Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2021, 01:55 AM   #761
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Man, those poor patient people running the vaccine shots for the kids. Literal constant screaming and crying from at least one kid. Saw one that that had to be physically restrained by both parents while screaming, punching and thrashing trying to get away. They handed him a massive ipad and some bose headsets to calm him afterwards.

They had two therapy dogs distracting and calming kids there - seemed like a great idea, super patient.
My one son had issues until recently and he just turned 10. A few years back he was at a flu clinic and had a full meltdown. They brought him into “the room” a special quiet place he could calm down. At that point I was done with the whole thing so I attempted to pin him. Yelled to the nurse to just do it. Then he super human breaks grip and the needle breaks off. Blood sprays out. He flips out more.

Eff me that was awful, and that poor nurse, but their pros. I saw a meltdown at the covid drive in last month and the nurses were laughing and keeping spirits up. God bless them.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2021, 07:40 AM   #762
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Man, those poor patient people running the vaccine shots for the kids. Literal constant screaming and crying from at least one kid. Saw one that that had to be physically restrained by both parents while screaming, punching and thrashing trying to get away. They handed him a massive ipad and some bose headsets to calm him afterwards.

They had two therapy dogs distracting and calming kids there - seemed like a great idea, super patient.
Yikes. My kids have generally been super chill about getting vaccines, but they have always got them at public health in a private room with just a nurse/parent. Our booking is coming up, hopefully no meltdowns occurring during that time- my oldest would definitely amp up the anxiety if others are crying.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:14 AM   #763
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard something on the news about a few quiet clinics they have for kids with sensory issues and such... fewer people, low lighting, etc. I think you have to call 811 and make a special booking, if your child would benefit from something like that. Sorry for the vague details. It sounded interesting, but doesn't apply to me, so I didn't pay close attention.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #764
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I heard something on the news about a few quiet clinics they have for kids with sensory issues and such... fewer people, low lighting, etc. I think you have to call 811 and make a special booking, if your child would benefit from something like that. Sorry for the vague details. It sounded interesting, but doesn't apply to me, so I didn't pay close attention.
We did that with my kid at the old Children's Hospital. It isn't quite as simple as calling 811 for a booking. There are a few layers of approval to go through before you can get an appointment.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #765
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case any one is traveling and wants a booster I Was able to get the booster in Anaheim no questions asked 2 days ago.

I am American but a permanent resident in Canada. I'm in Anaheim for work and I booked through Walgreens the same way you book a covid test. I put in a US address (my parents) and they never asked me for any proof. I showed them my Canada drivers license instead of my US passport to test it and they never batted an eye.

However I do have CDC vaccine card, which they asked for, as all of my vaccines have been in the States.

So I had 2 doses of Pfizer in March, Had symptom free Covid in August, Booster of Pfizer in December.
Old 12-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #766
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Literal constant screaming and crying from at least one kid. Saw one that that had to be physically restrained by both parents while screaming, punching and thrashing trying to get away. They handed him a massive ipad and some bose headsets to calm him afterwards.
You'd think they were giving them their shots while flying on an airplane or something.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:30 PM   #767
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

My oldest got his first jab today. He had to be held to get it, was super anxious about it but in the end it’s done.

My carrot for him… he gets to go to his first flames game once he is double jabbed.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 08:25 AM   #768
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

7 year old and 5 year old got their shots on Friday at Brentwood. 7 year old was fine, but 5 year old lost her s**t when it was her turn. Had to take her to a "private" room and it still took three of us to hold her down. She had the flu shot 3 weeks prior and although she did cry there too, it wasn't even close to this.

Hats off to all the nurses and volunteers with support dogs. And the dancing robot.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:03 PM   #769
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

So uhh, we ever going to get booster doses available to the general population or just the 60+?

*Asking for my pregnant wife that is approaching 8 months out from her 2nd dose that also has comorbidities but still isn't eligible.

Last edited by Torture; 12-13-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:13 PM   #770
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The laziness and lack of planning around booster doses in Canada is ridiculous. Even without Omicron, basically every person over 50 and anyone with any kind of comorbidity should have had the option to get a 3rd dose right at 6 months.

In the UK, they're trying to get every adult a 3rd dose in the next 3 weeks. In BC they're just sending out invites to 65-69 year olds and most people under 65 will be waiting until January.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 02:19 PM   #771
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The laziness and lack of planning around booster doses in Canada is ridiculous. Even without Omicron, basically every person over 50 and anyone with any kind of comorbidity should have had the option to get a 3rd dose right at 6 months.

In the UK, they're trying to get every adult a 3rd dose in the next 3 weeks. In BC they're just sending out invites to 65-69 year olds and most people under 65 will be waiting until January.
What’s the hold up in BC? Ontario opened it to 50+ today.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #772
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
So uhh, we ever going to get booster doses available to the general population or just the 60+?

*Asking for my pregnant wife that is approaching 8 months out from her 2nd dose that also has comorbidities but still isn't eligible.

Isn’t that happening? Booking for booster is already open.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #773
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:

Exactly, the date that you received your first & second dose already has your age/health/etc built into it.

Just say "If you're 6 months out from your 2nd dose you're eligible". So much simpler.

I have a classmate that is American, had a J&J shot and AB couldn't figure out how to give him a valid Vax Passport. So he got two shots of Pfizer because nobody could figure out how to get a passport that worked.
But my pregnant wife can't get her third shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 02:27 PM   #774
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Isn’t that happening? Booking for booster is already open.
You would think so because at the announcement they said that boosters would be rolled out to "All Albertans"*

*Rolled out in age groups so only 60+, healthcare workers, select healthcare issues, etc are eligible, 18-59 TBD but don't worry folks, it's available to everyone!

Quote:
All Albertans 18 to 59 will soon be able to get a third dose at least 6 months after your second dose. Albertans 60+ and other high-risk groups are already eligible.

Bookings will open by age group as quickly as possible. Sign up for notifications.
https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx

Even the way the media wrote it up followed the Gov't announcement "Available to Everyone" except for those that aren't eligible which is pretty much everyone.

Quote:
Alberta is expanding its COVID-19 vaccine booster eligibility to include everyone 18 years of age and older.

Health Minister Jason Copping said Wednesday afternoon that third doses will be offered in stages, beginning with older Albertans first.

Third doses of COVID-19 vaccine will be offered to Albertans 60 and older first, starting on Monday. Albertans who are in this age group can begin booking appointments for their third dose starting on Thursday.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8416768/a...cember-1-2021/

Last edited by Torture; 12-13-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #775
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, its whacked. After 2 years one would think we understand how important it is to protect our weak and vulnerable.

Is there a way around it if you talk to your doctor? My parents were both wondering as well.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #776
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Yeah, its whacked. After 2 years one would think we understand how important it is to protect our weak and vulnerable.

Is there a way around it if you talk to your doctor? My parents were both wondering as well.
When my wife got her flu shot they asked if she was a healthcare worker and would have given her the booster then because they had an opened vial that was going to go to waste.

Should have lied.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:01 PM   #777
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You would think so because at the announcement they said that boosters would be rolled out to "All Albertans"*

*Rolled out in age groups so only 60+, healthcare workers, select healthcare issues, etc are eligible, 18-59 TBD but don't worry folks, it's available to everyone!

https://www.alberta.ca/covid19-vaccine.aspx

Even the way the media wrote it up followed the Gov't announcement "Available to Everyone" except for those that aren't eligible which is pretty much everyone.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8416768/a...cember-1-2021/

Okay, weird. I was about to book for wife and I but I kind or got hung up by the eligibility requirements because of “mixed dose”, so I stopped and assumed it was because the websites had maybe not been fully updated yet.

I think I posted somewhere above about the confusing way they stated things differently depending on the page you’re on.

But anyway, I thought it was basically free-for-all post 6 months.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #778
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting our booster tomorrow and I’ll take the flu shot, too.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #779
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Okay, weird. I was about to book for wife and I but I kind or got hung up by the eligibility requirements because of “mixed dose”, so I stopped and assumed it was because the websites had maybe not been fully updated yet.

I think I posted somewhere above about the confusing way they stated things differently depending on the page you’re on.

But anyway, I thought it was basically free-for-all post 6 months.
If you're mixed you can say you need a third to complete a full course for travel.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #780
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When my wife got her flu shot they asked if she was a healthcare worker and would have given her the booster then because they had an opened vial that was going to go to waste.

Should have lied.
not all health care workers are currently eligible (although maybe in the above vial wastage scenario)

this 50+ front line health care worker, 6 months+ post vaccine not eligible, as my doses were just over 8 weeks apart

really hoping this changes soon
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post: