Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #1241
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Along the 'let them freeze in the dark' philosophy, TransCanada should submit with Energy East some modifications to existing pipeline infrastructure that snakes through Quebec. That way, in order to reject Energy East, quebec would have to reject their existing pipeline infrastructure. Make them actually choose between freezing in the dark and letting an underground pipe through.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #1242
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So I read an interesting conspiracy theory the other day. Not sure if anyone here can validate it or discount it. It went like this. Paul Martin owned a shipping company CSL (Canada Steamship Lines), when he became PM he sold his interest to his sons. That shipping line current ships a large amount of the foreign oil to the Irving refinery.

If Energy East gets built that would displace the foreign oil, and hurt Martin's sons financially (and really Martin as well). The MTL mayor playing the environmental card was appointed to a Federal Cabinet position in the Martin government. Could this be a friend helping a friend by standing in the way of a national project?

I thought it was interesting to read, because if true shows black and white how fata'd this country has become when a national interest is being stopped for one small groups benefit.
I think that there were lots of questions around why CSL was awarded $161 million in contracts while Martin was either in government or in opposition.

As well he took a bath on the whole flagging of the company so they didn't pay a lot of Canadian taxes.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #1243
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCanada View Post
I work next to the NEB building, there was an anti-pipeline protest out front this morning. About 10 people.
It'd be interesting to go and ask them questions about what they're protesting and if they understand the differences between shipping via pipeline and driving trucks full of Oil through the provinces.

I dislike Levant because he's way over the top but I did laugh when he'd go to protests and ask questions and the answers that he got showed a lot of clueless protestors that went from protest to protest not bothering to know what they were there for.

When he wasn't being called a stinking Jew conspirator.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #1244
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It'd be interesting to go and ask them questions about what they're protesting and if they understand the differences between shipping via pipeline and driving trucks full of Oil through the provinces.

I dislike Levant because he's way over the top but I did laugh when he'd go to protests and ask questions and the answers that he got showed a lot of clueless protestors that went from protest to protest not bothering to know what they were there for.

When he wasn't being called a stinking Jew conspirator.
I bet the protesters have no clue about global carbon emissions and where the real problem is.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #1245
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a way around. G Seven Generations is working on a plan to build a rail line from Fort Mac to a terminal on the Alyeska pipeline to feed terminals in Valdez. Alaska oil is in a huge decline and the facilities would love a new source.

This rail line would be capable of carrying 1.5mmbbl/day and would be half owned by first nation groups between here and Alaska. The plan already had their support.

Choo choo.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #1246
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
So I read an interesting conspiracy theory the other day. Not sure if anyone here can validate it or discount it. It went like this. Paul Martin owned a shipping company CSL (Canada Steamship Lines), when he became PM he sold his interest to his sons. That shipping line current ships a large amount of the foreign oil to the Irving refinery.

If Energy East gets built that would displace the foreign oil, and hurt Martin's sons financially (and really Martin as well). The MTL mayor playing the environmental card was appointed to a Federal Cabinet position in the Martin government. Could this be a friend helping a friend by standing in the way of a national project?

I thought it was interesting to read, because if true shows black and white how fata'd this country has become when a national interest is being stopped for one small groups benefit.
Aren't CSL's ships just lakers? I'm not sure how any of his boats would supply Irving with oil. I would think those would be of the typical super large ocean going crude tankers, which I didn't think Martin had any of.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #1247
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
There is a way around. G Seven Generations is working on a plan to build a rail line from Fort Mac to a terminal on the Alyeska pipeline to feed terminals in Valdez. Alaska oil is in a huge decline and the facilities would love a new source.

This rail line would be capable of carrying 1.5mmbbl/day and would be half owned by first nation groups between here and Alaska. The plan already had their support.

Choo choo.
Yup and the protestors won't protest it because you know, its not a pipeline man.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #1248
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

An underdiscussed source of potential anti-pipeline funding is the railroads. It just makes too much sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #1249
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
Aren't CSL's ships just lakers? I'm not sure how any of his boats would supply Irving with oil. I would think those would be of the typical super large ocean going crude tankers, which I didn't think Martin had any of.
Yes, I wasn't confirming or denying. Just that I had heard it and wanted to know if anyone had a way to justify or repute it. Could be non-sense but it was bugging me that it could be true so wanted to see what people here thought. Shipping oil isn't an area I have a lot of knowledge in.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #1250
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
An underdiscussed source of potential anti-pipeline funding is the railroads. It just makes too much sense.

You mean Warren Buffet's Burlington Northern Santa railway and the fact that he is a huge Obama financial backer?
There's no doubt this is the single biggest single reason Keystone was not approved.
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bootsy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #1251
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. Lots of companies have significant rail investments as contingency.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:39 PM   #1252
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
You mean Warren Buffet's Burlington Northern Santa railway and the fact that he is a huge Obama financial backer?
There's no doubt this is the single biggest single reason Keystone was not approved.
Buffett is in favour of Keystone. He's said it several times.
http://business.financialpost.com/ne..._lsa=6b9c-1d99
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #1253
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Nope. Lots of companies have significant rail investments as contingency.
Right. Which is why railroads have a massive reason to not want any pipelines built. But we all get that. It's so obvious that it almost didn't require mentioning...
Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #1254
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, like KMC owns a bunch of CN. They want to move their product no matter what, right.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #1255
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait, you're saying that the pipelines themselves have hedged their bets by buying stakes in railroads? Interesting.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #1256
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I am saying that.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #1257
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Do you have proof of this or is that a hunch? I don't think it is true but I haven't done any research on the subject, so I haven't seen confirmation one way or another.
puckedoff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #1258
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
And Burlington wouldn't be affected by the pipeline anyways. This is the single biggest tin foil conspiracy leading people to believe strange things.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:12 PM   #1259
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Yes, I am saying that.
They work closely with CNR on terminals etc which I'm assuming you're referring to? Not really "buying stakes in railroads".
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #1260
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
They work closely with CNR on terminals etc which I'm assuming you're referring to? Not really "buying stakes in railroads".
I was under the impression, at least in 2012, that KMC had some divestments in CNR.