Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #1601
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I loooove our procurement process

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...box=1625481771

Quote:
The Liberal government has awarded a contract for new military radars to a firm that couldn’t complete the same project six years ago, but this time the deal is worth more than three times the original amount.

Thales Canada, which has facilities in Nepean, will receive $186 million to supply and maintain the tactical radars used for CF-18 fighter jet operations. Thales was originally selected in 2011 to provide the radars for $55 million, but in 2015 that project collapsed and the deal was terminated.

Quote:
Public Services and Procurement Canada has refused to provide details on why the original project had to be shut down and how much the failed purchase ultimately cost taxpayers.
But this time Public Services and Procurement Canada has awarded Thales an even more lucrative deal. Instead of two radars, it will deliver three such systems in a contract estimated at $154 million. The company has also been awarded a $32-million contract to provide support for the radars over a five-year period.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #1602
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonderful. Thales is the same company the City of Edmonton contracted for the signal system on the Metro Line LRT which opened in 2015. It never worked properly and the City abandoned it for another system in 2019.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #1603
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just for clarification, this is for ground based phased array radar units - operated by support units. I had mistakenly thought this was for an AESA Upgrade to the Hornet itself.

Hopefully Thales had a section in their PowerPoint on "Why We Won't FU Again"...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:18 PM   #1604
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The problem with automated systems is that most of the countries that we would consider to be threats have invested heavily in CyberWar Fare. Also jamming of data links is a real up and coming field.

A drone does no good if they lose connectivity or worse yet fall victim to malicious coding. Its why no air force is going to go whole hog into unmanned vehicles.
Why would a drones systems be any more vulnerable than the software in a manned jet?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #1605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...box=1626283941

Quote:
The Royal Canadian Navy is launching its long-anticipated push to replace Canada’s beleaguered submarine fleet, setting the stage for what will almost certainly be an extremely controversial debate around the need for such vessels.
Defence officials revealed to The Canadian Press this month that a dedicated team is being created to start figuring out what Canada needs in new submarines as the sunset on the military’s existing fleet draws steadily closer.

I mean what can go wrong? With the disaster that is the fighter jet replacement, the disaster that is the new surface combatant ships. We can't even buy pistols properly.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 12:25 PM   #1606
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drone subs and drone fighters.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:36 PM   #1607
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the subs expected to start to retire in the mid 30's, this is a good idea to start the program sooner than later

Not that it'll make a difference in the programs effectiveness
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #1608
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
With the subs expected to start to retire in the mid 30's, this is a good idea to start the program sooner than later

Not that it'll make a difference in the programs effectiveness
retire........haha did they ever all actually come on line and stay online.

That ####ing sub purchase was a debacle of monumental proportions.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:57 PM   #1609
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
retire........haha did they ever all actually come on line and stay online.

That ####ing sub purchase was a debacle of monumental proportions.
Haha. Wouldn't matter, can only fully crew 2 at a time anyway.

Such a shame
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 12:58 PM   #1610
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Haha. Wouldn't matter, can only fully crew 2 at a time anyway.

Such a shame stupid decision be people that never had to deal with the repercussions of their decisions

fixed it for ya.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #1611
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, also true.

But hey, maybe this will be the procurement that resets the narrative? I mean, if we can't figure out something as complicated as pistols, vests, rucks and boots, surely something simple like a modern submarine will be doable right?.........right?

Lol.
Old 07-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #1612
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

But I'm looking forward to spending the next 30 years reading people argue about nuclear vs diesel on the internet
Old 07-14-2021, 01:21 PM   #1613
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, also true.

But hey, maybe this will be the procurement that resets the narrative? I mean, if we can't figure out something as complicated as pistols, vests, rucks and boots, surely something simple like a modern submarine will be doable right?.........right?

Lol.
If the purchase of the LSVW didn't change #### nothing will.

I mean the ####ing truck could only get up difficult hills in reverse.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2021, 03:17 PM   #1614
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We can't even buy pistols properly.
Sounds like that's tracking along....decently? The RFP for this was written with the P320 / M17 in mind....(link). Considering the US Army, Navy and AF are buying it - and relative to an existing Browning Hi-Power....just buy the damn things and avoid the 3 yr 'evaluation'

On that note - the P320 was cleared in the most recent accidental discharge in the CAF:

Quote:
"The investigation concluded the primary probable cause of the incident was due to a partial depression of the trigger by a foreign object combined with simultaneous movement of the slide against the pistol frame that then allowed a round to be fired whilst the pistol was still holstered," said a summary of the investigation, released to CBC News today.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/spe...p320-1.6086050

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-14-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 11:19 AM   #1615
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Moron's every single one of them.

https://torontosun.com/news/national...box=1626367977

I just can't comment.

Quote:
More than 100 authors, academics and celebrities are urging Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to scrap his plan to spend billions on new fighter jets, which they say are useless in protecting Canada from security threats such as pandemics and natural disasters.

The letter was signed by authors Michael Ondaatje, Yann Martel and Gabor Maté, musicians Neil Young, Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters, Sarah Harmer, Tegan and Sara, former diplomat Stephen Lewis, actress Daryl Hannah, environmentalists David Suzuki and Naomi Klein, as well as two sitting Green Party MPs, four former MPs, Senator Marilou McPhedran and union leaders.

Quote:
“The expensive weapons are largely useless in responding to natural disasters, providing international humanitarian relief or in peacekeeping operations,” the letter to Trudeau points out. “Nor can they (fighter jets) protect us from a pandemic or the climate and other ecological crises.”

Tim Robbins: Let me explain to you how this works: you see, the corporations finance Team America, and then Team America goes out... and the corporations sit there in their... in their corporation buildings, and... and, and see, they're all corporation-y... and they make money.

Janeane Garofolo: As actors, it is our responsibility to read the newspapers, and then say what we read on television like it's our own opinion.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2021, 10:25 PM   #1616
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, if Canada decides to go with the Gripen, see if we can't get 4-6 updated Gotlund's built in the deal with Saab
Old 07-19-2021, 09:21 PM   #1617
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Canadian Veteran's band together in support of the Afghan employees that would be targetted by the Taliban as they take over Afghanistan.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canad...box=1626748788

Quote:
As Afghanistan threatens to fall to the Taliban, a group of Canadian veterans are helping to finance the evacuation of interpreters and other people who worked for the Canadian mission from their homes to safer places, anticipating evacuation to Canada.

Not Left Behind, a group co-founded by the sister of Canada’s first female soldier to die in combat, said it helped finance the safe transfer of 20 families in just the last few days.

Quote:
The grassroots effort comes soon after Canada said it plans to take in hundreds of people who gave Canadian Forces “essential support,” including interpreters and staff at the Kabul embassy and their families.

Human Rights Watch has called on countries that fought the counter-insurgency war to urgently take in the local people they hired, because they have been threatened with arrest, persecution and murder

Quote:
Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino said Friday that this plan was being developed, but gave no date.
“I know even in the last number of weeks that the situation has gotten worse, that lives are on the line,” Mendicino said. “The most important thing I want to convey with regards to this operation is that we know that Afghans put their own lives at risk by helping the Canadian effort in the war there, and we want to do right by them.”
“These Afghans believed in Canada and it’s shameful that we still have not seen a full government plan and response,” said Kate Rusk, co-founder of Not Left Behind, in a statement. “Individual veterans are stepping in to do what they can in the interim, but both our Veterans and these interpreters deserve so much better.”

Old 07-20-2021, 12:53 AM   #1618
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canadian Veteran's band together in support of the Afghan employees that would be targetted by the Taliban as they take over Afghanistan.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/canad...box=1626748788
Holy ####!!! How has this taken so long???? ####ing pathetic! Hit me with the ban hammer for language I don’t care
Zulu29 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2021, 11:17 PM   #1619
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoops - I spoke too soon about the pistol contract. Classic Canadian procurement delay - the loser files a complaint.

Quote:
Federal government officials were to receive bids on Aug. 3 for new pistols to replace the army’s Browning Hi-Power handguns. The plan was to award a contract for a new gun by December and start delivering the first weapons to troops in the summer of 2022.

But that process has come to a halt after Rampart International of Ottawa, the firm that represents handgun manufacturer Glock in the Canadian market, filed a complaint with the Canadian International Trade Tribunal. Rampart alleges the government-run competition favours Glock’s rivals, Beretta and Sig Sauer.

As a result, the CITT has requested the federal government put any contract award on hold.
https://ottawacitizen.com/news/natio...e-of-complaint

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-20-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:44 AM   #1620
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not uncommon, probably gets dismissed pretty quick. For as much as their product is superior, Glock is hard to work with which chases away partners