Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
MoreDrank
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I definitely want them to re-sign him for another year.

- new league, new environment, new language, new systems on the ice
- he was injured at the start of the season (and about 2 months prior), so not exactly in game-shape early
- he got no pre-season
- Hartley, at times, used him wrongly IMO

I'd love to give him another shot, this time healthy and with a full pre-season. He he has shown glimpses of his ability, he has really good hands and has nice chemistry with Hudler. If you put a hard-working, two-way center between them (Reinhart, maybe Barkov) if drafted, that could be a very nice line.

I don't know, I just have the feeling that if we let him go, he'll light it up somewhere else and we'll regret it. He can be a really effective player if used properly.
I think you are probably on point on Cervenka, but I'm still more excited to see Hanowski get some NHL ice-time before next season. Hanowski will probably be in the AHL next season, so let him know where his game needs to be at to compete against guys like Franzen and Datsyuk.

Watching games now, for me, is about getting a small glimpse at the future and hopefully a bit of entertainment. Cervenka has gotten a good look at the NHL, and mitigating factors aside, using him just isn't that important going forward in the season right now.
MoreDrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #42
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Flames need to have a balance of older and younger players.... I would think they will keep Tanguay....
Flames have plenty of veterans. The ones I'd like to keep for the benefit of the young players are Stempniak, Cammalleri, Jackman, McGratton, Hudler in that order.

Stempniak and Cammalleri are pros and although they have obvious flaws in their game, I've never had to question their effort or motivation.

Jackman, McGrattton are needed simply for toughness because most of our prospects are small.

Glencross can be kept because he's good value for what he brings, but there is no way he should have an A because he is selfish and has zero leadership skills. The guy doesn't stick up for his teammates and pouts when things don't go his way.

Tanguay is redundant with Cammalleri and Hudler. It's going to be interesting to see what the Flames do with these 3 guys. Hudler I think is here to stay given his recent signing and I don't see many teams taking him on that contract.

Cammelleri is a UFA next year and should commmand at least a mid to late first rounder at the deadline, but I honestly wouldn't be upset if he signed an extension at a lower AAV.

However, you can't sign Cammelleri to an extension unless you can lose Tanguay because all 3 guys are small and soft and our most likely youngsters next season up front all also small and soft (Sven, Horak, Backlund).

I think the Flames need to do whatever they can to lose Tanguay in the summer, short of dealing him with a 2nd round pick to get rid of him.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Sieloff is in town for the game:
Quote:
pat sieloff ‏@PatSieloff
Tonight I get to see live for the first time my Hometown play against the Flames.

I wonder if he's here to sign his ELC?
Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #44
Redmonster
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Sounds like Sieloff is in town for the game:

I wonder if he's here to sign his ELC?
He was here for the game vs. Vancouver on thursday too. If you check his twitter history.
Redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #45
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmonster View Post
He was here for the game vs. Vancouver on thursday too. If you check his twitter history.
yeah I think his injury was checked by the Flames docs IIRC.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #46
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Flames will win this game, I can feel it in my bones.

Hoping for a loss though sadly.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #47
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Go Wings! Here's hoping Babchuk is drawn in and he plays 20+ minuets.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #48
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

3-0 Flames.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #49
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone looking for tickets to tonight's game. I have 2 tickets available.

Section 227 Row 15.

Can't make it but hopefully another CP'er can make Kipper's possible last game at home

Face Value is $106 per ticket but willing to sell for $75 per ticket.

$150 for the pair. Pick up in downtown. pm me for details.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #50
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Considering Preseason (if they had one) is only 5 to 8 games to evaluate a player. 35 games is way more than enough for Management to decide if they will try to resign the player.

In my opinion, Flames should not resign him. He does not add anything to a rebuilding club.

Better off having veterans players like Glencross or Tanguay or Stajan or Hudler around the younger players.
Seriously thats delusional to think 35 games is way more than enough to evaluate any player. Remember Cervenka is a rookie to the NHL coming off an injury. He has the hockey IQ but lacks the grit which can be a description of a lot of European players or young rookies that are getting adjusted to the NHL style game. Adjustments take time and you have to keep in mind that he still did put up some points even when he's been underutilized. Imagine getting benched, put on the 4th line, scratched, and then have the expectations to go out and produce. I don't understand the hate for this guy from Hartley and some of the posters on here. Its a shame really.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #51
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Seriously thats delusional to think 35 games is way more than enough to evaluate any player. Remember Cervenka is a rookie to the NHL coming off an injury. He has the hockey IQ but lacks the grit which can be a description of a lot of European players or young rookies that are getting adjusted to the NHL style game. Adjustments take time and you have to keep in mind that he still did put up some points even when he's been underutilized. Imagine getting benched, put on the 4th line, scratched, and then have the expectations to go out and produce. I don't understand the hate for this guy from Hartley and some of the posters on here. Its a shame really.
I guess not, as the Flames are going to evaluate the player and will make a decision.

Of course the player may not want to resign.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #52
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

ooooo I wonder if I should go against the grain and actually bet on the Flames to win this one...if they lose yay if they win yay yay (I hate them losing but it's something that needs to be done)
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #53
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Centre Ice channels for:
Wednesday, April 17
Detroit at Calgary, 7:30pm Mountain
Flames feed in red

Game is on TSN in Canada, therefore it is not on Centre Ice.

USA
Indemand - Game 3 SD Game HD3
Directv - 770 770-1 HD
Dish - 889 SD 9544 HD

Sirius Radio-- Siri 207 (Internet 925)
XM Radio-- XM 92 (Internet 925)

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #54
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cervenka has a high hockey IQ, decent play making, but is slow, soft, and has an average shot. I wouldn't have a problem signing him to one more season, but I wouldn't be broken up if he's gone.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #55
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
Anyone looking for tickets to tonight's game. I have 2 tickets available.
You can list them here.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #56
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames are keeping Hartley on board (which I assume they will be), I can't see Cervenka wanting to come back, or the Flames even wanting him back.

It's obvious Hartley has zero patience for the guy, I don't see things being any better next year.

Add to that the fact that we have a lot of forwards still signed, or RFA and plenty of younger guys who seem more willing to play a 200ft game, I see no room for the experiment to continue.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #57
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Cervenka has a high hockey IQ, decent play making, but is slow, soft, and has an average shot. I wouldn't have a problem signing him to one more season, but I wouldn't be broken up if he's gone.
I actually like Cervenka's shot, he can get it off pretty quickly.

I hope we see him back for one more year, it's worth it considering his cap hit will lower by almost 3 million. Pretty low risk for a guy that has only played half an NHL season, and shown some promise at times.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #58
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't see him as slow, I just think his skating isn't pretty so it sure looks that way. Also his shot is decent from some of the goals I've seen him score.

If he got a legitimate chance to play then I'd be happy for him to sign with us again but I doubt either of those will happen.

He's probably got his personals all packed up and ready to go after the season for sure. I'll give him credit for not mailing it in like Tanguay cuz the way Cervenka has been treated this season, I wouldn't blame him if he did.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #59
hwy19man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to the Sabres-Bruins game on TSN2, the Red Wings-Flames game could be pre-empted again. The Habs-Penguins game is on TSN and if it takes longer to finish or go into overtime and the shootout, there is no alternate channel to show the Flames game. This happened exactly five weeks ago where the Red Wings-Flames game was pre-empted and the first three goals of the game was missed. The Senators-Habs game was the first game of the doubleheader and it ended in a shootout.

The first ten pages of the game thread from five weeks ago explains the problem and showed how inept TSN is. Hopefully, TSN listened to the complaints and will have the NHL Network air the game from the beginning should the first game take longer.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=125800

must show all Flames games nationally when they play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays !!!
hwy19man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #60
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I don't see him as slow, I just think his skating isn't pretty so it sure looks that way. Also his shot is decent from some of the goals I've seen him score.

If he got a legitimate chance to play then I'd be happy for him to sign with us again but I doubt either of those will happen.

He's probably got his personals all packed up and ready to go after the season for sure. I'll give him credit for not mailing it in like Tanguay cuz the way Cervenka has been treated this season, I wouldn't blame him if he did.
Poor guy...making what, a paltry million playing hockey in the best league in the world. Probably his smokin hot girlfriend is super high maintenance. I sure wouldn't want to be in shoes. I'm surprised they haven't found him swinging from the rafters yet.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gtd , winwin iggywith4 , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin