Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 08:28 PM   #6521
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.saskatchewan.ca/governme...dular-reactors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Oilsands has already largely reduced emissions by 30% the last 2 decades, so reducing by another 40% would be pretty remarkable.

Is there any other oil producing jurisdiction on the planet that is anywhere near that level of reduction?
Start building IMSRs for process heat. 100% carbon free steam for SAGD, Steam Methane Reformation at hydrogenation, mine froth plant process steam, and cogeneration of course. Get into fertilizer production big time. So much petrochemical spin off possibilities.

Provincial Announcement on SMRs
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:40 PM   #6522
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Nm
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 12:59 PM   #6523
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
https://www.saskatchewan.ca/governme...dular-reactors

Start building IMSRs for process heat. 100% carbon free steam for SAGD, Steam Methane Reformation at hydrogenation, mine froth plant process steam, and cogeneration of course. Get into fertilizer production big time. So much petrochemical spin off possibilities.

Provincial Announcement on SMRs
I was thinking this as well. Could be a potential game changer and would allow for large developments without necessarily increasing emissions.

Fertilizer production is critical right now. I wonder how Sask is handling it.

The other thing is we need more interprovincial power selling. For some reason Manitoba is slow to sell power into Sask, but quick to sell to the US. I get the returns might be better because of exchange rates, but its sucks for helping Sask grow their needs.

Blows your mind how shortsighted our politicians are.
These days I'm amazed if they can find the pisser in the morning.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:27 PM   #6524
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I was thinking this as well. Could be a potential game changer and would allow for large developments without necessarily increasing emissions.

The other thing is we need more interprovincial power selling. For some reason Manitoba is slow to sell power into Sask, but quick to sell to the US. I get the returns might be better because of exchange rates, but its sucks for helping Sask grow their needs.

We need a national energy program. [ducks]
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 01:49 PM   #6525
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We need a national energy program. [ducks]
NO….we need better politicians.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 04:00 PM   #6526
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This. You can't expect Manitoba taxpayers to subsidize Saskatchewan when they can sell power to the US at higher prices.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:12 AM   #6527
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

It likely has a lot to do with line capacity and demand. Way more demand state side than in Sasky, and there's likely more line capacity going south because of it. Manitoba and Saskatchewan could build out capacity, but I doubt it's worth the cost.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:18 AM   #6528
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Interesting article I read the other day.

https://energynow.ca/2022/03/oil-and...try-in-canada/

"The highest expenditure by province occurred in Alberta, where companies in all sectors spent nearly $3.4 billion on environmental protection in 2019. This represents almost 40 per cent of spending across the country, which Statistics Canada says is because of the prominence of the oil and gas industry. Next highest was businesses in Ontario, which spent approximately $2 billion on environmental protection in 2019. "

I'm willing to bet that number goes WAY up in 2022 with the increase in $/bbl.

I'm trying to find what the Feds spend each year, but it's somewhere in that range.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2022, 08:36 AM   #6529
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Enter Churchill, Man., as the possible solution to Canada’s energy export problems. Situated on Hudson Bay, it has a significant port that already has an oil-handling system. The Bay is sufficiently deep for large cargo vessels and has the potential to be a gateway to world markets.

Offering a safe and dependable route, Churchill could supply our allies in both the Indo-Pacific and Europe through Arctic routes. There are challenges, of course, ranging from building pipeline infrastructure and railroads through muskeg and melting permafrost, to contending with winter ice. But none of the challenges is insurmountable with modern engineering and environmental expertise.

Ice melts are earlier, meaning that Hudson Bay is ice-free for most of the year. During those months in which there is ice, the ice is not as thick as in the Arctic proper, making it easier for icebreakers to create year-round paths.

In terms of infrastructure, new railways and pipelines would be needed, as would roads, telecommunications infrastructure, a new terminal with an underwater pipeline (mono buoys) and emergency services infrastructure.

The financial and geo-political returns coming from private/public partnership justify a significant investment. This could represent a nation-building project that would bring together the energy-exporting provinces alongside Manitoba, First Nations communities (such as the communities that are already heavily invested in the Arctic Gateway group), and the federal government, all toward serving the needs of our international allies. The sensitivities in British Columbia and Quebec would be respected, thus reducing the risks of delays or blowback.

And, all this of this would revive the economy of Northern Manitoba and neighbouring provinces by creating good, long-term jobs and raising the quality of life for Northerners who are all too often forgotten by our political leaders.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/pet...box=1648722773
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #6530
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So for those who know about the technicalities/feasibilities of energy transportation, how realistic is going through Hudson Bay? It always seemed liked the most obvious long-term solution to get around the Quebec/BC issues (or atleast Quebec, as obviously it doesn't get the energy west towards Asia) but I assume there's a reason why it's already not a bigger gateway. Does it just come down to the ice issues not making it feasible?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:22 AM   #6531
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
So for those who know about the technicalities/feasibilities of energy transportation, how realistic is going through Hudson Bay? It always seemed liked the most obvious long-term solution to get around the Quebec/BC issues (or atleast Quebec, as obviously it doesn't get the energy west towards Asia) but I assume there's a reason why it's already not a bigger gateway. Does it just come down to the ice issues not making it feasible?
I too would be interested in knowing about this.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #6532
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I am wondering the same thing. The muskeg and permafrost is going to present a big problem. But you're way more likely to get Alberta, Sask & Manitoba to agree to building the infrastructure.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:44 AM   #6533
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The Port of Churchill being touted as Alberta's saviour and Canada's solution to energy exportation again? I guess this means Kenney doesn't like his chances with the leadership review. I wonder which lucky duck iChurchill's CEO will be illegally financing to take swipes at Brian Jean and now Danielle Smith this time. Since they know they'll just fire anyone investigating into it they might as well just have Callaway announce his leadership bid again.

Kidding. Probably. Maybe. I don't know.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:10 AM   #6534
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am wondering the same thing. The muskeg and permafrost is going to present a big problem. But you're way more likely to get Alberta, Sask & Manitoba to agree to building the infrastructure.
Would you not just encounter the same issues there going through indigenous land?
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:13 AM   #6535
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Would you not just encounter the same issues there going through indigenous land?
Emotionally yes, but not legally. B.C does not have comprehensive treaties, and as such First Nations still have a legal claim to land title and mineral rights. In AB, SK and Man Indigenous land title has been extinguished. As such they don't have the same legal mechanisms. That said, there will always be resistance, and rightfully so. The Fed and Private companies are historically bad faith actors.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 04-04-2022 at 10:17 AM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2022, 10:21 AM   #6536
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I have a hard time believing the residents of Churchill, as well as the local/international environmental groups would let this one happen. IIRC the Feds also went so far as to block the sale of the rail line to an oil company a few years back. It's hard to say if the geo political situation has change the appetite any, but I doubt it.

I also seem to recall something about the bay not being deep enough for super tankers (or too much ice in winter?) and needing some kind of shuttle system.

Not impossible, but there's a LOT going against it.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:39 AM   #6537
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I have a hard time believing the residents of Churchill, as well as the local/international environmental groups would let this one happen. IIRC the Feds also went so far as to block the sale of the rail line to an oil company a few years back. It's hard to say if the geo political situation has change the appetite any, but I doubt it.

I also seem to recall something about the bay not being deep enough for super tankers (or too much ice in winter?) and needing some kind of shuttle system.

Not impossible, but there's a LOT going against it.
I would argue that Churchill's primary industry right now is eco-tourism, I think the chances of this ever happening are pretty remote.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #6538
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
I would argue that Churchill's primary industry right now is eco-tourism, I think the chances of this ever happening are pretty remote.
That's probably more narrow-sighted than those who would like Alberta to only focus on O&G. At least O&G will be around for a couple generations; polar bears not so much.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:06 AM   #6539
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
That's probably more narrow-sighted than those who would like Alberta to only focus on O&G. At least O&G will be around for a couple generations; polar bears not so much.
Embracing one industry that will destroy their main industry. seems pretty narrow-sighted.

Churchill is a town of 1,000 people. Any movement towards oil and gas would essentially require an influx of people to take those jobs. There is little benefit to a Churchillian citizen outside of more tax revenue*

*Not profit
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 11:20 AM   #6540
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

If the west coast was too sensitive for ports/O&G projects, you can be damned sure Hudson Bay will be too.