Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2023, 01:25 PM   #801
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird day when Tesla is down 10%, and some plucky Canadian EV co. that just got a LaFarge contract is up.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 01:31 PM   #802
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Tesla Supercharger Station is being built on 130th Ave SE

In the parking lot by South Street Burger / Bulk Barn.
I heard a rumor that there was a permit or land use proposal for the empty lot where the Enoch house used to stand to be a EV charging lot, possibly a downtown supercharger.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 12:22 PM   #803
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sooo.. Telsa's display tends to lie about the range the vehicle has (until you hit 50% battery then it shifts to an accurate reading)

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...tteries-range/
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2023, 01:17 PM   #804
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW - the reason the Chinese car manufacturers will take over is because all companies that currently sell in the North American market will only make giant expensive vehicles for this market so China will be able to stream in to fill the huge market of people who don't want to pay $50k for a new car.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 01:29 PM   #805
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Weird day when Tesla is down 10%, and some plucky Canadian EV co. that just got a LaFarge contract is up.
I'm bag holding that plucky company
Old 07-28-2023, 06:51 AM   #806
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I'm bag holding that plucky company
I'm only down 10% now! Maybe I can break even, if things go really well.
Old 07-28-2023, 07:08 AM   #807
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Sooo.. Telsa's display tends to lie about the range the vehicle has (until you hit 50% battery then it shifts to an accurate reading)

https://www.reuters.com/investigates...tteries-range/
My first winter in my Model 3 erased any fantasies about winter travel in it. It's pretty alarming to just watch your battery decrease percent over percent over percent just on a 25 km city commute to work to the point I would be pretty paranoid on the highway watching the battery capacity shrink as it goes down much faster than a fuel level gauge.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 07:58 AM   #808
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
My first winter in my Model 3 erased any fantasies about winter travel in it. It's pretty alarming to just watch your battery decrease percent over percent over percent just on a 25 km city commute to work to the point I would be pretty paranoid on the highway watching the battery capacity shrink as it goes down much faster than a fuel level gauge.
Does it have the LFP battery?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #809
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Gasoline vehicles does this as well, but a bunch of the inefficiency (heat) becomes more efficient in the cold weather.

I agree that for an EV, it's great for regular commutes and whatnot. But road trips, as someone who loves topping up and just cranking out another hour or two, I'm not a huge fan of having to wait at a supercharger for half an hour to an hour.

This might change when the infrastructure changes, but we aren't in that timeline yet.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:38 AM   #810
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I heard a rumor that there was a permit or land use proposal for the empty lot where the Enoch house used to stand to be a EV charging lot, possibly a downtown supercharger.
There will be a supercharger downtown at some point in the near future. Likely in the next few months.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2023, 01:39 PM   #811
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Calgary Coop has a new charger installed at the Crowfoot location. I didn't actually drive over to that end of the parking lot to see if it is functional though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #812
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Does it have the LFP battery?
I have an LFP and I still feel like my range in -30, -40 temperature is half what it normally should be. This is simply from observing having 133 wh/km in the summer and in the winter this would basically be more around 250 wh/km.

Some testing seems to show LFP is much better in the cold however: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...er-178846.html
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #813
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I have an LFP and I still feel like my range in -30, -40 temperature is half what it normally should be. This is simply from observing having 133 wh/km in the summer and in the winter this would basically be more around 250 wh/km.

Some testing seems to show LFP is much better in the cold however: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...er-178846.html
Ya, most of the "cold" weather tests look to happen at closer to -5 than -20.
Old 08-01-2023, 12:56 PM   #814
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya, most of the "cold" weather tests look to happen at closer to -5 than -20.
There's two causes for the lower efficiency. One is simply that the battery doesn't work as good, the other is that the battery and cabin still needs to be warmed and that takes a lot of energy. Depending on the year of the model 3, it may or may not have a heat pump which makes a pretty big difference in energy use for heating. I suspect though if you have the LFP battery it's a newer model so likely to have the heat pump.

Good video here on performance at -20°F (-30°C)

Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #815
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched way to much of that, nothing of interest! The heat pump works faster. There, saved everyone 31 minutes.

I guess the surprising part(and it may come as a big surprise to Canadians in winter) is just how long it takes to warm up. Sure, you can pre-condition, but if you forget, or something comes up, it's gonna suck for awhile and you may not even be able to drive with no heat to clear the windshield. Do they heat up faster while driving? Presumably sucking power out of the pack would generate more heat than just running the heat pump.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM   #816
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also how much energy it uses. They mention in the comments that the test used 6 kWh (heat pump) and 8 kWh (PTC) to heat up, so pumping out an average of 9-12 kW given that it was a 40 minute test. By comparison, the heat pump I use to heat my entire house with maxes out at 3 kW of energy input. Obviously it's not heating from -30º to room temperature, but it's also heating an entire house and not just a car.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #817
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anybody else moving away from Tesla yet? I've had my fun with Model S's since 2015 and enjoyed them, but more so back in the day when the service, uniqueness, and performance advantages were really pronounced. I also absolutely loathe the direction towards subscription based features and you know its only going to get worse. Its now an industry standard like paying for checked luggage on a plane, and we can thank Tesla for that.

I put down a reserve on a Rivian RS1 late last year, but I imagine I'll be waiting a while for that one to come down the pipe. Test drove it in Vancouver last week and I'm excited for it.

Last edited by NuclearFart; 08-21-2023 at 12:41 PM.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:43 PM   #818
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Anybody else moving away from Tesla yet? I've had my fun with Model S's since 2015 and enjoyed them, but more so back in the day when the service, uniqueness, and performance advantages were really pronounced. I also absolutely loathe the direction towards subscription based features and you know its only going to get worse. Its now an industry standard like paying for checked luggage on a plane, and we can thank Tesla for that.

I put down a reserve on a Rivian RS1 late last year, but I imagine I'll be waiting a while for that one to come down the pipe. Test drove it in Vancouver last week and I'm excited for it.
I wanted a Tesla since 2014, but in the past 3 years have seen the other cars out there and it's not even close anymore.

Porsche, Audi, BMW, MB all have superior offerings to Tesla, at around similar price points too.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:20 PM   #819
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
I wanted a Tesla since 2014, but in the past 3 years have seen the other cars out there and it's not even close anymore.

Porsche, Audi, BMW, MB all have superior offerings to Tesla, at around similar price points too.
Yeah I just dont find most of those offferings any more exciting than a plaid Tesla. I'll give the Porsche a look, but WTF are there 'turbo' Taycans? That irrationally grinds my gears.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:57 PM   #820
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turbo just means "faster" ever since our PC's got a turbo button.