Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 06-25-2020, 01:11 PM   #121
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not entirely sure where to post this, but has anyone been following the chain of tweets out of BC this morning pertaining to vancouver as an NHL Hub City?

https://twitter.com/richardzussman?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Apparently Vancouver is out of the running due to BC government policies pertaining to isolation of players who test positive but are asymptomatic- the NHL wants those players to be able to play still.

1. Why does the NHL always treat municipalities/ regulations like an abhorrent enemy that they deserve to get the most from?
2. How can they justify that stance vis a vis player safety? What do the players think of that stance? The science has so far shown that asymptomatic people are just as or potentially even more infectious than others. (New England Journal of Medicine)
3. I personally don't want our government to take any steps that could risk public health just to favor location of NHL games- especially given that the benefit to hosting NHL games seems limited to a set number of contained businesses and not much else.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:19 PM   #122
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that true that the NHL is willing to let positive player play if they are asymptomatic? If true I have a hard time seeing the NHLPA accepting that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #123
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

That cannot be a real thing can it ?
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #124
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

B.C won't have any flexibility on the system we are working under. Its working, its not easy but its working. I'm lucky I'm on Vancouver Island where we seem to have gotten off easy and if any place should be opening up first its here and we aren't.

NHL having issues with how Bonnie Henry deals with things? They can look elsewhere. She's a golden Saint here.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #125
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I want Vancouver to be a Hub City.

if Bonnie Henry says no, then I accept that as gospel and the NHL can go pound sand.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #126
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does it matter where a hub city is geographically?
They can start games at any time they like to cater to the viewing markets.
Not like they have to wait for people to get off work and funnel into the stadium.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #127
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Does it matter where a hub city is geographically?
They can start games at any time they like to cater to the viewing markets.
Not like they have to wait for people to get off work and funnel into the stadium.
Didn't the NHL pretty much say that exact thing during their announcement? Which surprised me, but makes sense.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #128
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rishaug follow up tweet that AB has signed off to agree to whatever it is the NHL has proposed.

https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/s...00069419548672

No one has confirmed exactly what it is that the NHL was hung up on- just the original tweet chain i shared by that Zussman fellow. It should be noted that he seems like an upstanding reporter and I don't see why he would have motivation to lie or make that up.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:20 PM   #129
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
B.C won't have any flexibility on the system we are working under. Its working, its not easy but its working. I'm lucky I'm on Vancouver Island where we seem to have gotten off easy and if any place should be opening up first its here and we aren't.

NHL having issues with how Bonnie Henry deals with things? They can look elsewhere. She's a golden Saint here.
Ditto, our island has been a pretty good safe haven.

That’s pretty crazy to let players who have the virus and can spread to other players continue to play, but I understand they don’t want to have a teams top line wiped out of the third round of the playoffs because of it.

What if half of the team comes down with it at once during play? This is getting much trickier as we go.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 PM   #130
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having eastern teams play in the west won’t be a problem. A 4pm start pacific time is fine. Having west teams play in the east would be incredibly tough, with games going incredibly late for their local time.

I definitely see a home team playing in their own hub city.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:26 PM   #131
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Havent seen many updates related to the thread title...wondering if more Flames players are back on the ice yet since they increased the groups to 12. Is there a goalie out there with them now? etc.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 05:23 PM   #132
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lucic tweeted this out earlier today, so he's back in town...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1276166432334786560

I saw another tweet that mentioned if players are required to isolate for 14 days upon entering Canada, any player who went to the States or Europe needs to be back by tomorrow in order to be ready for the start of camp on July 11.
Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #133
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon45

https://twitter.com/user/status/1276297608219070464

Edmonton or Toronto? You'd have to think if the players have a vote, it'll be T.O., unless they fell for Kenney's little video trick.

Last edited by getbak; 06-25-2020 at 06:32 PM.
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #134
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Not entirely sure where to post this, but has anyone been following the chain of tweets out of BC this morning pertaining to vancouver as an NHL Hub City?

https://twitter.com/richardzussman?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Apparently Vancouver is out of the running due to BC government policies pertaining to isolation of players who test positive but are asymptomatic- the NHL wants those players to be able to play still.

1. Why does the NHL always treat municipalities/ regulations like an abhorrent enemy that they deserve to get the most from?
2. How can they justify that stance vis a vis player safety? What do the players think of that stance? The science has so far shown that asymptomatic people are just as or potentially even more infectious than others. (New England Journal of Medicine)
3. I personally don't want our government to take any steps that could risk public health just to favor location of NHL games- especially given that the benefit to hosting NHL games seems limited to a set number of contained businesses and not much else.

I have a hard time believing this is true. I just can’t see how the NHL thinks that letting asymptomatic players play would be a good idea. It’s probably the stupidest thing I have heard. I have been on the side of the NHL trying to get this thing off the ground, but if this does end up being true , then put me on the cancel season crowd.

Edit: looks like it was not about letting astronautics players play. My guess it was about length of time they would have to halt a series if someone tested positive.

n Thursday, B.C. provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry said if there were to be a positive case that arose, they would investigate and determine if anyone else became ill.

“It might mean suspension of part of a series for a period of time until that could be done,” Henry said.

Last edited by kyuss275; 06-25-2020 at 08:31 PM.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 08:25 PM   #135
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I would like some solid information on this whole thing. Just wait till October, do a clean start to a new season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:32 PM   #136
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inevitable that there will be outbreaks in these pro sports hubs as billionaires and millionaires try to keep the cash flowing.

Dolla dolla bills y'all.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2020, 08:35 PM   #137
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
I would like some solid information on this whole thing. Just wait till October, do a clean start to a new season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting a new complete season in October is not feasible. Even if they cancel end of this season the soonest they would start next season is early 2021 . I personally don’t think it will be early 2021 . That vaccine is going to take a while to come to market and to be administered
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #138
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update on players in Calgary...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1276563359836467200
Old 06-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #139
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Here are the tenative black aces. Mackey won't be eligible to play in real games though.

Notables from Stockton with NHL contracts not listed: Philp, Kirkland, Tuulola, Lomberg, Valiev, Nielsen

Pelletier, Zavgorodny, and Lerby have valid NHL contracts to play but also not coming.

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
Treliving says tentatively these players will be joining the team as part of their expanded roster:

Quine, Robinson, Froese, Gawdin, Czarnik, Phillips, Ruzicka, Yelesin, Gillies, Zagidulin. Also says Connor Mackey will be part of training camp. #Flames

Treliving says he’s working off the assumption there will be 28 skaters, plus goalies, for roster size when the season resumes.

Expecting that to be slightly bigger for training camp, which is how Mackey will be eligible for camp. #Flames

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-26-2020 at 11:34 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 11:29 AM   #140
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Here are the tenative black aces. Mackey won't be eligible to play in real games though.

Treliving says tentatively these players will be joining the team as part of their expanded roster:

Quine, Robinson, Froese, Gawdin, Czarnik, Phillips, Ruzicka, Yelesin, Gillies, Zagidulin. Also says Connor Mackey will be part of training camp. #Flames
Only one defenseman, and no Valimaki? Or is Valimaki already included as part of the team roster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote