Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #6301
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, most of my path sections are cleared now, and the side streets nice and firm so it made today fairly easy. Next week could be a different story if the melting is only half -assed. More mashed potato and luge runs...
Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #6302
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came back from a ride in fish creek this morning, and it was awesome. Temps were perfect, snow was falling gently and there was no wind.

The mtn bike trails were in great shape. They are nice bike packed and about a foot wide. If you have a mtn bike, get out there and get some.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #6303
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I am looking at getting winter tires and getting some riding in. For those of you not aware, I'm still very novice when it comes to riding.
My usual route takes me along here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/51.03...m3!4m2!3e1!5i1
However I see that there is construction on Ogden road around 50th ave. Is the Beaver Dam Flats route open yet? Or would you suggest another detour? My other route would be the along the canal, but I can see the path along 52nd street isn't plowed at all.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:36 AM   #6304
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think beaver dam flats was not scheduled to open up until the spring, although from driving along deerfoot, it looked ready to me.

given your starting and ending points, I'd say take the extra 10 minutes or so and take the pathway, it is nicer and a less stressful ride.

your biggest decision might be weather to take 130th to the pathay or go a little south to McKenzie towne blvd and then get the path from there. more lights on 130 ave and it is slightly less bike friendly than Mackenzie towne blvd
Old 01-15-2018, 11:11 AM   #6305
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

When I last rode, Beaver Dam was closed but did look ready. I was wondering if the closure on Ogden caused them to open it. And I agree that I much prefer the pathway route; I always take it. That's why I'm concerned about Ogden.

Yeah, into Copperfield I actually have two routes through New Brighton. One is a path and the other follows the main boulevard. I shortened my Google Maps route there to hopefully give people an idea of where I need to go without actually letting the whole world know where I live.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #6306
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could give it a dry run on the weekend so you don't get frustrated by hitting something unexpected.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #6307
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I ride all the routes on your map when I commuted to work. Rarely in the winter though for the same reasons you mentioned. It's a long haul when the paths aren't cleared.

I suggest doing a dry run like Fuzz side. The 52nd/canal path route is the quickest but also the most exposed in terms of wind. A good headwind and it's miserable. The extra couple kms and protection of the trees is nice along the Bow.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #6308
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

The plan is to ride home on Wednesday- I already brought my bike into work today. That way I can take my time a bit.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #6309
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yeah, into Copperfield I actually have two routes through New Brighton. One is a path and the other follows the main boulevard. I shortened my Google Maps route there to hopefully give people an idea of where I need to go without actually letting the whole world know where I live.
since you are in copperfield, I'd definitely recommend using Mackenzie towne blvd to hookup with the pathway.

you could likely do a little bit of snaking thru mack towne to get to copperfield via 52nd.

hopefully the riding works out for you
Old 01-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #6310
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like we're on the "Chinook" plan to clear snow off the Nose Creek pathways. Though they did spread a ton of gravel south of McKnight. Anything north of there is a hodge podge of foot and paw prints.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #6311
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They did my path through Confederation, so maybe they just haven't got to it yet. It will be an interesting week....I foresee lots of icy bits.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #6312
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Calgary Bike show is this weekend at the convention center. It has joined the Great Canadian Fitfest. If you happen to go, come by and say hi. I will be working with specialized at the Bow Cycle tent. If you are interested in finding out what size of road bike you need, a Specialized pro bike fitter from Montreal will be there with the new Retul Match Tower system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #6313
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
The Calgary Bike show is this weekend at the convention center. It has joined the Great Canadian Fitfest. If you happen to go, come by and say hi. I will be working with specialized at the Bow Cycle tent. If you are interested in finding out what size of road bike you need, a Specialized pro bike fitter from Montreal will be there with the new Retul Match Tower system.
That sounds like an expensive measuring tape!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #6314
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crap, I thought what was going on this weekend was in addition to the bike Show. So no Big 4 this year? Isn't the show usually in March? I'm not in town this weekend.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #6315
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am heading to Maui next week and am hoping to do the west Maui loop. Not sure if I am ready for ~100km but I am going to try.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #6316
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL, now they've plowed off all of the gravel they put down. Seems counter productive.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 07:47 AM   #6317
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah it makes zero sense, and the plowing didn't really seem to do much from the conditions yesterday afternoon.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:34 AM   #6318
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I am heading to Maui next week and am hoping to do the west Maui loop. Not sure if I am ready for ~100km but I am going to try.
Make sure to stop at Julia's and get some banana bread during your ride.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 08:38 AM   #6319
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Crap, I thought what was going on this weekend was in addition to the bike Show. So no Big 4 this year? Isn't the show usually in March? I'm not in town this weekend.
Yes, it's usually in March. From the bike show website:

https://www.calgarybikeshow.com

"We're combining with Fitfest to bring more production value, a bike feature and an overall bigger event to Calgary and Edmonton.

This is very big news for the 2018 Calgary and Edmonton Bike Shows. The Bike Shows will now be joining The Great Canadian Fitfest that is taking place at the Calgary Telus Convention Centre on Jan 20/21 2018 and in Edmonton at the Shaw Conference Centre on Feb 10/11 2018. There will be a Bike show area that will have a large bike jump feature and a test track for people to try bikes. I have negotiated discounted pricing for the Bike Show Exhibitors to make a smooth transition."
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2018, 08:40 AM   #6320
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Make sure to stop at Julia's and get some banana bread during your ride.
I'd stop at Leoda's and eat way too much pie!
Closed Thread