Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2019, 02:16 PM   #241
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Looks like they won't screw this up.

If I recall correctly player's can still wear FaF numbers 2 and 25 right?
2 is effectively retired. No one has worn it since Commodore in 04

25 was worn last season by Nick shore and Freddie Hamilton

14 hasn't been worn by anyone since Fleury left
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:19 PM   #242
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Iggy. Will be a special night honoring a special player.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #243
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hopefully the organization does something interesting for the ceremony/events. I'd love to see all the different jerseys Iginla wore throughout his time in Calgary on the ice worn by various players. Some of us never saw the pedestal jerseys and horse head being worn. Even the Heritage classic one.

Also interesting the announcement video was retro red in style. The '04 reds define Iginla's time in Calgary I think.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #244
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
Yeah, you might be the only person to have ever uttered that opinion. I suppose all the Stanley Cups, Canada Cups, Hall of Fame, and Vezina trophy really don't indicate much. Fuhr is pretty widely considered one of the best clutch goaltenders of all time.

P.S. Congrats Iginla - obviously richly deserved - will be a great night for Flames fans at the Dome.
Let me put it this way: Switch the goalies entirely. Put Vernon where Fuhr was, and put Fuhr where Vernon was. The Oilers still win four Cups. The Flames still win theirs. Detroit does not. Both guys got better in the playoffs vs. regular season, but Vernon's improvement was larger. He also had a better career save percentage, better GAA, more shutouts, etc.

Ultimately though, the difference between the two is that Fuhr played one extra season and spent most of his career behind guys like Gretzky scoring at will. He was a great goalie, there is no doubt. But there isn't really an argument that justifies one being in the HHOF but not both.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:36 PM   #245
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Says directly in 3 posts above yours that the number is being retired. Direct quote from King.

"We are honoured to have his number twelve retired and proudly displayed in the Scotiabank Saddledome rafters to be celebrated with Flames fans for all-time."
It's official, the flames will play in the Saddledome for all time.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #246
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWcrowfoot View Post
Hopefully the organization does something interesting for the ceremony/events. I'd love to see all the different jerseys Iginla wore throughout his time in Calgary on the ice worn by various players. Some of us never saw the pedestal jerseys and horse head being worn. Even the Heritage classic one.

Also interesting the announcement video was retro red in style. The '04 reds define Iginla's time in Calgary I think.
I think this has more to do with the direction of The Flames. I feel it's more and more likely we're going to switch to our Retros next season as our full-time jersey.

On the Dad's trip, all the dad's were wearing retros and I've seen some marketing sprinkled in like this that chooses to use retro as well. I think they're building to that.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #247
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
2 is effectively retired. No one has worn it since Commodore in 04

25 was worn last season by Nick shore and Freddie Hamilton

14 hasn't been worn by anyone since Fleury left
Toni Lydman wore 14 in the pre-season one year but then I assume he was asked to change it in the regular season.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #248
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
The fact that Feaster had to come back to Iggy suggested that his approval wasn’t final. Like Iggy said “I’ll consider Pitts. and Bost, but I prefer Pitts., let me know”. When Feaster said “ I can do Bost. and Pitts., but prefer Bost.”, Iggy chose Pitts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Didn't Feaster have a faux pas and not file the list of NHL teams Iggy was willing to go to? Basically giving Iggy the final say on any team until that list got filed?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #249
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
I think this has more to do with the direction of The Flames. I feel it's more and more likely we're going to switch to our Retros next season as our full-time jersey.

On the Dad's trip, all the dad's were wearing retros and I've seen some marketing sprinkled in like this that chooses to use retro as well. I think they're building to that.
You're probably right and I think the entire fan base would celebrate it but that shouldn't be the jersey Iginla is retired in.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM   #250
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Didn't Feaster have a faux pas and not file the list of NHL teams Iggy was willing to go to? Basically giving Iggy the final say on any team until that list got filed?
Iginla had a full NMC. He wasn't required to give a list. There was nothing to file with the NHL.

If the team asked him for a list of teams he was willing to go to, he always had final say of where he was going to end up. He can rescind or modify the list at any time.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #251
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, thx for the clarification.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #252
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting to see that Ticketmaster jacked up the prices for tickets as well. For the few non-resale tickets that are still available, ones that were in the same row as the ones I purchased yesterday are now $60 more expensive. Everyone is trying to make a buck it seems.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #253
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Interesting to see that Ticketmaster jacked up the prices for tickets as well. For the few non-resale tickets that are still available, ones that were in the same row as the ones I purchased yesterday are now $60 more expensive. Everyone is trying to make a buck it seems.
I think there are 3 or 4 types of pricing. This game changed to Tier 1 and rightfully so.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #254
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, I'm glad I got tickets when I did. Prices for similar tickets went up almost 300% in a matter of hours.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:07 PM   #255
jkflames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone who's been to this type of event at the Dome before... Which way would the podium face when the ceremonies are occurring, towards the players benches or the cameras? And where are the retired numbers banners located in the rafters?
jkflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #256
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkflames View Post
Anyone who's been to this type of event at the Dome before... Which way would the podium face when the ceremonies are occurring, towards the players benches or the cameras? And where are the retired numbers banners located in the rafters?
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the banners are on the Flames end of the ice (ie section 104), and that is likely the end where the podium will be set up (facing centre ice) and where the dignitaries will come out (same as the anthem singer).

Obviously no guarantee they will do it this way on March 2 but I believe that is what happened when Vernon's jersey was retired as well as Peter Maher's retirement celebration a few years back.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #257
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the MacInnis and Nieuwendyk ceremonies, they had a red carpet set up around centre ice with the speakers facing the main cameras.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #258
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

#12 = Loob & Iginla.
#14 = Nilsson & Fleury.

Which number (duo) do you feel made the greatest contribution to the Flame's organization?
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #259
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

it better be loud in there that night. Like, never heard before loud. This guy deserves it. All I have to say is if you're forking out $100's upon $100's to see this, I hope you lose your voice that night and let him know.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 PM   #260
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One of my good pals invited me to this game weeks ago. I cannot wait to be there to experience this and see iggy at the dome once agin. So looking forward to this night!