Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #3041
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The cost is double right now because it hasn't been scaled. Imagine if we got China on board to adopt and develop our clean coal technology in their plants in exchange for some of the costly materials needed to build it here. We know they have an emissions problem, and we know they badly want to invest here.

Sounds like another idea that needs approval and go ahead right now.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:05 PM   #3042
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wait... We actually have clean coal technology in use?

As I understand things. The Saskatchewan pilot plant sequester s carbon dioxide at a cost equal to the energy production.... So clean coal electricity is double the rate of older coal technology.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:02 AM   #3043
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
It appears that in North America, coal is a losing proposition. If we keep coal in Alberta, are we going to have to subsidize it in 5years?
I don't think so; from what I can tell based on other markets, subsidies would only be necessary in a scenario where a lot of wind and solar generation get built (at least 5 or more GW) and they get priority on the grid so that coal can't sell electricity when wind is blowing and the sun is shining. But because they're not reliable, the coal has to be kept on standby to avoid a blackout when wind or solar suddenly drop out, such as what recently happened to South Australia. That standby part would have to be subsidized.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:30 AM   #3044
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's an interesting read on the effectiveness of carbon taxes, and how Albertans (and Canadians) are bearing a disproportionate share of global costs.

http://energynow.ca/problem-carbon-t...er-management/

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #3045
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Follow up article on the statement from the CFO of Shell:

Quote:
Oil demand in the developed OECD world has already peaked and is 9 per cent below the level reached in 2005. In Europe, oil demand is down 17 per cent over the same period.

After a surge in Chinese demand over the past decade – particularly during the years of rapid growth and industrialisation – it has become obvious that demand there has flattened off. Some of the oil imported over the last two years has been re-exported, and more has gone into strategic stock piles – a prudent measure when prices are low but not something that can continue. Demand is still growing in India and Turkey but the volumes involved are relatively small.

All the indications are that in the developed world demand has further to fall. Oil use is now heavily concentrated in the transport sector. Electric vehicles have only a fractional share of the market but the numbers are growing month by month. Technology is improving, reducing costs and expanding sales. Tesla gets most of the publicity but those wanting to understand the impact of EVs on the oil market should look at China where 188,000 new electric and hybrid vehicles were sold in 2015. This year that number is expected to more than double to around 450,000.

The technology improvements will continue but I believe the next big step will be a regulatory drive to make EVs the default choice for motorists in cities. Measures such as lower vehicle taxation, lower congestion charges and easier parking are being used as gentle incentives for behaviour change. But I can see cities in countries such as Germany or China going further and mandating their use – with the shift implemented over a relatively few years. In both countries local production will spur the adoption of new public policies. I will write more about what is happening in Germany in a future post.

Gradually, or perhaps more quickly, EVs will eat into the market currently reserved for petrol.

The conventional wisdom in some of the other oil majors is that this effect will be swamped by the growth in car use in the emerging market economies of Asia and Latin America. But that misses the phenomenon of leapfrogging. As EVs proliferate, their costs will fall until they are the natural purchase everywhere. Urban air quality is a big social issue in most developing countries, and once a viable alternative to petrol is available the shift could come quickly. Perhaps the internal combustion engine can match the falling costs and reduced pollution but it would be foolish to take that for granted. In addition, the new EV industry centred in places such as Germany and China will have every incentive to compete internationally.
https://www.ft.com/content/6c7d9e1f-...9-12dde9774140
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #3046
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Follow up article on the statement from the CFO of Shell:
https://www.ft.com/content/6c7d9e1f-...9-12dde9774140
Bollocks, I don't have a subscription & can't give this a read.

Is this posted anywhere else?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #3047
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

So what impact is Trumps looming win going to have on OPEC talks and Oil Prices?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:02 AM   #3048
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
So what impact is Trumps looming win going to have on OPEC talks and Oil Prices?
No one knows what happens now. I'm guessing extreme volatility, global instability.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #3049
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

But it should help the price Alberta gets for its oil as Keystone XL is now back in play. Premier Notley wanted to get Alberta's oil to tidewater but not sure she wanted it done this way.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 07:19 AM   #3050
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah but have we earned enough Social License to deal with the Donald?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #3051
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Yeah but have we earned enough Social License to deal with the Donald?
The Donald doesnt care about Social Licenses!

The first time he meets Justin he'll probably just kick him, steal his lunch money and take off with his nannies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #3052
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Depends if he actually follows through and turns the middle east into a glass parking lot.

People saying Keystone is back in play should probably read this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-energy-224204
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #3053
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The congressional republicans will probably talk him down from that position. Our industry is so intertwined with the US oil and gas industry that Exxon and others would be against his rent idea.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #3054
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
But it should help the price Alberta gets for its oil as Keystone XL is now back in play. Premier Notley wanted to get Alberta's oil to tidewater but not sure she wanted it done this way.
This confuses me. All of the rhetoric I hear about Energy East or Trans-mountain is getting oil to tidewater to sell to overseas buyers, not the US, to get a better price. I get how the shorter route would save a little on transportation costs, but how does simply pushing more oil to US refineries get a better price? It will reduce the load from rail transport but I really don't see the better price..
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #3055
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Depends if he actually follows through and turns the middle east into a glass parking lot.

People saying Keystone is back in play should probably read this.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...-energy-224204
At this point I can't separate bluster from reality.

I think it's back in play though, especially with the supermajority.

Not like this though...Not like this.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #3056
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
This confuses me. All of the rhetoric I hear about Energy East or Trans-mountain is getting oil to tidewater to sell to overseas buyers, not the US, to get a better price. I get how the shorter route would save a little on transportation costs, but how does simply pushing more oil to US refineries get a better price? It will reduce the load from rail transport but I really don't see the better price..
It's really to get it to new buyers who could bid up prices, whether it be Asia with Trans-Mountain, east coast refineries with Energy East or gulf coast refineries with Keystone XL.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #3057
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
You're correct. KXL is purely capacity.

The original Keystone has been running near capacity for half a decade. This includes obtaining a license to run higher than normal pressure (in exchange for more stringent inspections and regulator oversight).

However, running a pipeline so aggressively, in a way that it's not designed for (due to the original design including KXL) reduces the life of the pipeline. By adding KXL, it completes the original design, which takes a lot of stress off of the existing section, as well as improving capacity.

EE and TM and NG are the ones that are supposed to get us to tidewater and diversify our markets. The combination of both (KXL + these tidewater pipelines), will get us more capacity to sell to the states at higher prices.

Last edited by Regorium; 11-09-2016 at 10:24 AM.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #3058
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Whats with all the hype about the US being a net exporter of Oil then? If Trump is as protectionist as everyone is saying, shouldn't we expect tariffs on Oil so that the US uses its own product?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #3059
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It's really to get it to new buyers who could bid up prices, whether it be Asia with Trans-Mountain, east coast refineries with Energy East or gulf coast refineries with Keystone XL.
That doesn't make sense to me. First off there are no east cost refineries that could even process bitumen that I know of, the Irving refinery in St John needs upgrades in order to process it so really East is just about exporting, which makes sense to open to more bidding/buyers.

And how does increasing supply drive up bidding prices on the Gulf? I would assume that all of the buyers would already be bidding on it that wanted it and supplying more simply reduces the scarcity of the resource which normally would drive prices down. The only advantage I can see is increased volumes, with only marginally increased pricing from having a shorter, larger pipeline.

Trans mountain seems like a much better idea for open market pricing and reduced transportation costs.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
Old 11-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #3060
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
You're correct. KXL is purely capacity.

The original Keystone has been running near capacity for half a decade. This includes obtaining a license to run higher than normal pressure (in exchange for more stringent inspections and regulator oversight).

However, running a pipeline so aggressively, in a way that it's not designed for (due to the original design including KXL) reduces the life of the pipeline. By adding KXL, it completes the original design, which takes a lot of stress off of the existing section, as well as improving capacity.

EE and TM and NG are the ones that are supposed to get us to tidewater and diversify our markets. The combination of both (KXL + these tidewater pipelines), will get us more capacity to sell to the states at higher prices.
Yeah I can see how a combination would work that way. In isolation KXL wouldn't increase prices, but with the threat of other buyers in Asia with TM would pressure gulf refineries. Thanks!