Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #1041
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
You have literally spent $0 in two of the last three windows. If your finances are so amazing, why are they doing nothing with that? You had a team that was competing, not an also ran. I believe you that they aren't the Little Sisters of the Poor, but the market has also significantly changed. Earning 50% more when everything costs 60% more doesn't really help. It also doesn't help when everyone is rich in the PL. ####ing Villa spent over £100 million! We'll see what comes in the next couple years, especially if it is indeed Mourinho.
Well you know you're completely ignoring the most recent window to make this argument. Spurs brought in Lo Celso and Ndombele (who both look legitimate, btw) and spent money this summer. Yes, it took a while, but they did finally crack open the wallet.

And the truth is that squad on paper is pretty solid. I don't think anyone predicted they'd be in this position (I'm sure Bagor is about to chime in, however). I know opposing supporters are gleefully lapping this up, but even they would have thought that this team is good enough to be in the mix for top four if not top of the league.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #1042
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Levy and Mourinho. What could possibly go wrong?

This is all on Levy. They had a team within a grasp of a title a few seasons back when ALL others were floundering or rebuilding. And he decided to play safe when maybe a couple of quality signings would have put them over the top.

Writing was on the wall for a long time.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #1043
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well you know you're completely ignoring the most recent window to make this argument. Spurs brought in Lo Celso and Ndombele (who both look legitimate, btw) and spent money this summer. Yes, it took a while, but they did finally crack open the wallet.
They brought in Sess, too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 03:28 PM   #1044
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
They brought in Sess, too.
I glossed over him and Jack Clarke because that wasn't a lot of money these days!
Old 11-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #1045
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And the truth is that squad on paper is pretty solid. I don't think anyone predicted they'd be in this position (I'm sure Bagor is about to chime in, however). I know opposing supporters are gleefully lapping this up, but even they would have thought that this team is good enough to be in the mix for top four if not top of the league.
Firstly I'm not gleefully lapping this up. A small part of me feels sorry for Poch, but for the most part I could care less. We've got our own mess to sort out.

I never thought it would be this bad, but it sure as hell was obvious that they were a long way of that third place shoe in many had them pencilled in for.

Old 11-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #1046
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The cruel irony of it all right? You finally spend big and take the biggest step back the club has taken in a while. But you also spent big after a deep CL run. The additional money from that was one time money and given that Spurs look destined for Thursdays next year, that's a huge loss of revenue coming. Might see them back in the bargain bin next summer, especially if they lose all those guys on frees.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:37 PM   #1047
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I glossed over him and Jack Clarke because that wasn't a lot of money these days!
Yeah, that's the other thing that SCD is kind of glossing over. The rebuild shouldn't be that hard considering all the quality young players already in the system. Dele, Clarke, Ndombele, Lo Celso, CCV, Troy Parrott, and Sess are all 23 or younger right now.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 03:57 PM   #1048
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The cruel irony of it all right? You finally spend big and take the biggest step back the club has taken in a while. But you also spent big after a deep CL run. The additional money from that was one time money and given that Spurs look destined for Thursdays next year, that's a huge loss of revenue coming. Might see them back in the bargain bin next summer, especially if they lose all those guys on frees.
Could be back on Thursdays for sure, but the big spend on the stadium is done and the players leaving are probably at the point where they really shouldn't be part of the top XI anyway. Maybe Eriksen is the only one (it depends on whether he decides to show up or not though). Truth is, these guys leaving on a free were offered up this year and no one is particularly interested. Alderweireld had a much discussed £25m release clause and no one was willing to pay it. Rose was left behind to find a home and no one was tripping all over themselves to take him. So yeah, we won't get anything for these kinds of players, which is not that much of a decrease in value it seems.

I don't think that Spurs/ENIC are about to drop £100's of millions, but that squad shouldn't need complete surgery either. Truthfully, if they brought in a RB and maybe another good midfielder, and CB they're pretty solid. It's probably time to look for a keeper, but otherwise that lineup doesn't need an entire gutting. They were near the top last Christmas, made the CL final and are far better than 14th IMO. That's why Poch is gone...
Old 11-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #1049
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Firstly I'm not gleefully lapping this up. A small part of me feels sorry for Poch, but for the most part I could care less. We've got our own mess to sort out.

I never thought it would be this bad, but it sure as hell was obvious that they were a long way of that third place shoe in many had them pencilled in for.
I didn't mean you as gleefully lapping this up, because I don't really think there's much of a rivalry with United. I still think that you guys will be going hard for Poch though, unless he ends up at Bayern quickly? Which could be cruelest irony, where we lose to him and get dropped to Europa at the same time. So it will probably unfold in just that way.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #1050
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why haven't they sold the naming rights to the stadium yet?

Old 11-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #1051
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm still hoping that you guys need Big Sam for a great escape!
Oh....now that would be delicious.

Hoof and hope football, Mustafi to Aubamayang all day long whilst swilling his Pint O' Wine.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 04:30 PM   #1052
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's pure speculation, but one rumour was that they were keeping it as Tottenham Hotspur Stadium so the NFL games all throw that out as some marketing. I think the naming rights are still to be sold though and they haven't got as good a deal as they wanted. (I don't buy that rumour)
Old 11-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #1053
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I guess it might as well be posted here, but there are a lot of outlets reporting that Mourinho is to be announced as manager tomorrow. Practice was moved from the morning to afternoon so the new manager can run it.

I'm not particularly thrilled with this. I think with Mourinho in charge we might actually win something, so that's great. I also think he's basically poison though.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #1054
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of the journos have said they wanted to wait till after first full season in club, and also potentially tie it in with broader sponsorships, which may be the kit sponsor, who makes the kit sponsor, or sleeve sponsor or multiple lol

Arsenals sleeve sponsor signed last year i think was for 10m, so it seems trivial even saying it but it's a big factor
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #1055
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Yeah, that's the other thing that SCD is kind of glossing over. The rebuild shouldn't be that hard considering all the quality young players already in the system. Dele, Clarke, Ndombele, Lo Celso, CCV, Troy Parrott, and Sess are all 23 or younger right now.
Son and kane not old either

Realistically the drop in form has been at CB, lb, rb and at the creative midfield spots

The centerbacks I think is that foyth and sanchez were probably 18 months ago eyed as being the starting duo now, I dont think ccv is a premier league player at this point, so they didnt replace toby or jan

At lb they got sess, aurier has been a disaster

For the creative mids, dele has been slumping and eriksen is eriksen, but glc was a monster in spain last year

Ndombele was basically signing of the summer too most people said, the french media didnt understand why city went after Rodri over him and the stats bomb guys loved ndombele

But like you say

Kane
Son glc dele
Ndombele winks
Sess cb cb rb
Lloris

That's not a rebuild, pretty much 3 starters, maybe even 2 because I think with 1 rb and 1 cb they can get by, Sanchez and foyth are still super young for defenders and should improve
Old 11-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #1056
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Romano says it's going to be Mourinho.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1196957780864905216

Romano's usually spot on. Going to be interesting to see what Mourinho can do with this squad ... and how he and Levy get along. I'm guessing not very well.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #1057
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think short term it’s probably the only option they had, but long term I think it’s a mistake personally.

Levy made mistakes in the offseason by not making deals for players that either wanted out or who were on the block (kind of similar to the local team here) and the locker room just wasn’t the same because of it.

I’d rather they make some actual changes in January and the summer and go with him again next year.

I think Jose is an uninspired choice too. I would love to see a team in England give Gattuso a shot. He’s crazy but did some good things in Milan the last couple years with a flawed squad.

Now you have the next two full seasons to win with Jose before he wears out his welcome and you have to start over again anyways.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:07 PM   #1058
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The PL is always more entertaining with JM.
Smart business for him to go on as a pundit full time this year. Even in this new social world, hearing his thoughts and voice each week on TV still matter to those calling the shots.

Keane the next pundit to go?
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:54 PM   #1059
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Romano says it's going to be Mourinho.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1196957780864905216

Romano's usually spot on. Going to be interesting to see what Mourinho can do with this squad ... and how he and Levy get along. I'm guessing not very well.
Oh man....this is going to be great. I mean, its not like Mourinho has a track record of leaving clubs a complete smoking ruin or anything.

Or demanding to be 'backed by the board' on enormous transfers for players who arent all that good.

Oh yeah. This'll go well. This cant miss.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 11-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #1060
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Club officially announced the hiring