Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2017, 01:55 PM   #1401
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

1 game under .500
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 07:23 PM   #1402
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

So nice to get that win considering JD & Tulo had the day off and Pillar came in late for pinch hitting & defensive purposes.

Also, Travis doing what he's been doing in the month of May and Maile with a timely cameo appearance. Clutch stuff.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:13 PM   #1403
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Martin played much third base in the past? He seems pretty comfortable there.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:31 PM   #1404
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Anyone else going to Seattle next weekend?!
I'll be there with some friend.... and the wife. Leaving on the really early morning flight on Friday.

I'd imagine we will do our pre-boozing at the pyramid brewery beer garden across from Safeco.

I was pretty bummed about shelling out as much as I did for this trip a Month ago, but super excited again now.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 05-31-2017 at 09:51 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:36 PM   #1405
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seattle trip looking a lot better now! Have some Garlic fries for me
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #1406
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Has Martin played much third base in the past? He seems pretty comfortable there.
Looks like 14 starts over his career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...artiru01.shtml
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 09:48 PM   #1407
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Not in the bigs, but Russell was drafted as a third basemen.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #1408
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Seattle trip looking a lot better now! Have some Garlic fries for me
The fact they serve fried clams at Safeco always inpressed the hell out of me. Ivar's fried clams at that.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:31 AM   #1409
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

So the most overrated Blue Jay of all-time almost cost the Jays the game yesterday. A 4-hopper one step to the left of Goins, easy double play and he lets it go through his legs. Thankfully Osuna just K'd the next two batters, but what do people see in Goins?

He has been extremely lucky this year with when his hits have come making him look clutch, but he is a .220 batter with minimal power, and I don't think his defense is as good as people make it out to be. The metrics don't like him this year (I know that does not tell the whole story) and he makes a lot of lazy mistakes like the one yesterday.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #1410
InBurkeWeTrust
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

http://yycdeals.com/calgary-to-toron...ver-labour-day

I think I might book and see my first ever MLB game
InBurkeWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #1411
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goins overrated? He's a bench player. Decent depth, nothing more. Where are you seeing people overrate him? (honest question) I must have missed it.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #1412
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
So the most overrated Blue Jay of all-time almost cost the Jays the game yesterday. A 4-hopper one step to the left of Goins, easy double play and he lets it go through his legs. Thankfully Osuna just K'd the next two batters, but what do people see in Goins?

He has been extremely lucky this year with when his hits have come making him look clutch, but he is a .220 batter with minimal power, and I don't think his defense is as good as people make it out to be. The metrics don't like him this year (I know that does not tell the whole story) and he makes a lot of lazy mistakes like the one yesterday.
Who rates Goins highly? He's a borderline 25th roster spot, who can play multiple positions and usually brings above average D.

He is what he is!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #1413
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I could be misremembering, but I feel like there was lots of chatter about elite defense from Goins on CP, with hitting being the only keeping him back.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:54 AM   #1414
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, I do think he is quite overrated. He is not a starting infielder but lots of people seem to think he is. Just look at him compared to Travis or Tulo - he's not even in the same conversation as those two.

I still like him on the team though - he is the "replacement" level player that can fill in at 2nd or SS when guys need days off or are injured. His defense has suffered a bit, but I still think his fielding is well above average and have confidence in his fielding.

I just hope he doesn't get any ideas in his head that he should be an every day guy. His numbers at the plate consistently show he is just not a good enough hitter to play every day.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #1415
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I could be misremembering, but I feel like there was lots of chatter about elite defense from Goins on CP, with hitting being the only keeping him back.

There was a lot of such talk here a couple of seasons ago
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM   #1416
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

and he makes a lot of lazy mistakes like the one yesterday.
He's human? What other lazy mistakes does he make? Most of the time on defense, he gets to balls that other people just plain can't get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Who rates Goins highly? He's a borderline 25th roster spot, who can play multiple positions and usually brings above average D.

He is what he is!
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Yeah, I do think he is quite overrated. He is not a starting infielder but lots of people seem to think he is. Just look at him compared to Travis or Tulo - he's not even in the same conversation as those two.
Travis has a lot less range and makes a lot more boneheaded defensive mistakes than Goins but more than makes up for it with his bat.

Tulo doesn't have the range he once did and is living a lot off of his reputation, but even as he has regressed he is still an excellent player (better than Goins and Travis).
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #1417
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't say that I've seen Goins being overrated - especially not the most overrated Blue Jay of all time.

I think the consensus is that he is an above average fielder with a below average bat. He has shown the occasional spark at the plate but he hasn't proven it over any substantial stretch of games.
ben voyonsdonc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #1418
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that Goins D is providing negative value this year. So is Smoak and Carerra.
Travis is actually 2nd best behind Pillar

Not what I expected from the eye test

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TOR/2017.shtml
Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #1419
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
A few people certainly tried to make the argument that he should be the everyday 2B as opposed to Travis...

There was also the "start Goins at SS and move Tulo to first" talk that the media picked up on too....
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #1420
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
So the most overrated Blue Jay of all-time almost cost the Jays the game yesterday.
Joe Carter almost cost the Jays the game yesterday?

... Goins is over-rated but he is not the most over-rated and more importantly he's not as over-rated by folk who make decisions as he is by some fans.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post: