Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #21
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
agree. the 87 choices are legit. it was more sketchy in 84 when Coffey, Huddy, Lowe and Randy Gregg made up 4/7 of team Canada's blueline (the other 3 being Bourque, Robinson and Doug Wilson)
Agreed - there are always some really odd selections with these teams, especially in retrospect in which you view their entire career as a whole. Looking at Neely and Yzerman for instance, 1987 was before either of them broke out into superstar status, in the case of Yzerman the insane depth of team Canada (and his lack of defense at the time) kept him down the depth chart.

Who is Normand Rochefort though.

Looking at the 1987 team the one thing that really stood out was the goaltending and why Roy wasn't selected as one of the goaltenders - how Kelly Hrudey made that team above Roy is beyond me.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #22
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Imagine what the Flames would've been like with a younger Makarov for a few more years? Darn iron curtain....
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #23
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgator View Post
Imagine what the Flames would've been like with a younger Makarov for a few more years? Darn iron curtain....
But without the Iron Curtain the Flames never would have been able to select Makarov as a 24 year old at 231st overall.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Rochfort was Scott Stevens before Scott Stevens. Built like a truck and hit everything.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #25
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Gretzky, Messier, Anderson, Coffey, Fuhr.

Those seem like reasonable players to have selected for team Canada at the height of their careers.
Anderson is questionable. Though I suppose his chemistry with Messier weighed in the scales.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:47 PM   #26
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Had to make room for the leagues darlings at the time, the Oilers. Had to have as many Oilers on the team as possible.
It worked.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #27
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a documentary on the series called Mario mike and the great one - it is in 7 or so parts on you tube.

The other day powerful Pierre Lebrun tweeted it is the best three games of hockey ever
Old 09-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #28
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

"Powerful Pierre Lebrun"? Is that like a nickname you've given him?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #29
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, he sort of reminds me of the cartoon character from huckleberry hound. Besides, Pierre can't give himself a nickname
Old 09-16-2017, 11:03 PM   #30
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Yes, he sort of reminds me of the cartoon character from huckleberry hound. Besides, Pierre can't give himself a nickname
Been reading your posts and they're so bizarre. They're so close to being funny but they always seems to fall flat for whatever reasons. Poor wording, poor explanation, confusing premise.. not sure what it is. It's like you're 96% of the way to being funny but that final four percent leaves you flat.

Apes and humans also share that gap.. so think of yourself as an ape-like comedian at the moment. One day you'll walk upright, use your thumbs, and people will laugh with you, not stare at you befuddled as you hurl poop toward them.

One day.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #31
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Been reading your posts and they're so bizarre. They're so close to being funny but they always seems to fall flat for whatever reasons. Poor wording, poor explanation, confusing premise.. not sure what it is. It's like you're 96% of the way to being funny but that final four percent leaves you flat.

Apes and humans also share that gap.. so think of yourself as an ape-like comedian at the moment. One day you'll walk upright, use your thumbs, and people will laugh with you, not stare at you befuddled as you hurl poop toward them.

One day.
Says the guy with a bullet in his head.

Thanks JFK.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #32
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

One day.
Autocorrect befalls him and streetpharmicist more often than not. I'm surprised they don't just take a quick look over to see what came out. They both often rack up three to four autocorrect fails in a quick, two sentence post without even noticing, it's hilarious.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM   #33
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

One day.
I am guessing if I could ever find that 4% I could possibly make some money by being a comic and hitting the road.

I have to admit, my proofing skills with respect to my posts are almost non-exsistint
Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #34
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I have to admit, my proofing skills with respect to my posts are almost non-exsistint
Case closed.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post: