Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2021, 06:02 PM   #821
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I still think the ideal location would be 2 blocks further north than currently planned - between 11 Ave and the CP tracks (Remington lot, that is/has been paved for Stampede parking as part of this deal).

Design an outdoor concourse that crosses the CP tracks and it would be right across the street from Bell NMC.

1 block from two existing parkades. 2 blocks to red and blue lines. 1 block to green line. Lots of parking to the south.
The Green Line station will be on 11ave between 5st and 6st SE according to their plans. And as of the 2018 Calgary-Bow Valley mass transit study, the piece of land on the north side of the tracks south of the Bell NMC is owned by Alberta Transportation for a future train station (Edmonton-Calgary).

If I had to bet $20 on where a downtown "central station" would be for Green line/Calgary-Edmonton line/Calgary-YYC/Calgary-Banff, this would be it. It would be nice to go full TD Garden and build the arena above a train station, but I doubt the timing lines up.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #822
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Edwards' pull out game is elite.

Like a 95 on ownerdb.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #823
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I dont live in Calgary and I only go to about 5 games on average a year but I personally like the Dome. The tickets are already high enough for a weekend game without factoring in the "new arena" price tag.

I think the Dome would be fine with a few tasteful renovations, mainly re configuring of the concourse and providing more bathrooms to patrons seems a shame to demolish it for something a little newer and fancier with less seats and more boxes. Prices out the average fan.
The biggest challenge I think would be extending the life of the roof. Once that starts to show any issues you need a new building. What’s concrete life for exposed systems? 50-60 years?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:41 PM   #824
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Calgary Herald reporting CSEC still hasn't given written notice that they have pulled out of the arena deal

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...inished-source
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 06:52 PM   #825
SaskyFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Calgary Herald reporting CSEC still hasn't given written notice that they have pulled out of the arena deal

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...inished-source
Also interesting in there is the quote around the city still needing an event centre and wondering who will be their partner. I don’t live there so obviously don’t pay taxes, but I find it hard to believe they don’t figure this out. A little cooling off period, back channel conversations and rationale thoughts prevail.

Or maybe they are both too stubborn and blow the whole thing up. Doesn’t make much sense to an outsider but what do I know.

Last edited by SaskyFlamesFan; 12-23-2021 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
SaskyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:59 PM   #826
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I dont live in Calgary and I only go to about 5 games on average a year but I personally like the Dome. The tickets are already high enough for a weekend game without factoring in the "new arena" price tag.

I think the Dome would be fine with a few tasteful renovations, mainly re configuring of the concourse and providing more bathrooms to patrons seems a shame to demolish it for something a little newer and fancier with less seats and more boxes. Prices out the average fan.
There isn't really any room to expand the Saddledome, and doing anything to the building that doesn't fix the roof problem, would be wasted money.

Also, the new building is going to have about half as many suites as the Saddledome, not more.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:21 PM   #827
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskyFlamesFan View Post
Also interesting in there is the quote around the city still needing an event centre and wondering who will be their partner. I don’t live there so obviously don’t pay taxes, but I find it hard to believe they don’t figure this out. A little cooling off period, back channel conversations and rationale thoughts prevail.

Or maybe they are both too stubborn and blow the whole thing up. Doesn’t make much sense to an outsider but what do I know.
This is all posturing over dollars, it will get done.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #828
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_82 View Post
The Green Line station will be on 11ave between 5st and 6st SE according to their plans. And as of the 2018 Calgary-Bow Valley mass transit study, the piece of land on the north side of the tracks south of the Bell NMC is owned by Alberta Transportation for a future train station (Edmonton-Calgary).

If I had to bet $20 on where a downtown "central station" would be for Green line/Calgary-Edmonton line/Calgary-YYC/Calgary-Banff, this would be it. It would be nice to go full TD Garden and build the arena above a train station, but I doubt the timing lines up.
It could be designed in a way to accommodate that...the north side wouldn't really be part of the main arena, but more of a pedestrian friendly way to bridge the CP tracks (kinda like Palliser/Calgary Tower and Gulf Canada Square do with parking lots on the south side).

Designing that corridor for efficient access/egress of both pedestrians and vehicles would be key for both.

Street level activation would probably make the most sense on that north side...a restaurant/pub and small retail could easily tie in to a rail station.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 07:53 PM   #829
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

can't believe i actually listened thru it, but eric francis with insufferable take on the arena deal on the FAN960 on commute home...minutes of my life I'll never get back...
Old 12-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #830
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
can't believe i actually listened thru it, but eric francis with insufferable take on the arena deal on the FAN960 on commute home...minutes of my life I'll never get back...
If there's a more pretentious individual who enjoys unearned privilege than him I'd be shocked.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 09:07 PM   #831
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
If anything kills the new building it’s the endless printing of money in Ottawa.

Devalued dollar = inflation. As some have said up to 20% on projects. The owners don’t want to eat that.

It’ll be no deal or a new deal. They are just playing chicken with Gronden.
Oh man, the hot takes coming from you are beyond hilarious.
So, first you are mad because the City doesn’t want to pony up more cash for the project (bunch of lefties!)
Then you are mad because the Federal Government is ponying up money for projects (bunch of lefties!)

Pick a lane! Since when did Fiscal responsibility become another evil brought on by the "wokes".

Give your head a shake and recognize your bias before you try to ‘debate’. There’s a seat at the kids table for you. Scoot along now.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 12:42 AM   #832
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's boggling my mind is the city and ownership living in a fairytale thinking this Arena gets built for less then a billion dollars.

No chance the doors open for less then that, everyone knows it.

Another factor here is with a new Arena we have to be on a short list for an NBA team, how is that not garnering more discussion.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemnoble For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 12:51 AM   #833
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Why would Calgary ever be on any list for NBA teams considering it failed in Vancouver. There is plenty more US markets that they’d expand to or double up on before going to Calgary. NBA coming to Calgary is about as realistic as NHL going back to Quebec City.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:00 AM   #834
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Why would Calgary ever be on any list for NBA teams considering it failed in Vancouver. There is plenty more US markets that they’d expand to or double up on before going to Calgary. NBA coming to Calgary is about as realistic as NHL going back to Quebec City.
The NBA in Calgary is as likely as the NHL in El Paso or Tucson.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 01:07 AM   #835
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah I was probably overstating things. Calgary will never get an NBA team.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:08 AM   #836
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there are at least a half a dozen NHL markets in the US that don't currently have NBA teams who would be ahead of Calgary on any expansion lists. Even in Canada, Montreal and a return to Vancouver are more-likely than Calgary.

Nashville, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Columbus, Seattle, and Vegas are all more-likely to get an NBA expansion team.

Plus, there are other cities with no NBA or NHL teams that would likely be ahead of Calgary if they built new arenas of their own like San Diego, Baltimore, Kansas City (new arena already in place), Cincinnati, or Austin (which is the largest US city with no major league teams).

The NBA isn't coming to Calgary any time soon.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:20 AM   #837
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Toronto has a hard enough time attracting NBA talent, the most cosmopolitan city in the country. And the 2nd most desirable city had a team for a whole 6 years before they had to cut bait. Absolutely zero chance that league ever considers another Canadian expansion team
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2021, 01:26 AM   #838
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

They're probably more likely to expand to Mexico than add another team to Canada.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:30 AM   #839
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Oh man, the hot takes coming from you are beyond hilarious.
So, first you are mad because the City doesn’t want to pony up more cash for the project (bunch of lefties!)
Then you are mad because the Federal Government is ponying up money for projects (bunch of lefties!)

Pick a lane! Since when did Fiscal responsibility become another evil brought on by the "wokes".

Give your head a shake and recognize your bias before you try to ‘debate’. There’s a seat at the kids table for you. Scoot along now.
What are you talking about. I was mad because the feds are printing money like drunken sailers and devaluing the dollar. Thus inflating the cost of everything. Including the arena.

I wasn’t debating anyone either. I don’t think you can actually debate that anyway.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:16 AM   #840
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Toronto has a hard enough time attracting NBA talent, the most cosmopolitan city in the country. And the 2nd most desirable city had a team for a whole 6 years before they had to cut bait. Absolutely zero chance that league ever considers another Canadian expansion team
Never say never. Basketball has grown tremendously in the country in the past two decades (especially thanks to the ethnic demograph), and there was management issues why Vancouver was an absolute failure. If I recall things correctly, it wasn't given too much of a chance to succeed.

The NBA in Vancouver and Montreal in the futur isn't a pipedream.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good