Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback
 
COGENT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Exp:
Question One cable t.v. feed for entire condo?

I live in a small condo building with 8 units. We all have separate cable feeds resulting in 8 separate bills. A friend of mine lives in a similar sized building and they get one cable feed and they share the bill in their condo fees. I asked my buddy how that happens and he just didn't know.

Does anyone know a way we could do this? I'm sure I could just ask SHAW but I thought I would see if I could get some insight before I approached them.
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: May 2009
Exp:
Default

I doubt shaw would help you out on this since it is not one legal unit. What you could do is just have the cable sent to your storage room and then run cables from there to each unit. But I am not sure if this is legal so if it is not mods can edit this post.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

Shaw has a multi-dwelling unit program:

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ts/default.htm
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player
 
Rathji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Supporting Urban Sprawl
Exp:
Default

I am glad they started to offer that.

My mom was on Shaw for the longest time, but then she rented out her basement to a family friend and one day a tech was there to fix a signal problem and he noticed there was someone else living in the basement so he cut all the lines leading down there.

I doubt she will go back now, because she was furious at the time, but this might prevent similar situations in the future.
__________________
"Wake up, Luigi! The only time plumbers sleep on the job is when we're working by the hour."
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Virginia
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Shaw has a multi-dwelling unit program:

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ts/default.htm

Be careful what you wish for. I would seriously doubt that they will charge you less than the combination of 8 bills. Also, do they let you all have different packages etc? What if one condo wants satellite or telus tv?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Thats all great until the condo association gets a bill with your $1500.00 worth of monthly porn rentals due to your unfortunate addiction.
__________________
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
What if one condo wants satellite or telus tv?
Presumably, that's their motivation for offering a deal. If they can undercut the other guys and get 8 subscribers as opposed to 5, it should still be extra money for them, without really any additional overhead.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Thats all great until the condo association gets a bill with your $1500.00 worth of monthly porn rentals due to your unfortunate addiction.
Hold up a second...people pay for porn?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
cKy
Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM   #9
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bitter, jaded, cursing the fates.
Exp:
Default

I live in a high rise building with 191 units. Every single apartment is paying for basic Shaw cable service -- whether they like it or not -- through their condo fees.

The building itself is almost as old as I am though, I imagine that the building infrastructure was pre-wired a Shaw feed directly into each unit and that years ago the board -- with the approval of the owners -- approached Shaw for an MDU solution.

At this year's AGM, one owner asked if he could have his Shaw portion waived from his condo fees because he doesn't use the service. He was flat out told 'no.' These deals tend to require particpation from every owner.

Given this, if I wanted to upgrade to Shaw digital TV, Shaw would honour the MDu contract and give me a hefty discount... but even so, it can't compare with the service I get from AppleTV.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #10
getbak
Franchise Player
 
getbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartsOfFire View Post
I live in a high rise building with 191 units. Every single apartment is paying for basic Shaw cable service -- whether they like it or not -- through their condo fees.

The building itself is almost as old as I am though, I imagine that the building infrastructure was pre-wired a Shaw feed directly into each unit and that years ago the board -- with the approval of the owners -- approached Shaw for an MDU solution.

At this year's AGM, one owner asked if he could have his Shaw portion waived from his condo fees because he doesn't use the service. He was flat out told 'no.' These deals tend to require particpation from every owner.
According to the small print on their information page, that's exactly how they run it: http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...lkServices.htm

"*Basic Cable service is only available to buildings that have more than 20 suites and is based on 100% penetration."

So, yeah, everyone pays for basic cable whether you use it or not (tacked onto the condo fees makes sense), and if you want additional services, you can get them for a discount.

However, it doesn't look like it's available to the OP because he lives in a building with only 8 units.
__________________
Turn up the good, turn down the suck!
getbak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getbak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves
 
Russic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Section 304
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am glad they started to offer that.

My mom was on Shaw for the longest time, but then she rented out her basement to a family friend and one day a tech was there to fix a signal problem and he noticed there was someone else living in the basement so he cut all the lines leading down there.

I doubt she will go back now, because she was furious at the time, but this might prevent similar situations in the future.
Similar story only mine involves me being a tool. The landlord had told me that sharing cable with the upstairs resident wasn't legal and not to talk to shaw about it. One day somebody from Shaw called me and asked if I wanted cable. "Actually I already have cable through you" was me idiotic response. He came back with "Oh really? We'll send somebody by tomorrow to cut that for you".
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #12
HeartsOfFire
Lifetime Suspension
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bitter, jaded, cursing the fates.
Exp:
Default

Some clarification may or may not be required for the 100% penetration part. Shaw is only interested in setting something like this up if every unit gets it because it simplifies things as well as gets them the most bang for their buck.

Hypothetically, if you have a condo corp of 100 owners, and 60 owners vote in favor of Shaw coming in and installing the basic cable service, that counts as a majority and the board is given the mandate to go ahead and get the service installed for all 100 owners. The 40 owners opposed to the move are S.O.L. They have to deal with it and fork up the extra cash in the condo fees.
HeartsOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #13
dre
Scoring Winger
 
dre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default



This thread reminds me of this episode. Some bad words in this clip.



EDIT: In no way am I implying that the OP is doing anything illegal. Thought it would be entertaining.

Last edited by dre; 07-22-2010 at 12:45 PM.
dre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dre For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #14
Buff
Franchise Player
 
Buff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: I don't belong here
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I am glad they started to offer that.

My mom was on Shaw for the longest time, but then she rented out her basement to a family friend and one day a tech was there to fix a signal problem and he noticed there was someone else living in the basement so he cut all the lines leading down there.

I doubt she will go back now, because she was furious at the time, but this might prevent similar situations in the future.
That is just unlucky.

At my parents old place when we first got Shaw Internet (Shaw@Home back then), the cable guy came and hooked up the extra connection to the computer. As he was preparing to hook things up he noticed that there was two cables hooked up to the existing splitter but three other cables that weren't plugged into anything so he asked about them. They went to ohter rooms in the house but we never hooked them up because it cost extra to have them hooked up. So he said he'll hook them up, and my mom panicked because she didn't want to pay for the extra hookups, but he said that he doesn't care how many are hooked up, and that Shaw couldn't tell.

My friend's cousin is/was a Shaw installer and he said the installers would all do similar things.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #15
Madman
Franchise Player
 
Madman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
100% penetration.
Giggity.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
COGENT
Powerplay Quarterback
 
COGENT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Exp:
Default

I talked to Shaw and they are going get back to me with a price.

In this case, all 8 units currently have digital cable through Shaw at different levels of options. I was just hoping to get a break on cost by having the building commit to Shaw only. We'll have to see how the details go because I tend to rent a ton of movies through Shaw (not always porn either CaptainCrunch), I don't know how that would work.
COGENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy
 
ken0042's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default

[Mod voice] While the odd Trailer Park Boys clip is funny, let's keep in mind that the OP didn't ask about anything illegal. So let's keep this thread above board so we don't end up having to moderate or delete it.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cable , condo , t.v.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021