Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #3821
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
An unmasked, unknown person breaks any measure of social distancing protocols and yells in your face. I’d say you have every right to use force.
I don’t see how an open hand slap to the face accomplished anything. Someone who is legally allowed to use force and arrest someone, and they use the worst possible method to accomplish that out of anger. It’s a problem.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #3822
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
An unmasked, unknown person breaks any measure of social distancing protocols and yells in your face. I’d say you have every right to use force.
Does that use of force provision also apply to minimum wage retail workers who have been putting up with that kind of BS pretty much every day during the pandemic without resorting to blows or just police officers who have (presumably) received training on how to de-escalate a potentially violent situation?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #3823
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

This unmasked (and armed) citizen got in the face of these officers. Nothing happened. Curious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #3824
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has a pot leaf on his chest, so they know he's peaceful.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #3825
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yikes. I can't believe she's still standing...

That's like attempted murder. Crazy.
What a little bitch that officer is, you can hear him yelling "She headbutted me!" at the end, which she obviously did not. This is why I have no respect for cops, if this is how they act in the age of digital surveillance then imagine what happens when the cameras aren't around
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #3826
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What a little bitch that officer is, you can hear him yelling "She headbutted me!" at the end, which she obviously did not. This is why I have no respect for cops, if this is how they act in the age of digital surveillance then imagine what happens when the cameras aren't around
He moved forward and touched his shoulder to her right before the punch. As someone else mentioned that is a common police tactic down there when close to a citizen. The cop moves an inch, your bodies touch, now the citizen is touching you.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #3827
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you're actually concerned about you're well-being due to coronavirus, the obvious solution is to walk away and let her know that she can't approach you. Striking a person is strictly about punishment, it in no way prevented coronavirus (and obviously did the exact opposite if either were infected). So let's not pretend this as about coronavirus, it's because she was 'disrespectful'. Again, people supporting rampant police brutality under the guise of personal safety for the officer while not giving a crap about the public.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:46 PM   #3828
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
He moved forward and touched his shoulder to her right before the punch. As someone else mentioned that is a common police tactic down there when close to a citizen. The cop moves an inch, your bodies touch, now the citizen is touching you.
It's one of the many unethical lifehacks that officers are taught. There's this. There's yelling "stop resisting" as the officer punch them/twists their arm so a person will eventually say "I will" just to stop being hurt (see Calgary's police home invasion). But now they've just admitted to resisting arrest despite not meaning to. Then there's giving conflicting commands or hard to complete commands like keeping your hands in the air while getting face first on the ground. This is so no matter what the officer can say they didn't follow orders (see Daniel Shaver). And finally there's "fearing for your life" when you try to kill someone (see pretty much every interaction that gets the police on the news).
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #3829
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yikes. I can't believe she's still standing...
I can... I think my mom has hit me harder than that. There's a power within black women that physics hasn't quite explained.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #3830
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
One of the most important aspects of this interaction gets overlooked because of the dramatic nature of the ultimate resulting strike to the head.

The lady is airing a grievance of some type. It appears she is upset with someone perhaps taking her spot in the line or something. What she is doing, however, involves no violence or harm to anyone.

Then, the 'peace officer' engages her in demeaning, disrespectful taunting and actually enrages her by more than once in a child-like fashion daring / suggesting to her that she go and punch the other citizen she is complaining about. It is obvious to everyone including the lady what he is doing and that is what sets her off. Not that I would excuse the lady for the manner in which she chooses to react, but as I see it, the police officer took a likely non-incident and escalated it into a violent encounter.

I mean, instead of directing her anger to the police officer, she might have taken him up on his invitation and run up and sucker punched the other person. Either way, the officer was increasing the probability of violence and resulting police use of force.

Remove the unprofessional attitude and escalation conduct of the officer and there is a high likelihood absolutely nothing happens here. Boring regular day at the airport.

The accusation of a headbutt following the violent strike to the citizen's face is just too much to take. Especially as has already been pointed out, we are viewing a police body cam video and also its an airport. This is how the officer is behaving knowing it is almost a certainty that what he is doing is being recorded by multiple agencies on multiple cameras.

I would invite everyone viewing this and all similar videos to regularly look at it in the way I am suggesting. Go to the earliest parts of the interaction you can find and observe - is the officer calming and attempting to lower everyone's emotions or is the officer acting in a manner that escalates the interaction until it becomes violent?

Obviously not all of them will fit this bill, but in my view many of them do.

Not at all surprising, given the current environment where citizens are actually now demanding accountability for these incidents, the officer is already relieved of duty and a request for a state attorney investigation has been made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZmjV-NpEJM
Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #3831
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I can’t say enough how much I appreciate your posts MBates. I appreciate them even more when I’m not the one who has said something foolish and gets taken to the cleaners.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:07 PM   #3832
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Well yeah, that's a pretty big "I guess" addition to your thoughts. "Yeah I agree nobody uses that company anymore, they lost out to this other platform who's owners are probably now rich!".
Nevermind, super far off topic.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #3833
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so weird seeing ads pop up on these youtube videos of cops wailing on people. This grievous abuse of power brought to you by...
Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 PM   #3834
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's so weird seeing ads pop up on these youtube videos of cops wailing on people. This grievous abuse of power brought to you by...
Particularly hilarious because so many creators are at war with YouTube immediately demonetizing videos with the word "coronavirus" or any reference to it because it's controversial content, but are fine rolling ads on video of cops beating the hell out of people.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #3835
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if this bit of news is a better fit for here or the US politics thread, but I'm choosing this one since it's sort of become the all-encompassing BLM/systemic racism thread.

A group of some the top graduates from the United States Military Academy (West Point) class of 2018 and 2019 recently published an open letter to academy leadership demanding concrete action be taken against systemic racism at the institution. It's a pretty remarkable read, especially because it's not coming from outside anti-racism activists but from former academy cadets who are now commissioned Army officers. These young men and women are the future leaders of the US military. Before their careers are over, there's a very high likelihood that some of them will become generals or even serve on the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Their letter is divided into three sections with specific calls to action in each one: end systemic racism at the academy, provide cadets with an anti-racist education, and make changes to become an anti-racist institution. Specific demands include amending the curriculum to include more mandatory diversity and inclusion training for all cadets, removing everything from the campus that honours the Confederacy (including statues, portraits, and other pieces of art depicting in a positive manner former West Point graduates who turned traitor and fought for the South in the Civil War), severing the academy's ties with the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and hiring more black faculty members.

Here's a list of the letter's authors and their distinguished accomplishments as academy cadets:

You can read their letter in full here: https://www.slideshare.net/TimothyBe...ist-west-point

Last edited by MarchHare; 07-03-2020 at 11:41 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #3836
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I can... I think my mom has hit me harder than that. There's a power within black women that physics hasn't quite explained.
I thought of my mom when you said that and you are so damn right.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #3837
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Beheading a few of them wouldnt be a bad way of sending a message, Zuckerberg and Musk come to mind
Is my chainsaw idea catching on?
Old 07-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #3838
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I can’t say enough how much I appreciate your posts MBates. I appreciate them even more when I’m not the one who has said something foolish and gets taken to the cleaners.
I'm certain most of us in the OTF have been taken to the cleaners by MBates at some point (myself included). It's pretty much one of the CP rights of passage .

Watching the follow-up news report, they said the officer is a 20 year vet. Imagine how much useless violence he has escalated over his career. He's likely been doing crap like this for years.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #3839
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The fact that hes a 20 year vet just makes him think hes above the law and can get away with it. You know, like MLB umpires.

Old 07-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #3840
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Not sure if this bit of news is a better fit for here or the US politics thread, but I'm choosing this one since it's sort of become the all-encompassing BLM/systemic racism thread.

A group of some the top graduates from the United States Military Academy (West Point) class of 2018 and 2019 recently published an open letter to academy leadership demanding concrete action be taken against systemic racism at the institution. It's a pretty remarkable read, especially because it's not coming from outside anti-racism activists but from former academy cadets who are now commissioned Army officers. These young men and women are the future leaders of the US military. Before their careers are over, there's a very high likelihood that some of them will become generals or even serve on the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Their letter is divided into three sections with specific calls to action in each one: end systemic racism at the academy, provide cadets with an anti-racist education, and make changes to become an anti-racist institution. Specific demands include amending the curriculum to include more mandatory diversity and inclusion training for all cadets, removing everything from the campus that honours the Confederacy (including statues, portraits, and other pieces of art depicting in a positive manner former West Point graduates who turned traitor and fought for the South in the Civil War), severing the academy's ties with the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and hiring more black faculty members.

Here's a list of the letter's authors and their distinguished accomplishments as academy cadets:

You can read their letter in full here: https://www.slideshare.net/TimothyBe...ist-west-point
In even more tangential but quite interesting news, Germany is disbanding one of its elite commando units because of rampant right-wing extremism in it's ranks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europ...BV-7a8NTSMp-pI

The unit was relatively new, founded in 1996.

One part of interest is that in the disbanding process they discovered that almost 50,000 rounds and over 60kg of explosives were missing. It's possible this is just a matter of bad bookkeeping, but the fear of course is that the far-right extremists in the military have been helping arm extremist groups in the country.
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread