Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #201
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1546868832035282944

Quote:
everything you’ll see in this broadcast, is one week
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #202
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Now that's impressive.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 08:59 AM   #203
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a great nerdgasm.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #204
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I was expecting cooler as well. This is higher-res than what we've seen before, but it honestly - to my untrained eye - doesn't look like anything I haven't seen before. K, galaxies are swirly. Yeah, I knew that. There are a bazillion blobs of galaxies, nebulas, etc. in parts of space that look black from my backyard. Yeah, I knew that.

I'm super stoked astronomers are going to learn so much and it's great we have this, but I'm not blown away. I swear I saw a picture of what they just showed us on a poster in Spencer Gifts like four years ago.
I guess I just don’t understand what was expected.

It’s a higher resolution, deeper looking, telescope. The images are going to be of stars, galaxies, nebula, dust clouds… they aren’t going to find brand new things that will visually shock you. It’s mostly going to be data driven, based on the infrared ability of the telescope. .

Also, I keep seeing this said, but they aren’t going to have surface pictures of exoplanets… that isn’t a capability it has. But they just said they detected water vapour in an exoplanet the size of Jupiter… so that is pretty awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:01 AM   #205
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1546871970976997378
Old 07-12-2022, 09:13 AM   #206
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Also, I keep seeing this said, but they aren’t going to have surface pictures of exoplanets… that isn’t a capability it has. But they just said they detected water vapour in an exoplanet the size of Jupiter… so that is pretty awesome.
It's bloody amazing... the telescope has barely opened it's eyes and it's already doing amazing science.

The capabilities of this telescope and what's to come should be very very exciting.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #207
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1546874376351612930
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 09:33 AM   #208
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Webb:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1546877197583060993

vs Hubble:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1546877210010828800
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #209
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I guess I just don’t understand what was expected.

It’s a higher resolution, deeper looking, telescope. The images are going to be of stars, galaxies, nebula, dust clouds… they aren’t going to find brand new things that will visually shock you. It’s mostly going to be data driven, based on the infrared ability of the telescope. .

Well prior to releasing the photo, astronomers were talking about being moved to tears. I was expecting to have an emotional reaction. I didn't. I was just like, "neat, I guess." I think the main problem for me is I don't have the proper frame of reference to appreciate what I'm seeing. These truly look like things I've seen before.

Not trying to #### on the thread, but I was expecting them to unveil a discovery that would surprise or impress me. OutoftheCube saying it's just a PS5 upscaled view of what we've seen before nails it. Probably why I haven't bothered buying a PS5 yet. It's just not impressive enough for me over the PS4. Yeah, I can clearly see it's better, but not enough to move me at all.

What would have been better? A new discovery a layman could appreciate. A discovery that would change our perception of our place in the universe. I'm not seeing that here. Again, I'm seeing what I already knew - or assumed - was out there.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #210
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I was hoping for a pic of two little aliens standing on a little asteroid giving us a wave.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #211
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Well prior to releasing the photo, astronomers were talking about being moved to tears. I was expecting to have an emotional reaction. I didn't. I was just like, "neat, I guess." I think the main problem for me is I don't have the proper frame of reference to appreciate what I'm seeing. These truly look like things I've seen before.

Not trying to #### on the thread, but I was expecting them to unveil a discovery that would surprise or impress me. OutoftheCube saying it's just a PS5 upscaled view of what we've seen before nails it. Probably why I haven't bothered buying a PS5 yet. It's just not impressive enough for me over the PS4. Yeah, I can clearly see it's better, but not enough to move me at all.

What would have been better? A new discovery a layman could appreciate. A discovery that would change our perception of our place in the universe. I'm not seeing that here. Again, I'm seeing what I already knew - or assumed - was out there.
But you’re not an astronomer… so that kinda adds up. This wasn’t built to impress the layman… so again I don’t understand.

They never said anything about new discoveries yet. They said these are the first images being released. Most have been basically test images vs. Hubble as you’ve seen in comparisons.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:06 AM   #212
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:08 AM   #213
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

if you were part of the initial development team from 1996, and now 25+ years later, your vision has become reality, these images might impact you emotionally
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #214
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
But you’re not an astronomer… so that kinda adds up. This wasn’t built to impress the layman… so again I don’t understand.

They never said anything about new discoveries yet. They said these are the first images being released. Most have been basically test images vs. Hubble as you’ve seen in comparisons.
But I hear laymans falling all over themselves to broadcast how wowed they are by this. But it looks like it is just a little crisper than what we've seen before.

For astronomers, yeah, hopefully they learn a bunch of stuff that will ultimately end with us screwing around on holodecks and fataing hot aliens.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:12 AM   #215
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
if you were part of the initial development team from 1996, and now 25+ years later, your vision has become reality, these images might impact you emotionally
Exactly... I'm as impatient as anyone else when it comes to new discoveries but I'm not sure what people expected on day 1... little green aliens waving from their backyards is probably at least day 8.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #216
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
But I hear laymans falling all over themselves to broadcast how wowed they are by this. But it looks like it is just a little crisper than what we've seen before.

For astronomers, yeah, hopefully they learn a bunch of stuff that will ultimately end with us screwing around on holodecks and fataing hot aliens.
Yeah… they launched a telescope, parked it at a Lagrange point, and took the deepest image ever taken of our universe. It’s easy to be wowed by that, but I guess just as easy to not be.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:15 AM   #217
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Exactly... also I'm as impatient as anyone else when it comes to new discoveries but I'm not sure what people expected on day 1... little green aliens waving from their backyards is probably at least day 8.
Okay, well I think we're on the same page if you're acknowledging what we've seen so far isn't very exciting. Hopefully cooler stuff comes out with time.

I guarantee if I had posted that first pic here without context it was a new photo from the latest and greatest telescope people would have scrolled on by oblivious to the fact it was the best photo of the distant universe so far since it is way too similar to a million photos we've all seen before.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:28 AM   #218
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, well I think we're on the same page if you're acknowledging what we've seen so far isn't very exciting. Hopefully cooler stuff comes out with time.

I guarantee if I had posted that first pic here without context it was a new photo from the latest and greatest telescope people would have scrolled on by oblivious to the fact it was the best photo of the distant universe so far since it is way too similar to a million photos we've all seen before.
No we're not on the same page at all, but that's fine... I understand what you're saying but I disagree.

Images that don't impress you aside, you're not at least a little blown away by the fact this telescope has already detected water vapor in the atmosphere of another planet not in our solar system? See that's mind blowing to me and just scratching the surface of what this amazing telescope can do.

Edit:

This was Hubbles first image: https://www.nasa.gov/content/hubbles-first-light

Now it's a little disingenuous as this was more for calibration purposes than anything, but the Hubble then went on to capture the Pillars of Creation so give it some time.

Last edited by Old Yeller; 07-12-2022 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:30 AM   #219
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

It's still a telescope, the universe is still the universe, it's not like you're going to see something radically different.. it's like going from a Polaroid to a Hasselblad, not a Polaroid to a 3D scanner.

I mean the detail difference between these two images is incredible:

https://i.imgur.com/A9PlnZg.jpeg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2022, 10:34 AM   #220
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

No flat planets spotted? I am disappoint.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post: