Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 11:57 AM   #521
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473718708401053713
https://twitter.com/user/status/1473718710825271299
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #522
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Literally nothing you wrote here indicates a team being central to civic pride. Should have just saved your time.

Just another person who doesn't live here telling us why we like our city
Kinda like a poster who could actually care less about the hockey team telling us fans why the local tax dollars should not be used to support a new arena.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #523
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious as to what his net worth is. He didn't sell the mattress company for that much. A lot of money, but not team owner money. He was an early investor in some pretty big companies, but I'd be floored if he was even at a billion, which is really where you should comfortably be to even consider buying a team.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #524
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
For the record I love public infrastructure. I don’t think the government does enough of it.

Maybe I am mistaken then, I seem to recall a certain annoyance for how your property taxes were being used.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 11:59 AM   #525
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Kinda like a poster who could actually care less about the hockey team telling us fans why the local tax dollars should not be used to support a new arena.
SW Ontario.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #526
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Literally nothing you wrote here indicates a team being central to civic pride. Should have just saved your time.

Just another person who doesn't live here telling us why we like our city
Well, do tell. Do tell. What is central to civic pride? What makes Calgary so much different from other cities that makes the heart of all Calgarians swell to five times larger beyond the tribalism associated with competition?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #527
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't they just scale back the arena somehow? would a $500m arena be a disaster? Obviously it would mean going back to the drawing board, not just cheaping out on the current design, but surely the scope could be reduced somehow, no?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #528
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

The owners group made their fortunes exploiting this province's natural resources. I have a hard time feeling terribly sorry if they have to kick in some extra money that will likely increase the value of their franchise long term.

The entire thing comes down to this, they agreed to take the cost overruns, the market shifted and now their $300MM or so is at risk of becoming $400-500MM. This is about trying to force the city back to the negotiating table to split what they originally agreed to shoulder.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #529
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SW Ontario.
Yet a Flames fan. You: Calgary but not a Flames fan, a pot stirrer on a public forum.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #530
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
How about all those that are in favour of the city putting money into the deal, how about this instead:

The flames put a GoFundMe or Kickstarter to build their arena and put their funding goal as $300 million, and once that is reached they can start the building.

this way:
- You get to fund the building/billionaires with your money, like you want to (and if you are renting/living with parents/not paying property taxes you actually contribute)

- Taxpayers who do not support the deal don't have to have their money go into it

what do you get: a sticker that says you donated to the building (hey, it's more than you get when the city pays for it)

… or the CSEC could get a loan and pay it back with money from ticket sales and tv deals.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:03 PM   #531
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yet a Flames fan. You: Calgary but not a Flames fan, a pot stirrer on a public forum.
I am a Flames fan. You don't have to consider every decision a team makes to be good to be a fan. You also don't have to want to continue the awful decisions made my too many municipalities by using tax dollars to increase the asset value of private enterprise. That's a lemming, not a fan.

I'm sure I'm very regretful that I don't come across as enough of a fan for you though.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #532
NiklasSundblad
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
, yet when we're talking about building a new publicly-owned event center facility that will be used for many things other than just hockey games, and is 50% funded by a private enterprise then I guess we're not having the same conversation then.
Publicly owned but privately profited from. Would you be willing to pay for half of a Ferrari, that only i get to drive, but will also charge you money for the privilege of watching me drive it? You would get to tell people you own a Ferrari after all.

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
NiklasSundblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #533
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Seattle will get another team when they do their next round of expansion, it's virtually a given. The NBA hasn't had any relocation candidates, or rich Seattle owners looking to pull a Clay Bennett (the Clippers were the only possibility, and Balmer prefers living in SoCal obviously). Also, speaking of Bennett, the city of Seattle could have given him a free arena with the most ridiculous perks and he still would have moved. His intentions were never to keep the team in Seattle.
We could never afford the expansion fees of $650 MM USD plus a new arena. If we lose the Flames, it would cost north of $1.2 B CAD. Have to pull a Winnipeg… Calgary Coyotes…?
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taffeyb For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #534
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm curious as to what his net worth is. He didn't sell the mattress company for that much. A lot of money, but not team owner money. He was an early investor in some pretty big companies, but I'd be floored if he was even at a billion, which is really where you should comfortably be to even consider buying a team.
Wonder if him and couple Calgary tech bros like Garrett Camp couldn't take a run at buying the team.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #535
StickMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

After reading their statement, it seems like the CSEC was kind of looking for an out as the costs kept increasing and were likely going to keep increasing, and Gondek kind of handed them that. The question is, what was Gondek's intent here? Was she just looking for her name in yet another headline and it went terribly wrong? Or was ending the arena deal her intended result?
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:05 PM   #536
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffeyb View Post
We could never afford the expansion fees of $650 MM USD plus a new arena. If we lose the Flames, it would cost north of $1.2 B CAD. Have to pull a Winnipeg… Calgary Coyotes…?
Good news that the Flames are going nowhere and this is a negotiation tactic then eh?
Old 12-22-2021, 12:06 PM   #537
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am a Flames fan. You don't have to consider every decision a team makes to be good to be a fan. You also don't have to want to continue the awful decisions made my too many municipalities by using tax dollars to increase the asset value of private enterprise. That's a lemming, not a fan.

I'm sure I'm very regretful that I don't come across as enough of a fan for you though.
Tell me, what in your post history remotely shows you as a Flames fan. I see a poster that only posts when they can shake up the nest about something or trying to bait someone. Yes, you are a Flames fan yet you want to see the team move, makes perfect sense. I think the board has seen your posts long enough to know what you are about.
Old 12-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #538
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I know this guy. He is riiiiiiiich. Not sure if he can buy a team but his family has a ton of money.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #539
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
The one thing I would love to put some thought into one day is why conservatives (myself included) are ok with public money going to sports arenas.

Seems like an interesting research idea.
Conservatives believe in trickle down economics. They consider this public money as an investment for tourism and business, bars, hotels etc., called economic impact. I myself have taken out of town clients to Flames games, often their first hockey game in person.

In the US conservative states such as Texas, Florida and Georgia have huge arena and convention center budgets.

Here Is the Texas Rangers 50-50 "sweetheart" deal

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...m/amp/92357198

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 12:08 PM   #540
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What skin do you have in this game? The difference to you is just the city’s name on the jersey if they relocate.

Should we be telling people in Hamilton or Quebec that they should bend over to get an NHL team?

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good