Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #261
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys, RCCC is next weekend and it's going to be glorious. Rob Liefeld canceled, but Dave Gibbons is going to be there, so that's gotta be considered a net positive by any measure, right?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 AM   #262
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saddened to hear about Len Wein's death earlier today. So many people wrote about him so much better today than I could ever attempt to. Read about him. Learn about him. Appreciate his tremendous contributions to comics as we know them today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 07:32 AM   #263
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I hit up the Red & White Comic Show at McMahon with the family yesterday. It's one of the better shows because the focus is on comics and toys and all the exhibitors are small folks.

I found a great little booth selling trades/graphic novels for $5 each, 5 for $20 or 12 for $40.

I picked up:

Loveless 1 - 3
Superman: Red Son
The Rocketeer Complete Adventures
Rocketeer Adevntures
Metabarons
World Without Superman
Return of Superman
Superman/Doomsday
Doomsday Wars

I read the Death of Superman when it first came out and never red any of the followup. My kids are getting into now and thought they'd enjoy the full run. And for $3.50ish each it was hard to pass up.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #264
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highlights of RCCC for me:

- Got to meet Dave Gibbons, shake his hand, and have him sign my copy of Absolute Watchmen. Also watched a wonderful spotlight panel on him, where he shared stories of his experiences over his career. I could listen to him talk for days. Super nice and pleasant
- Got to meet Greg Rucka and Michael Lark and gush to them about Lazarus in person. Had them sign my Lazarus hardcovers and issues I brought, got a cool new Lazarus shirt from them and an awesome challenge coin
- Attended both live recordings featuring Xplain The X-Men (one of their own episodes, one of them guesting on another podcast, Titan Up the Defense), went to their off-site meet-up/party for the third year in a row
- Got to meet with and chat with every other creator on my wish-list I posted earlier except for Michael Golden (maybe next time!)
- Picked up a few comics, works from the creators I met that sounded interesting as well as a physical copy of Hi-Fi Fight Club #1 that I previously had only purchased digitally from Comixology

Overall it was a great show. Super busy on Saturday, but otherwise very manageable, especially on the Friday since it was the first Friday ever for the con. Friday and Sunday were still busy, and it sounds like creators I talked to all had a good show overall in terms of sales or volume or whatever - but Saturday was just a crush.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #265
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoying DC's Metal event. Snyder and Capullo are my favorite Batman writer/artist, their new52 run may never be surpassed to me. Matt Reeves would be very wise to pick up a copy of court of owls and turn that into his Batman film, would easily surpass The Dark Knight as the best Batman film.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #266
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't click unless you like unsurprising and very public comic book spoilers.

Spoiler!
Old 09-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #267
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Don't click unless you like unsurprising and very public comic book spoilers.

Spoiler!
I really want to get into Marvel but they don't make it easy for new readers. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine are all different characters (I think) than who I grow up with. If I was a long time reader that would make sense because readers want to see growth but as a new reader its intimidating to get into. DC New52 was great for new readers bought my first comic book because of it and haven't looked back. I hope the new Marvel relaunch will make things easier for new readers I would love to get into X-Men or Avengers but don't even know where to start to be honest.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:04 PM   #268
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I really want to get into Marvel but they don't make it easy for new readers. Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine are all different characters (I think) than who I grow up with. If I was a long time reader that would make sense because readers want to see growth but as a new reader its intimidating to get into. DC New52 was great for new readers bought my first comic book because of it and haven't looked back. I hope the new Marvel relaunch will make things easier for new readers I would love to get into X-Men or Avengers but don't even know where to start to be honest.
I find that the landscape of comics has changed in 2 major ways that makes collecting individual issues less enticing to me:

1. Trade paperbacks and collected editions are cheaper and more plentiful.

2. A lot of modern comics are more flash than substance. The stories are often just too generic and filled with "moments". The comics themselves often have little dialogue and/or character development. You can get through one in a few minutes sometimes. The prices of issues also seem high. I get that the new glossy pages are more expensive to publish, but sometimes, as I've mentioned, you can get through one of these in a few minutes, and flashy glossy art only goes so far.

I just wait for collected editions. You can often get an entire story run for under $20, plus you have the benefit of hindsight of knowing what story arcs are critically well received.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:56 AM   #269
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like it's been awhile since this got bumped, so here we go.

November sees the release of the Doomsday Clock maxiseries from DC. I guess it's going to explore some weirdness in the DC Universe that may have been caused by Dr. Manhattan's manipulations, and might see the integration of the DC and Watchmen universes, or at least a temporary collision between them? Nadal Fan can probably fill in more details. It's going to be the first DC series I read and collect issue-by-issue since -- I dunno, maybe Long Halloween?

I read a preview of an upcoming title called Brilliant Trash from Aftershock comics, and it seems intriguing. First issue launches on November 15, from creators Tim Seeley, Priscilla Petraites, and Marco Lesko. Solicit copy follows: "In the days to come, a super powered teenage girl wipes the heavily disputed Old City of Jerusalem from the face of the globe. Now, in American dystopia after the “Lady Last Word Incident”, a click-bait headline writing “journalist” holds the key to a med-tech conspiracy that could turn people into gods for the price of days off their lives. But in a world where news is tailored to every viewpoint, will anyone believe her?"

Another thing that is happening in Marvel land is the mouthful of a series "PHOENIX RESURRECTION: THE RETURN OF JEAN GREY". So I guess OG Jean or some version of her is coming back for a 5-issue, weekly series that begins on the last Wednesday of 2017, Dec 27. There is a teenaged version of Jean running around currently as well, so I don't know what this Resurrection series will mean for the teenaged Jean's series. Gorgeous covers have been previewed for the Resurrection series' 5 issues. (Check behind the spoiler tag)

Spoiler!

I'm also going to check out a series from Vault Comics called Maxwell's Demons by creators Deniz Camp and Vittorio Astone after reading some glowing recommendations for it by comics pros I follow on Twitter. The series is supposed to debut sometime before the end of the year. Solicit copy follows: "Maxwell Maas may be the greatest mind the world has ever known, but at 10-years-old he has a lot to learn. Adventuring to distant worlds through his makeshift multiversal closet door, Max will encounter greatness and menace on a cosmic scale. Fans of Gaiman's Sandman will feel at home in the expansive, daring universe of Maxwell's Demons."

In terms of ongoings I'm reading, there's not much new there for me. I'm still mostly enjoying the current X-line, but primarily the solo books (All-New Wolverine, Iceman, Jean Grey), Generation X, and the Astonishing X-Men maxiseries. Other favorite ongoings from Marvel include Hawkeye, Jessica Jones, The Mighty Thor, She-Hulk, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, and Unbelievable Gwenpool. In terms of reading back issues, I just finished the excellent 12 issue Black Widow series by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee that was released in 2015-2016. I'm currently diving into the Daredevil run by the same creative team that launched in 2011.

Stuff that I also continue to enjoy tremendously that is not from Marvel includes Alters (Aftershock), Animosity and its companion series Animosity:Evolution (Aftershock), Curse Words (Image), Generation Gone (Image), Giant Days (Boomo Bo), and of course Lazarus X+66 (Image), the miniseries that concludes in December before the main Lazarus series resumes in Spring 2018.

What's got the rest of you excited? What titles are you reading these days?

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-02-2017 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM   #270
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm super excited for Doomsday Clock ! Basically this spins out of the DC comics one shot Rebirth by Geoff Johns. When DC rebooted their universe with new52 they took on a darker tone to their books, and fans were divided (much like their movies). Rebirth was meant to bring "Fun" back into DC Comics. The story of Rebirth ends when Batman finds a Watchmen button in the batcave leading him to investigate further. This is a story written by Johns and its a little bit of art taking inspiration from real events. From what I've seen/heard basically in the story they are saying that the Watchmen are responsible for this darker DC universe and they have to find a way to restore light back to the universe. Much like in real life in the 80s/90s after Watchmen the comic book came out , there was a lot of comics that were intimating the dark/gritty style of Watchmen. Will be a tough task to pull off, I remember the Before Watchmen books which kinda fizzled away, but Geoff Johns is a terrific writer so if anyone can integrate the two I have high hopes it's him. Alan Moore must be loving this haha
Old 11-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #271
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

In news on the comics scene, Brian Michael Bendis (co-creator of Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, and author on nearly every significant Marvel ongoing at one point or another for almost 20 years) has signed an exclusive deal with DC. This is the comic book equivalent of the Subban-Weber deal coming out of nowhere. It'll be interesting to see how the void is filled at Marvel, as well as what titles and characters Bendis gets to try his hand at over at DC.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #272
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Wow. What's the reason? Falling out or just trying something new? Or big cheque from DC...
Old 11-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #273
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't heard a concrete reason. Lots of speculation, but it seems to be an amicable decision. We'll see if any details trickle out over time, I imagine he'll be asked about it for the rest of his life.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #274
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love for him to take over JL, the current run has been dreadful ever since Johns left
Old 11-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #275
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Wow. What's the reason? Falling out or just trying something new? Or big cheque from DC...
Marvel print comics are in a lot of trouble right now. No one seems to be buying them. They tried to modernize the image of the characters, but that only made things worse. Bendis could be just getting off a sinking ship.

DC also made a lot of mistakes over the last decade but clued into their mistakes, and quickly sacked the "New 52", even retconning it in a way that admitted it was a major mistake.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 02:29 PM   #276
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure that anyone who isn't working for a comic publisher has a real sense of how well or poorly any of them are doing overall. And the small segment of info that is out there has Marvel at the top of the market in terms of unit share and dollar share, more often than not.

None of which is to say that there isn't significant room for improvement on the creative side and business side, because there certainly is.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 11-07-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #277
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find Marvel doesnt make it easy for new readers to jump on board a series. I have often tried to read Avengers since I started reading comics but between the constant re-numbering, numerous events and the changing roster of the team I just lost interest. There are several characters I grew up with but now if I want to read them they are completely different people. Which is fine if you have been reading the books, its nice to see growth in the stories but for a new reader I get confused. I prefer DC where Bruce Wayne is still Batman, Clark Kent is Superman ect.
Old 11-07-2017, 03:32 PM   #278
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I find Marvel doesnt make it easy for new readers to jump on board a series. I have often tried to read Avengers since I started reading comics but between the constant re-numbering, numerous events and the changing roster of the team I just lost interest. There are several characters I grew up with but now if I want to read them they are completely different people. Which is fine if you have been reading the books, its nice to see growth in the stories but for a new reader I get confused. I prefer DC where Bruce Wayne is still Batman, Clark Kent is Superman ect.
I would put DC in the same boat as Marvel in terms of getting new readers on board. I would considered myself a fairly knowledgable comic book fan and I have no idea where to jump in on either DC and Marvel. At least for the big name characters. There seems to be a dozen Batman books. Half a dozen Superman books. The same for X-Men and Spider-man. It's confusing as hell.

I was able to start reading Dr Strange when they relaunched it a couple years ago. One character and one storyline is easy to keep track of. I've been able to keep up with Daredevil since it was rebooted by Smith/Bendis. For the most part he sticks to his own comics and I'm able to keep up with the story for month to month. Ms Marvel has been a fun book to follow too because it's something we haven't really seen before.

The characters are constantly getting involved with big events that I have no interest in buying a dozen extra books to keep track of.

When it comes to DC and Marvel I mostly just buy mini-series. Self-contained stories that have a beginning and end. Usually out of continuity. Even then, most of those are DC. Marvel doesn't do as many as they used to.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 AM   #279
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if any one caught the new AMC show by Robert Kirkman about the history of comic books, but was pretty good. First episode was last night and was about Stan Lee and Jack Kirby and their relationship and how they essentially created every Marvel character. What a team, it's too bad their relationship soured, I guess we will never know who was more in control creatively at the time, I had always thought it was Kirby who did most the work. Kirby and his New Gods are such an integral part of the DC lore, glad they are finally being shown on the big screen with Steppenwolf and possibly Darkseid. New episode tonight is on the history of Wonder Woman and all the bondage that was snuck into the comic, should be a good watch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #280
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks I'll check it out.

If you're interested, Grant Morrison's book Supergods is a great chronicle of comic history. And The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay has a great setting at the outset of the birth of comic books and the legal and personal battles those people went through with censorship and accusations of homosexuality, etc.... Also it's a brilliant, Pulitzer Prize winning novel so there's that haha.