Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2020, 12:17 PM   #5321
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Also, the ETF is a huge player in the market. Commodities traders are aware of this, and know that if the value of USO gets low enough, it will liquidate and sell a huge amount of June futures. Wanting to make money, they short june futures in huge size. That pushes the price down. The ETF sponsor wont want the value of USO to go negative, so if the value of the fund gets low enough they will liquidate. That will be a huge forced sale of june crude futures, pushing the price down even more. Then the traders will cover their shorts.
This is exactly what I've seen play out over the last few days.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:18 PM   #5322
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do non-derivative based ETFs carry these death spiral risks. Like a VOO or a fund of funds like VGRO?
No. The risk for USO is that what they own doesn't stay constant - every month they sell the old futures and buy new ones. VOO owns a static basket of stocks, it only changes when the index rebalances, which isnt often or dramatic.

A better crude oil etf would own physic crude to eliminate this risk, but the cost of storage is quite high.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #5323
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. The risk for USO is that what they own doesn't stay constant - every month they sell the old futures and buy new ones. VOO owns a static basket of stocks, it only changes when the index rebalances, which isnt often or dramatic.

A better crude oil etf would own physic crude to eliminate this risk, but the cost of storage is quite high.
USO shifted to August futures, got halted and then June futures rose almost in sync. Incredibly entertaining, unless you're holding it I suppose!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 01:21 PM   #5324
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
IDK, that doesn't seem outrageously expensive to me for rent on a giant tanker.

Obviously sucks with oil being valueless, but I would have thought those things cost more.

$2.5/bbl for a month if my math is correct. Not outrageous for a short period of time.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #5325
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
$2.5/bbl for a month if my math is correct. Not outrageous for a short period of time.
About right. Also, that is hugely, insanely profitable for the tanker companies.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 05:50 PM   #5326
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
About right. Also, that is hugely, insanely profitable for the tanker companies.
Rates are up by about 5 times right now from normal.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:15 PM   #5327
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How does anyone think oil prices will recover in the next 2 months? As of May, we will still be producing at least 20% more than consumption, every day. All storage is full. It's baffling.
Enough production will come offline that it will recover (and by recover I mean $30-40USD WTI)

Whether that happens by next month or by July is the question
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:54 AM   #5328
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does anyone who knows what they are talking about want to talk about shutting in Wells and what that actually looks like on the ground and for companies that would service those sites?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 07:03 AM   #5329
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Does anyone who knows what they are talking about want to talk about shutting in Wells and what that actually looks like on the ground and for companies that would service those sites?
There would be no well services. You just stop producing oil out of the well. In Thermal operations this can do long term damage to the asset.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #5330
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Turning a valve in conventional. A little more involved in thermal.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 07:38 AM   #5331
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Even conventional wells, in a heavy oil zone, will require service to avoid being sanded in when restarting. Servicing will be needed on restart as well so the service rigs make a few bucks.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #5332
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Husky in my area (Lloydminster) has basically shut in all cold and laid off most of its staff. Hard to see those wells ever operating again.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:14 AM   #5333
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
There would be no well services. You just stop producing oil out of the well. In Thermal operations this can do long term damage to the asset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Turning a valve in conventional. A little more involved in thermal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
Even conventional wells, in a heavy oil zone, will require service to avoid being sanded in when restarting. Servicing will be needed on restart as well so the service rigs make a few bucks.
Fight fight fight
Old 04-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #5334
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well Geraldish is talking about reactivating them.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #5335
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If there is no hope of reactivating them they get tossed onto the abandoned well pile....
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #5336
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fight fight fight
I see all three of those statements in agreement with each other.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #5337
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I was just hoping for more info.

For instance is there a la our limitation on what it takes to shut down these well sites?

Say I'm the Acme Oil and Gas company and I operate Wells in Canada and all of a sudden I'm looking at the situation and thinking 'i need to shutter 100 well sites', I'm probably not the only company having to do that. Am I figuring right that sealing off or otherwise pausing an operation is a different man power concern outside of the usual steam chief , electrical engineer etc operating crew? Is it possible to physically shutter these well sites if this lingers for a long time or even gets worse?

Is there a situation where the need to limit or stop production reaches some urgency?

I'm trying to understand how it works operationally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #5338
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For instance is there a la our limitation on what it takes to shut down these well sites?

Say I'm the Acme Oil and Gas company and I operate Wells in Canada and all of a sudden I'm looking at the situation and thinking 'i need to shutter 100 well sites', I'm probably not the only company having to do that. Am I figuring right that sealing off or otherwise pausing an operation is a different man power concern outside of the usual steam chief , electrical engineer etc operating crew? Is it possible to physically shutter these well sites if this lingers for a long time or even gets worse?

Is there a situation where the need to limit or stop production reaches some urgency?

It really depends on what is being shut in.
Some operations it's really as easy as clicking on a computer screen, and you can leave them down for however you like, and turn them back on with a single click.

For others, like thermal operations, there would be a lot more work to shut things in properly and try to limit formation damage, if you even could.

There's no single answer to "What does it take to shut wells in".
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #5339
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Generally you can shut in a well and leave it shut in indefinitely. The AER has requirements based on well type and length of shut in time on if addtional work or inspections need to be done.

Don't confuse abandoning or decommissioning a well with shutting in a well. Generally wells cycle on and off anyway. And can be shut in by an operator. 100 wells could be shut in by an operator in a day or 2 really.

Certain operations (SAGD for example) are quite a bit different in how they are treated though as there is a lot more at play.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:22 PM   #5340
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
If there is no hope of reactivating them they get tossed onto the abandoned well pile....
No.
There is a lot of confusion here about orphaned, vs inactive, vs abandoned well.

Inactive wells are just wells that aren't flowing. They still belong to and are the responsibility of the owner.

Abandoned wells, are wells that have been properly sealed up and capped. Abandoned wells don't require much, if any further work or action. The next step would be reclamation of the surface site, which is usually not expensive.

Orphan wells are wells that need to be abandoned, but the owner is no longer in business. This is what the orphaned well fund is for.

So no, even if there is no hope of wells ever being reactivated, they do not go onto the "Abandoned" pile, and I'm sure what you really meant was "Orphaned", and I assume you also meant are taxpayers on the hook for the costs to abandon them. No, whoever the owner is would be required to abandon them, provided they still exist.

Hope that helps.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post: