Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #1021
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
What's the best option for removal of a bunch of dirt? The wife and I just excavated a section for some paving stones and filled up about 18 of those paper gardening bags of dirt, well over 100 pounds each. At first, I niavely thought they would pick them up with the green bin, but quickly realized there would be no chance of that (checked the city website and said you should be able to pick them up with one hand).

So what are anyone's thoughts? I think Lowe's sells a portable dumpster that can be picked up by waste management.
I run mine through a sieve to get rid of the pebbles and then use it as top dressing on the lawn
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:44 PM   #1022
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
You can also take 'clean fill' to the dump for free, although if you use a trailer they will charge you apparently. So with 18 bags that is likely 2-3 loads in a pickup, but thats an option.

I am considering digging up a spot for a paving stone patio, what square footage yielded 18 bags? I am trying to wrap my head around how much volume the excavation will yield once the dirt expands, all I know is it will be "a lot".
It was about 150 sqft.

Ended up posting an ad on Kijiji for free top soil, and my goodness, it was like moths to a flame. Had about 6 responses in the first 2 minutes, and about 25 in total. It was all picked up and gone within a few hours.
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #1023
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It's always surprising what Kijiji vagrants will take away if you list it as free.
For real. I had a couple Brandon cedars from Costco that didn't make it, but were a few seasons old so were around 5-6". I put them up on Kijiji and had not one but TWO people ask for them because the branches apparently will make great kindling. The guy even offered to dig them up, lol. I ended up doing it myself to preserve the hole for future planting, but I was just stunned.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:10 PM   #1024
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I got the structure up. I still have to put in the pavers (making my own - waiting for the premixed concrete bags to arrive). Then I can build the actual bar.

And yes, the willow trees behind the "Saloon" are dead and will be replaced in autumn.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 06-08-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #1025
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody have any suggestions for a landscaper who won't break the bank? I want a few things done in my back yard that I lack the tools and time to do myself.

I need a 20' ish fence installed, a concrete stub wall removed, 20' ish of handrail installed, I also need another 500-600 sqft of sod installed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:25 PM   #1026
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

This year I've seen a big increase in ant activity in my yard. Usually I just put down some ant killer here and there as I work in the yard and that was plenty to keep them at bay. However, this year it seems like the killer is doing nothing and I'm seeing hills pop up on my lawn all of a sudden. Are others having the same issues? Maybe conditions are really good for them this year?

Any suggestions on how to get these guys? We have a 1.5 year old now so I'm less inclined to just put out a bunch of ant poison for fear of him getting into it.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:21 PM   #1027
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
This year I've seen a big increase in ant activity in my yard. Usually I just put down some ant killer here and there as I work in the yard and that was plenty to keep them at bay. However, this year it seems like the killer is doing nothing and I'm seeing hills pop up on my lawn all of a sudden. Are others having the same issues? Maybe conditions are really good for them this year?

Any suggestions on how to get these guys? We have a 1.5 year old now so I'm less inclined to just put out a bunch of ant poison for fear of him getting into it.
Diatomaceous earth. Apparently corn flakes work as well.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #1028
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know where I could buy some large/tall trees at least 15-20 feet tall? I’ve looked around and only see the shorter sizes that are much more common at Home Depot and most garden stores in town
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #1029
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Countryside in Dewinton has trees the size you are looking for.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robbie111 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #1030
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

So this is the finished Saloon. We broke it in last night
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #1031
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

This year we have got big ant hills, swarms of mosquitoes, and masses of white fluff blowing over a neighbor is tree... and of course the clay from the fence posts.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #1032
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least you're getting all the Calgary plagues out of the way in one year
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #1033
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Landscaping/Gardening Thread.

There should really be a ban on those fluff trees. It has been a week of this stuff already, and my yard looks like we have been attacked by cotton balls.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:16 PM   #1034
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had to "borrow" some clay from my neighbour today. The world truly is at an end.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #1035
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There should really be a ban on those fluff trees. It has been a week of this stuff already, and my yard looks like we have been attacked by cotton balls.
Where are you located? A week and a half ago was fluff Armageddon on the west side, and it is all but over now.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #1036
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Where are you located? A week and a half ago was fluff Armageddon on the west side, and it is all but over now.

NW. I can see the neighbours' trees and yards from where they are originating from. The trees are almost depleted, but the ones in their yard are getting swept up and redistributed over the fence by the wind.
Old 06-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #1037
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had to "borrow" some clay from my neighbour today. The world truly is at an end.

Is there a legitimate reason for wanting clay?
Old 06-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #1038
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm putting in a 1000l rain tote, and needed to fill the area a bit. Clay compresses and won't break down like top soil. I could have gone and gotten some road crush, but she had clay to get rid of and I only needed 2 wheelbarrows. I guess I could have taken gravel from the alley, too...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #1039
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Besides cost, its there any reason not to put artificial turf on your front lawn, especially if a driveway takes up 75% of the front yard?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:18 PM   #1040
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Besides cost, its there any reason not to put artificial turf on your front lawn, especially if a driveway takes up 75% of the front yard?
It looks absolutely insane off-season.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies