Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 11:06 AM   #641
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
I don't know if Brodie is all that much better than Hanifin right now, I think most of his value comes in how effectively he can play with Giordano.

But that being said, why trade Hanifin for picks now when we don't need to? He still has multiple years on his contract and the guy everyone is slotting in to replace him hasn't played in over a year and only has 24 NHL games on his resume.

Let Hanifin Andersson see what they can do with an increased role next season while at the same time seeing what Valimaki can do then reevaluate your options next offseason.

one of my biggest nightmares for the flames is watching them trade Hanifin for a couple of picks or a 50-60 point forward before we know what he can do and having him blossom into a 50-60 point top par defensmen when given the opportunity.

If we aren't trading him for a for sure upgrade on forward (which max Domi definitely isn't) then there is no need to rush him out the door right now.

Fully agree; we should be keeping all our good young dmen and give them opportunities to prove themselves.

Gio-
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #642
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Fully agree; we should be keeping all our good young dmen and give them opportunities to prove themselves.

Gio-
Hanifin-Andersson
Valimaki-Kylington
I'm good with this too. You have Gio and Hanifin as proven top 4 guys on the left side, if Valimaki struggles after all that time off you still have:

Kylington -> 23yo / 87 NHL games / 190 AHL games
Lerby -> 22yo / 163 pro games in Europe
Mackey -> 23yo / 118 college games

One of those 4 should be able stick as a 3rd pairing LHD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #643
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmmmm....

I was just looking at Tampa's cap situation.

1. They only have $5 million in cap space with just 15 players signed.
2. Only 3 D signed and need to extend Sergachev and Cernak, both top 4 guys
3. The only high paid forwards without NMC or Full NTC are Kucherov and Point
4. Hedman, McDonaugh and Coburn all also have NMC or full NTC

They are some kind of screwed.

The Flames are gunning for a young top 6 C, they should be all over RFA Anthony Cirelli like flies on cow dung. He alone will take up the rest of their cap space.

Hockey sense, compete level, two way ability, just put up 0.65 ppg as a 22 year old.

$6.3 million for 5 years would cost a 1st and a 3rd from the 2021 draft and I don't see how they could match unless they planned to trade Kucherov, Point or Vasilevskiy who are their only 3 high paid players without trade protection.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #644
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hmmmm....

The Flames are gunning for a young top 6 C, they should be all over RFA Anthony Cirelli like flies on cow dung. He alone will take up the rest of their cap space.

Hockey sense, compete level, two way ability, just put up 0.65 ppg as a 22 year old.

$6.3 million for 5 years would cost a 1st and a 3rd from the 2021 draft and I don't see how they could match unless they planned to trade Kucherov, Point or Vasilevskiy who are their only 3 high paid players without trade protection.
I'm all for Cirelli, but this also seems like the type of situation where we should be rattling their cage about Point or even Stamkos.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #645
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

They’ll move Johnson or Gourde or even Palat before they move Point, Stamkos or Cirelli.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #646
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They’ll move Johnson or Gourde or even Palat before they move Point, Stamkos or Cirelli.
You just named 3 players with full NTC this summer and all are looking overpaid so doubtful any team would take those players on without sending back similar salary.

I could see them losing Cirelli and or Sergachev to an offer sheet
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #647
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You just named 3 players with full NTC this summer and all are looking overpaid so doubtful any team would take those players on without sending back similar salary.

I could see them losing Cirelli and or Sergachev to an offer sheet
Alright, you win this round!..

Sweet, I hope TB falls victim to the cap and is forced to move out a young talent as you predict!
Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #648
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Sweet, I hope TB falls victim to the cap and is forced to move out a young talent as you predict!
Bring Point home?
Old 07-02-2020, 04:11 PM   #649
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Bring Point home?
I wonder what it would take or if Tampa would even think about moving Point?

Obviously this would be an absolute prime target for the Flames. Could of had him and he wanted to be here but instead we went after Mason Macdonald, and Hunter Smith.

Had the Flames taken Point it would have made up for Bennett not reaching his potential
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #650
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hmmmm....

For Cirella I don't think they can even go to 4.25 which would only cost a 2nd round pick. I don't think I would want to go past that price point because I think 6 is too expensive for him. People here hate Monahan and Backlund on their contracts.... Sergachev is interesting though as he has a lot of potential, but has been at similar production for 3 years. Still might be worth a Dougie Hamilton type contact of 6.25 per year for 5 years which would really squeeze them.

Even a guy like Matthieu Joseph at 1.3 costs you nothing but really squeezes Tampa. Eric Cernik at 1.3 would also put a squeeze on them.
Old 07-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #651
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
For Cirella I don't think they can even go to 4.25 which would only cost a 2nd round pick. I don't think I would want to go past that price point because I think 6 is too expensive for him. People here hate Monahan and Backlund on their contracts.... Sergachev is interesting though as he has a lot of potential, but has been at similar production for 3 years. Still might be worth a Dougie Hamilton type contact of 6.25 per year for 5 years which would really squeeze them.

Even a guy like Matthieu Joseph at 1.3 costs you nothing but really squeezes Tampa. Eric Cernik at 1.3 would also put a squeeze on them.
All true but I was mainly thinking about the Flames needs and Cirelli fits like a glove as a 2C who was on pace for over 50 points as a 22 year old with a strong two way game and give a crap meter.

I mean, if I'm Tre I'm asking about Point first, but if they won't go there then goig after Cirelli is option 2. If you can get him for 2nd rounder compensation, even better but he might nit sign that.$6.3 AAV and he signs.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #652
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Did the same thing in Boston too. The off ice Dougie hate has no merit as far as I’m concerned.
The issue with Hamilton was never really off-ice stuff, it's more of a personality thing. He's a fun and goofy guy, but even after losses he doesn't change that and it comes off as not caring about losing and it starts to grate on teammates. As long as a team is winning he won't bother anyone.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #653
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N26 View Post
While I would admit he had more downs than ups last year I would never trade Hanifin unless it was necessary in some big deal where we were getting the better player.

I don't trade 389-game-experienced, 6'3", 205lb, 23-year old defensemen with term and a decent salary at a time of salary cap crunch (for years!) and an upcoming expansion draft.

Over his career he has shown poise, defensive skill, offensive skill and a high hockey IQ. Not quite consistently enough yet but he looks like he could be a horse for years if he takes that step. Him and Andersson could be a great long-term pairing.

Am I in the minority here or is it just that the people who trade a guy after a couple of bad turnovers are being very vocal?
I completely agree. We especially shouldn't trade him until he is given an opportunity to show what he can do as a go to top pair Dman.

The main argument against trading him is he hasn't taken a step yet but it's pretty hard when you are playing directly behind the reigning norris winner with fricken Hamonic on your pair.

But it is tough to say if we are in the minority or not haha there seems to be A LOT of trade Hanifin talk.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #654
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if Tampa could get cheaper in net and move Andrei Vasilevskiy
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 08:24 AM   #655
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Gaudreau & Rittich plus
For
Point and Vasilevskiy....
Old 07-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #656
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Isn’t he just starting his 8 year extension? Never a good look to trade a guy before his contract starts.

But having said that Tampa needs to do something because they are up against it.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #657
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who would Tampa even put in net?? No way at all they trade Vasi, one of the top goalies in the league and only 25. Though that contract is pretty enormous.

Tampa is clearly overloaded up front. Someone we are barely talking about that might be really interesting though is Cernak- RHD, big guy, only 23 and plays a heavy defensive game. Reminds me of reggie.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:09 AM   #658
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also we don't really have good pieces to trade with Tampa- we don't have an enormous amount of players who are overproducing their contracts and not a lot of strong prospects to offer Tampa... I just don't really see how we can help them.

Point, for example, only makes 6.75 for the next 3 years. So we can't offer them Monahan or Gaudreau, there are no cap savings in it for them. We don't have any prospects or younger players that would be enticing enough for that trade.

If Stamkos agreed to a trade (and they wanted to trade him) you could squeek out some cap savings on a Monahan swap, but again I am not sure it is worth it for them (or for us...)

I just don't see how we can help them for their bigger name players. Offersheeting Cirelli or Sergachev might be the only way to get something out of them.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #659
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would say that Lindholm is an example of a player outproducing his contract, although, we really would have to get Point, Stamkos or Sergachev in return for that one
Old 07-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #660
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would say that Lindholm is an example of a player outproducing his contract, although, we really would have to get Point, Stamkos or Sergachev in return for that one
This is a fair point, I would cringe to trade Lindy but for Point it might be worth it. Is it worth it for ~2 mil in cap space for the Lightening? harder to say but maybe.

Lindholm and Tkachuk are untouchable on our roster IMO. But that's my preference.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread