Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #21
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a pretty serious runner from 14 to about 30. Loved running trails and hills. Long runs in the evening. Then recurring injuries took me out of the game. Now I get my endurance fix from cycling - much easier on the body.

If you don't have the right body type, biomechanics will eventually catch up with you as you age. Look at serious runners in their 40s and older and they all have the same body type.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:11 PM   #22
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best spot in the world to go for a run is alpine ridges. Hike up a remote mountain and then run the ridge to the peak. I have never felt so alive, the air is clean, the views are fantastic and there is no one for miles. I haven't done that lately though. A lot of my running the last six months has been on a treadmill when my son is asleep and wife is at work. Getting outside again mostly in the Edmonton river valley and thinking of joining the running group at MEC.
No particular race plans but I have been working on speed work lately which I find enjoyable. Strava is a good tool to compare your progress.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GP_Matt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #23
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I've tried running a few times but I would always get really bad shin splints. I also got a hairline fracture at one point. I'm clearly doing it wrong.
A good shoe store should be able to assess your technique and foot striking to make recommendations for shoes and how to minimize pain (Gord's here in Calgary is pretty good). Also, every runner (or athlete in general) should learn basic strength training principles and how to effectively use foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and other tools of the trade. Rest, hydration and nutrition are also key.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #24
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #25
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
A good shoe store should be able to assess your technique and foot striking to make recommendations for shoes and how to minimize pain (Gord's here in Calgary is pretty good). Also, every runner (or athlete in general) should learn basic strength training principles and how to effectively use foam rollers, lacrosse balls, and other tools of the trade. Rest, hydration and nutrition are also key.
Also, shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome) is an injury that builds over time. Even with perfect technique, you can still do damage by increasing your distance too far, too soon. That's always been my problem -- my cardio and muscular tone improve faster than my shins, so I push myself too far. This year I'm trying to take it easy and ... so far, so good after 3+ weeks.

What do they say? Increase distance by only 10% per week? Yeah...my stubbornness had me starting at 10 k/week and trying to triple that in 2 weeks. Splinty goodness!
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

What grinds my gears is people who can't meet deadlines. Thanks for taking the Friday of the long weekend off even though you need to give me a bunch of stuff today. Oh your group doesn't have someone to back you up while you're away? No that's no problem at all. Jerk.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #27
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
What grinds my gears is people who can't meet deadlines. Thanks for taking the Friday of the long weekend off even though you need to give me a bunch of stuff today. Oh your group doesn't have someone to back you up while you're away? No that's no problem at all. Jerk.
I absolutely love this post. Extremely well done, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

How can this thread not have a sound track?

I mean really

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:48 AM   #29
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do elliptical. I'm 235lbs so running is hard on the knees and ankles.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #30
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Having run track in a previous life, 800m and 1500m are much more painful distances. 10k is a painful distance. The pain is different and it depends on what distances your training is focused on but some distances are just awful as theyre run at an intensity approaching that of a shorter distance and require holding it just that extra shtty bit longer. 5k and mara are sweet distances.
I've raced everything from 400m to 10k, and 400m is the most agonizing. 800m you can kinda pace yourself. 400m is unrelenting burn from start to finish.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #31
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I was a pretty serious runner from 14 to about 30. Loved running trails and hills. Long runs in the evening. Then recurring injuries took me out of the game. Now I get my endurance fix from cycling - much easier on the body.

If you don't have the right body type, biomechanics will eventually catch up with you as you age. Look at serious runners in their 40s and older and they all have the same body type.
There are very few cases of people who have to stop running entirely. You need to find a good physiotherapist (key word: good).

It may take several weeks of rehab exercises and a few months to build volume but only a small percentage of people should actually stop running.

Cube inmate nailed the cause of most people's shin splints; too much too fast.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #32
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my knees always acts up when I try running. Bothers me enough that I quickly decide I don't want to run anymore.

I've heard that a knee sleeve can help. Can anyone recommend a model they've had good success with?
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #33
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have never been a fan of running. Probably because I got discouraged when I was younger and I wasn't the fastest. Probably because I never got into running that when I try to run I get incredibly embarrassed because I gassed out after a dozen steps.

I believe that I have the ability to run. I'm not in any shape to just pick it up and run for 15 minutes. I need to work myself up to running longer distances.

What do you runners recommend for a beginner in the extremely beginning phases of beginning?

I'll be running on the treadmill, at least to start. If I enjoy it and get good at it then I'll go outdoors.

I've been walking on the treadmill and I might run two or three times during my walk and I could only last about a minute, but towards the end of this trial run thing I was up to 3 minutes and could have gone more but didn't want to overdo it.

I've been thinking about trying out running but had yet to look into how to properly start until this tread prompted to me to ask here.

So, how does a beginner start to run?

Last edited by Buff; 05-19-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 PM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Start with a couch to 5k program

Most start off with 30 seconds running and 1 minute walking for 20 minutes and work there way up to 10 minute runs and 1 minute walks over about 12 weeks. After that you should be able to run for 30 continuous minutes.

Here is one such program but there are lots.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Page...o-5k-plan.aspx

Or doing what you are doing on the treadmill works too, just slowly increase the running and decrease the walking. Also try to get a few outside runs because the uneven surface of pavement taxes the stabilizer muscles in your legs a lot more than a treadmill.

Last edited by GGG; 05-19-2017 at 06:23 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #35
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Start with a couch to 5k program

Most start off with 30 seconds running and 1 minute walking for 20 minutes and work there way up to 10 minute runs and 1 minute walks over about 12 weeks. After that you should be able to run for 30 continuous minutes.

Here is one such program but there are lots.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Page...o-5k-plan.aspx

Or doing what you are doing on the treadmill works too, just slowly increase the running and decrease the walking. Also try to get a few outside runs because the uneven surface of pavement taxes the stabilizer muscles in your legs a lot more than a treadmill.
This is good advice for anyone who hasn't run for more than 6 months. And it's the ideal way to slowly increase your volume to avoid things like shin splints.

I usually suggest starting at a 2 run, 1 walk x4-5, 3 days a week and increase your ratio each week. Ie 3 and 1, 5 and 1, 7.5 and 1, etc. With significant injury people sometimes need to build up their walking tolerance first. Ie 2 run 5 walk x4 before building up to the above.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #36
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default CP running thread

I started running as part of my Triathlon training last summer (I'm in my late 40's). I'm on a custom program that my coach builds for me as my training progresses. Never thought I'd like running, but I placed top 10 in my age group at a recent 5K race.

Last edited by Ironhorse; 05-19-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:22 PM   #37
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
What do you runners recommend for a beginner in the extremely beginning phases of beginning?
Join the run club at the nearest Running Room location. They have groups for everyone from beginners just getting off the couch to first time marathoners. The social aspect of it will provide more motivation and accountability than you'll ever get on your own at this initial stage. Plus it's just a lot more fun that way and you'll meet friendly people that share your goals, as well as group leaders that can answer any equipment or technique questions you have.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #38
hesh329
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
Also, shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome) is an injury that builds over time. Even with perfect technique, you can still do damage by increasing your distance too far, too soon. That's always been my problem -- my cardio and muscular tone improve faster than my shins, so I push myself too far. This year I'm trying to take it easy and ... so far, so good after 3+ weeks.

What do they say? Increase distance by only 10% per week? Yeah...my stubbornness had me starting at 10 k/week and trying to triple that in 2 weeks. Splinty goodness!
Just to add on to this make sure you look at your calves and stretch them out a lot. Many people miss out stretching both calf muscles. You want to do a gastroc and soleus stretch. I've seen plenty of runners miss this. If your calves are too tight a lot of ground for gets placed on the shins causing shin splints.
hesh329 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hesh329 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #39
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
Running saved my life.
I hear you man. If it weren't for running I'm pretty sure that bear would have caught me and ate me.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #40
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all the helpful comments so far. I'm also going to Vegas this fall and I'm "in training" for all the walking that I'll do while there. A running program may just help get me ready!

I'm not sure what it is but lately I see people running and I think "I can do that", whereas in previous years I would think "Why you torture yourself so?". I'm over 40 now and going to start running this week. I'll be sure to try out a Couch to 5k program.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote