maybe we should round up all the homeless/drunks/druggies and ship them out to Airdrie. Might give that community a little culture while cleaning up the city....
Where do you think yours come from? There are no services here, really, for the homeless and others. It's why they tend to end up in Calgary. I think there are several groups trying to change that, establish some kind of service/aid/help program, but so far, I don't think they're making much progress. I suspect it happens with a lot of the surrounding communities - very few services to help out, and so a lot migrate to Calgary, where there are at least places like the DI, etc, where they'll find some sort of assistance.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #28
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Are you kidding me? We don't want them just 10 minutes away from anywhere in Calgary?!

/s
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

This made me curious, so some quick numbers just surfing around for 5 minutes.

Criminal incidents in Calgary from 2012 to 2016 (4,790 to 5,561 or +16%). I'm not sure why the chart has decimal incidents but I assume it's just a graphing thing from cbc.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...nada-1.4218953

City of Calgary Police, Community Crime Statistics (I think these are reports by the public as opposed to actual criminal incidents? Not 100% sure):

http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Stat...l-reports.aspx

Anyhow, for areas that directly surround the mall and C-Train station there:

2012 to 2016 & 2012 to 2017 percentage increases

Rosscarrock: +72% and +78%
Shaganappi: +42% and +68%
Spruce Cliff: +82% and +78%
Killarney/Glengarry (includes areas a bit further out): +76% and +89%

versus

Total Calgary: +27% and +29%

The train station opened at the end of 2012. Correlation versus Causation of course but it appears that (reported) crime in the area has increased at a much faster pace in the surrounding areas for one reason or another since the opening of the station.

EDIT: added KG

Last edited by chemgear; 01-15-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #30
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

That area was rough when I was young. I guess it still is. It's no Marlborough though.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

It would be nice if we could get rid of homeless people and vagrants somehow. I find them to be very off putting.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It would be nice if we could get rid of homeless people and vagrants somehow. I find them to be very off putting.
Yeah, it's almost like providing homes, jobs, medical help and social mobility would be some sort of rehabilitation.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #33
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 PM   #34
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yeah, it's almost like providing homes, jobs, medical help and social mobility would be some sort of rehabilitation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Actually, there is a low income housing project in the area that made the news while back from racial issues I think.

EDIT: Yeah, here it is I think.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...ering-children

And that can lead to a problem, says Jen Deamer, who’s among a handful of residents who claim they’ve been “targeted” by swarms of children hurling rocks and insults.

“There’s 20 kids outside with no supervision. They’re up at 3 a.m. coming up to my house,” said Deamer, pointing at holes in her window and exterior siding that she claims were inflicted by an air gun in 2013.

Deamer isn’t the only one experiencing problems. Shaganappi Village made headlines in May after a Caucasian family claimed they were being harassed by neighbours from other ethnic backgrounds. A dozen residents from a variety of backgrounds have told the Herald that children frequently bully residents of another race, including Caucasian children attacking non-Caucasian.

A recent Shaganappi Village resident named Blair France attracted national media attention in May after telling the press her children had been punched and stoned by roving groups of children with African backgrounds. She has since been relocated.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...using-resident

Last month, a freedom-of-information request revealed the bullying escalated after the event, and France told the Herald public-housing officials relocated her over concerns for her safety.

“The police were there everyday, talking about what was going on with the parents,” Parker claims. “Calgary Housing said ‘Keep your kids inside.’ That’s not fair; it’s like a gang.”

Parker says East African children would often gather and lob rocks at houses where Caucasians live. Residents have said the bullying occasionally happens in reverse.

Last edited by chemgear; 01-15-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #35
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It amazes me how selfish these people are. Don’t they realize the minor discomfort their mere presence brings to our otherwise privileged lives? They can’t imagine how they affect us by briefly thrusting their lives of utter despair into our well-fed, groomed faces.

Human garbage, the lot of them.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #36
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

So we have these first hand comments from people who have seen the problems at or near Westbrook recently, on the first page of the thread, excluding my own:

One:

Is there something wrong with the Westbrook underground C-Train station? I keep hearing from other people that the amount of homeless people sleeping / not leaving the station is resulting in some interesting encounters for riders.

Two:

Drunks, druggies, petty criminals, homeless, etc have increased in the area since the LRT station went in. Westbrook Mall itself is sketchy.

The library at the LRT station doubles as a homeless drop-in.

Three:

My kids got to experience a guy on drugs screaming and flailing his arms get taken down by police at Little Lebanon there. That was a good life lesson.

Four:

Was at the BPs there not to long ago and a guy OD'd in the washroom, fortunately he lived but talking to the staff it's not a uncommon occurance. Unfortunately, the ctrain has turned that area into a pretty sketchy one.

Five:

That place wasn't always like that; I will concur that Westbrook Station has made the area more sketchy too.

Six:

You definitely see some sketchy characters in the area...

Seven:

Westbrook is pretty ugly, but not much different than downtown stations during non-peak hours.

Eight:

Going to the McDonalds just south of the Westbrook station recently, one crackhead out of a group was holding out a box full of Iphone chargers. Certainly some auxiliary sales after their five finger discount at parked cars in the station.

It's a total hellhole, to be avoided if you can and don't mind having to fix your windows in the middle of winter as you left a charger visible in your car.

Those are just random readers on a message board seeing what is going on in the area.

Chemgear shows up on page two with actual statistics from CPS which shows how much crime has increased in that area over the last few years. Its pretty bad.

Here is an article about the city needing to add to security in the area entitled "Drunk, abusive customers prompt security to increase at Calgary's Nicholls Family library": http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...fety-1.4281531

So if you feel safe there, good on you, its simply an area I no longer take my 4 year old to. There are better places to go.

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-15-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #37
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Kjesse - let's be honest, you can get jumped anywhere in the City. And after living in that area for 10+ years (pre and post LRT), I still would take it 10/10 times before most areas in the NE.

Calgary is one of the safest places in the world; living your life in fear of crime - especially being in Calgary - is kind of sad. Westbrook is fine and the area is generally good if you keep your expectations realistic.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 11:03 PM   #38
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
But they could back downtown in only 20 minutes...... or so I’m told by people who live in Airdrie.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 01-15-2018 at 11:06 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:05 PM   #39
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Westbrook Mall and surrounding area was always sketchy, at least for the 12 years I’ve lived here. Don’t think the c-train made much worse. It always was sketchy.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 11:06 PM   #40
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I lived in Sunalta when the new train opened and there were definitely more shady characters around after it opened.

But it’s Calgary. There really isn’t many places I’d feel unsafe.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote