Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 01:26 PM   #201
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
The thing is that Sutter's system is defense first which reduces likelihood of odd man rushes as forwards are further back in our own/neutral zone and back off instead of lingering in the offensive zone. Hub is clearly making a smaller number of risky plays and he is messing them up more often than before as he is probably in his head being "I do not want to mess up". Back in Florida he was able to play more or less how he wanted to and had no pressure from the fans to play safe hockey. Here any time he fails a pass people start complaining, it is just different hockey expectations.
Not sure I agree with that assessment of Sutter hockey.

Defense first ... for sure.

But then play quick, meaning jump on the transition and forecheck like hell not lay back.

We haven't seen that this year, but I think that's more continuity due to change than a change in systems.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #202
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The one thing I get from Huberdeau is he cares.

Almost instantly after the trade he was sporting Flames jerseys at golf tournaments.

That's a guy that isn't thinking about himself or his style under Sutter; he's just freaking out because it isn't working out and putting more pressure on himself.

I think it's harder to be that guy than the guy that thinks his crap doesn't stink after a trade and comes in cocky.

I expect it to correct and he'll start creating more when he has a everything goes in night.
I am wondering where he trained over the summer? I think it would have helped to workout in Calgary for a longer period of time, to adapt to our altitude. He has played at sea level his whole career. Going from sea level to high altitude takes adjustment.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote