Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #41
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
You have clearly never taught a classroom of kids, who thought it was night time while they were at school. We once had a storm that darkened the skies at lunch time and the panic that went on -

I guess it depends on the hours of your school, but at ours, the kids are currently arriving as it is light and leaving as it is light. If we stay on daylight savings times, they arrive in pitch dark and that worries me about a lot of young children getting off school buses, with parents driving around. I don't like the idea of so many young kids and vehicles moving around like that in the dark.

Yes, I would like to have more daylight when I get home for me, personally, because I could enjoy a nicer walk with my dogs, but there are trade-offs to consider. No system is going to be perfect.
The question would be is that risk for 2 months of the year greater or less than the consequences of switching. Increased heart attacks, car accidents and absenteeism
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #42
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Youd think golfers and the golf industry in Alberta would be bery invested in this issue. Any change that could possibly emiliminate the extra hour of evening daylight would be a huge blow to golf courses in Alberta.

I don't see how they eliminate the time change but keep us permanently on the DST side. Wouldnt that put us 2 hrs ahead of BC for six months a year?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #43
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Wouldnt that put us 2 hrs ahead of BC for six months a year?
A little less than 5 months, but yes.

That is part of the problem, when one province does it but not others, you end up with issues like they see in Saskatchewan. That is why when Bush changed DST dates a number of years ago, Canada followed suit even though we may not have agreed with the change. It's just easier to keep us on the same time zones as the States.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #44
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Youd think golfers and the golf industry in Alberta would be bery invested in this issue. Any change that could possibly emiliminate the extra hour of evening daylight would be a huge blow to golf courses in Alberta.

I don't see how they eliminate the time change but keep us permanently on the DST side. Wouldnt that put us 2 hrs ahead of BC for six months a year?
You can just wake up at 4:20 AM in June to golf, which is when sunrise would be if we went to MST. That seems to me to be a huge waste of daylight.

I'm in the camp of keep it the same > only MDT >>>> only MST
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #45
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Keep Alberta in the MST zone, where it belongs geographically; just cancel the stupid, idiotic, unnecessary and sickening DST already. It's about effin' time!
So you'd rather the sun sets an hour earlier each day in the summer? This would mean on July 1st the sun would rise at 4:26 am and set at 8:54 pm. Wouldn't it make way more sense to be on DST, so the sun rises at 5:26 am and sets at 9:54 pm? Way more people will use the sun between 9 and 10 pm, then they would between 4:30 and 5:30 am. How many people are up at 4:30 am? With a later sunset, you are turning lights on later, turning heat on later, and consuming less resources.

How is moving the hour of sun in th early morning, when most are sleeping, to the evening when it will benfit people, sickening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 12-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

9PM starts for the Flames when on the west coast, and 6PM for the eastern games. F that.

MST > MDT
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #47
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine being 3 hrs behind the NA financial markets for 7 months a year would also be very annoying for Calgary business. 6am starts will become the expectation for many people linked to financial markets. Say no to only MST!
Old 12-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #48
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I work in corporate finance and it makes life a little easier to know that in any instance we're 2 hours off NY and Toronto time. I personally don't care if we change time or not, just that we're aligned with the rest of the continent.

It would piss me off mightily if we were inconsistent with the vast majority of north america and had to deal with the inconveniences related to that because some snot nosed, 21-year old accidental NDP MLA ,needed to draft a bill to justify his existence (am i NDP bashing correctly here?). By 'researched' I bet he simply watched John Oliver tonight:

Cowboy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #49
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Let's spring forward by 30 minutes, split the difference and call it a day.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:09 PM   #50
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
9PM starts for the Flames when on the west coast, and 6PM for the eastern games. F that.

MST > MDT
Or how about leaving things as they are, understanding it is problematic to do this unless the entire country is on board.

Good lord, it is a sunday morning twice a year... does it really screw up your internal chronometers that much?
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #51
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Being out of sync with the rest of North America would be idiotic. No thanks.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #52
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

The extra hours of sunlight would just cause the planet to heat up faster anyways. NDP hippacrits.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:21 PM   #53
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: NVM. Angry Christmas shopping around strugglers-induced ranty post about hating outspoken political types that belonged more in the WRGMG thread

Last edited by Sainters7; 12-17-2016 at 01:45 PM. Reason: ExE
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #54
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Is the country on DST right now? Cause it sucks (I live in Saskatchewan).

Whatever the country is doing from March - November... stick with that one.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #55
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would love DST all the time and agree that changing our clocks is stupid and pointless. But if Alberta is the only one to stop, it shouldn't happen, that would just cause more confusion. The only way this works is if all of Canada and the US did the same, so basically it won't happen until the US goes ahead with it.

edit: we are currently off of daylight savings time, so just plain, regular, boring MST

Last edited by Swarly; 12-17-2016 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #56
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or how about leaving things as they are, understanding it is problematic to do this unless the entire country is on board.

Good lord, it is a sunday morning twice a year... does it really screw up your internal chronometers that much?
There is pretty significant actual evidence that it does.

Increases in heart attacks, see study: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE49T6DO20081030

As well as suicides: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...331.x/abstract
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 PM   #57
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
So you'd rather the sun sets an hour earlier each day in the summer? This would mean on July 1st the sun would rise at 4:26 am and set at 8:54 pm. Wouldn't it make way more sense to be on DST, so the sun rises at 5:26 am and sets at 9:54 pm? Way more people will use the sun between 9 and 10 pm, then they would between 4:30 and 5:30 am. How many people are up at 4:30 am? With a later sunset, you are turning lights on later, turning heat on later, and consuming less resources.

How is moving the hour of sun in th early morning, when most are sleeping, to the evening when it will benfit people, sickening?
"Consuming less resources" is a false argument that has been refuted many times, credibly and scientifically. What you may gain on one end, you will lose on the other, so the net effect will be zero. As for sickening: again, from a personal perspective, I hate adjusting to an hour lost and an hour gained every year and I don't have any specific schedule to keep yet. People that are on rigid schedules (due to medications, dietary requirements, farming, ranchers etc.) have been speaking against DST for as long as I can remember.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #58
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I say leave it the way it is. Its one freaking hour. My time difference between a weeknight and a weekend is more than that. People act like they're jetlagged for a week because of it. I imagine vacations to anywhere east or west must be a constant nightmare for you folks.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #59
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the goal should be to get a bunch of states and provinces to move together. So pass a bill that at such a time 5 of 10 provinces agree and 10 of 50 states we'll switch.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #60
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
There is pretty significant actual evidence that it does.

Increases in heart attacks, see study: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE49T6DO20081030

As well as suicides: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...331.x/abstract
Yeah, we need to dump the time changes. I'm totally on board with that. But it needs to be continent wide. Basically until the US does, we should not.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote