Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2019, 11:02 AM   #81
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Di Marzio is pretty much putting his reputation on the line. Says United has agreed deals for Maguire and Fernandes, while claiming that Dybalas agent has traveled to England to discuss personal terms. All seems to be good to be true, will probably end in tears ... but one can dream lol.
If Pogba stays and they bring in Maguire, Fernandes and Dybala I think that they have to be in the mix for the title? I don't know how much that would be (people are saying $90m just for Maguire), but obviously that's a huge statement.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #82
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah it'd be expensive. Fernandes would probably be somewhere between 60 and 70m. Dybala would be a swap with Lukaku, but United would surely have to add some money there as well.

If (and that's a HUGE "if") they manage to sign both Fernandes and Dybala, I'd expect Pogba to leave. But we'll see, could be a pretty wild week until the window closes ... but could easily be the opposite too. All rumours right now, doesn't mean things are actually going to happen.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 01:28 PM   #83
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
If Pogba stays and they bring in Maguire, Fernandes and Dybala I think that they have to be in the mix for the title?
No.

Sure it helps to have top drawer talent but it's absolutely useless without someone to bring it together and having them play collectively as a unit, week in, week out

There's a lot of individual man and ego management to be done as well and a learning curve where each player learns his role within the team. Not to mention the constant distractions from the more attention seeking members of the squad.

If there's one thing we've all leaned in the PL era it's that throwing cash at talent alone doesn't win titles. It needs time to be brought together to form some sort of machine where every part knows their role. That's why I'll never get those that dismiss Pep as someone that's always bought trophies.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #84
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well I fully agree with the "you can't just throw money at the problem" argument, obviously. But United definitely needs strengthening, that's not even a question to me. This squad is better than they showed last year, but it's not good enough to challenge either. If they want Solskjaer to succeed, he needs to get support by getting the players he wants. And let's face it, Woodward has had so many misses at the manager position that he absolutely needs Solskjaer to be somewhat successful. He's also a club legend, he can't just be thrown under the bus like Mourinho.

Bringing in a CB and a midfielder is absolutely necessary. It's a shame that they've left things so late yet again, but here we are.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #85
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

United need to spend just to stay ahead of Leicester and Wolves and Everton. Obviously spending doesn't mean they're automatic title challengers, but they cannot afford to slip further back.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #86
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nah. These teams are solid, but will not threaten top 6. Wolves have brought in just one player (Cutrone, plus a loanee in Vallejo) and will have to cope with Europa League now too. Leicester have only brought in Ayoze Perez and could still lose Maguire to United. Everton have got a good one in Kean, but Gueye is a huge loss.

so let's not get carried away. United had a horror year and still finished 9 to 14 points ahead of those clubs.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #87
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
United need to spend just to stay ahead of Leicester and Wolves and Everton. Obviously spending doesn't mean they're automatic title challengers, but they cannot afford to slip further back.
They had one of their worst years in their PL history yet were comfortably above those three.

Do elaborate on why you think Leicester, Everton, or Wolves are nipping at their heels?

Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #88
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

United also had the dead cat bounce after Mourinho left they don't get this year unless they sack Solksjaer midseason, which I suppose is possible.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #89
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
United also had the dead cat bounce after Mourinho left they don't get this year unless they sack Solksjaer midseason, which I suppose is possible.
They don't get the Mourinho first half of the season effect earlier. Your point?

Old 07-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #90
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were dreadful from February onwards under Solksjaer. Fair to wonder if that isn't what they'll look like again if they don't close on some of these transfers.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #91
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

fitness levels were also terrible and Solskjaer had them play a different style. They ran out of gas, and injuries had an effect too. That's not an excuse for some of those shocking performances, but I'll happily give Solskjaer a chance after a full preseason and different training.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:26 PM   #92
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a chance, and with him signed for £21 million for three more seasons you're committed to him at least this year. Just that if they don't improve the squad any more than they have there's definitely a real chance 6th is best case and falling back is possible.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #93
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1156313273983279105

maaaan. Still feels way too good to be true ... would be typical if Dybala just did a Di Maria. But still, close the deal before Juve realize their huge mistake.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM   #94
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just that if they don't improve the squad any more than they have there's definitely a real chance 6th is best case and falling back is possible.
So based on what you're focusing on, you feel there's a bigger chance of United dropping below Leicester et al than passing Arsenal and Chelsea?

Old 07-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #95
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1156313273983279105

maaaan. Still feels way too good to be true ... would be typical if Dybala just did a Di Maria. But still, close the deal before Juve realize their huge mistake.
That's my fear. And to a lesser extent a Veron.

I should, but I can't get excited for this.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #96
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
So based on what you're focusing on, you feel there's a bigger chance of United dropping below Leicester et al than passing Arsenal and Chelsea?
Bigger chance? Probably not. That doesn't mean there's no chance. Although if they get these transfers done it's a totally moot point.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:42 PM   #97
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bigger chance? Probably not. That doesn't mean there's no chance. Although if they get these transfers done it's a totally moot point.
But you obviously feel of the three United are the most likely to, ignoring Arsenals problems and an equally inexperienced Frank who can't sign anyone and has just lost his best player.

Old 07-30-2019, 03:44 PM   #98
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's my fear. And to a lesser extent a Veron.

I should, but I can't get excited for this.
Veron broke my heart. I was so pumped when they signed him, thought he'd be world class there for sure. Wasn't for a lack of trying though, he just never adapted to the pace in England. His style was just way more suited to Italian football I guess.

Di Maria was different, he clearly didn't want to be there. You just never know how players react to being forced into transfers, some thrive afterwards and some just pout. Just have to hope Dybala wouldn't follow in Di Marias footsteps ... he'd be a brilliant fit in the 4231 though. Van Gaal never found a role for Di Maria, I guess Dybala wouldn't have this problem.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #99
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But you obviously feel of the three United are the most likely to, ignoring Arsenals problems and an equally inexperienced Frank who can't sign anyone and has just lost his best player.
They all have issues to work out. They could all have awful seasons. It's pretty clear the top six are in three tiers right now.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:11 PM   #100
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They all have issues to work out. They could all have awful seasons. It's pretty clear the top six are in three tiers right now.
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

You state that they need to spend just to stay ahead of Lecisester et al, and if they don't spend 6th is a best case yet you ignore Chelsea who have lost their by far best player and are not allowed to spend.

What makes you think they're in a better spot than United?