Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2021, 11:59 AM   #1301
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was thinking about this recently as adoption was increasing like Tesla purchasing etc. Won't high profile adoption like this actually stop the price of BTC from increasing? at least in the spikes we are used to. Bitcoin is now getting backing of physical goods so there is no longer an invisible ceiling and in fact bitcoin prices should start dropping as adoption increases BTC would have to start coming more in line with FIAT currencies.

Isn't this the reason for cryptocurrency to have a decentralized currency? I mean that doesn't work if the value keeps skyrocketing.

lets say 95% still using Fiat currency and 5% using crypto until the number flips fiat currency is still going to affect crypto prices especially if goods can be bought with either. If a Tesla costs 100k then its would cost 1.4 bitcoin I would think by association that would keep the prices stable?

Thoughts?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #1302
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I was thinking about this recently as adoption was increasing like Tesla purchasing etc. Won't high profile adoption like this actually stop the price of BTC from increasing? at least in the spikes we are used to. Bitcoin is now getting backing of physical goods so there is no longer an invisible ceiling and in fact bitcoin prices should start dropping as adoption increases BTC would have to start coming more in line with FIAT currencies.

Isn't this the reason for cryptocurrency to have a decentralized currency? I mean that doesn't work if the value keeps skyrocketing.

lets say 95% still using Fiat currency and 5% using crypto until the number flips fiat currency is still going to affect crypto prices especially if goods can be bought with either. If a Tesla costs 100k then its would cost 1.4 bitcoin I would think by association that would keep the prices stable?

Thoughts?
I think the idea of Bitcoin being used for currency has largely passed.
Elon is just doing it to pump his holdings, both Bitcoin and Tesla. He's a master market manipulator.

The idea of Bitcoin as a gold like use case seems more prevalent and the reason for its large gains this year.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #1303
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I think the idea of Bitcoin being used for currency has largely passed.
Elon is just doing it to pump his holdings, both Bitcoin and Tesla. He's a master market manipulator.

The idea of Bitcoin as a gold like use case seems more prevalent and the reason for its large gains this year.
If he wanted to pump his holdings why did he stop the increase after he bought them by tweeting that bitcoin prices were high? 10% drop after that on his 1.5b. Was he just testing the extent of his ability to manipulate it?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #1304
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
If he wanted to pump his holdings why did he stop the increase after he bought them by tweeting that bitcoin prices were high? 10% drop after that on his 1.5b. Was he just testing the extent of his ability to manipulate it?
So if Bitcoin price appears it has leveled off for a while, those holders will cash out some for Teslas and then up it goes again while he’s gained a ton of BTC.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 11:09 AM   #1305
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Is there a limit on the amount of Bitcoin that 1 person can withdraw/transfer to USD/CAD per day?
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:03 AM   #1306
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1376468620155363330
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #1307
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Is there a limit on the amount of Bitcoin that 1 person can withdraw/transfer to USD/CAD per day?
I think how much you can sell to fiat might be more likely restricted by your bank/PayPal/etc. than the exchange.

I know CBPro has a cap of 200k USD per day in general transactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 01:08 PM   #1308
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know people who have received million dollar wires from bitfinex in single transactions.

Not aware of any limit...I'm sure some exchanges have their own.

I have transferred over 500k of BTC between wallets in a matter of minutes...that is one of the major strengths of Crypto. I don't think there are limits with Bitcoin transfers...people have moved billions in a short period of time.

Last edited by dino7c; 03-29-2021 at 01:45 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:15 PM   #1309
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I'm a bit of a privacy hawk, and I started reading about monero today. That led me down a rabbit hole of other privacy-focused coins. Anyone ever heard of mobilecoin? It's fairly new, but given it is a mobile-focused coin (with the intent of it being easier to use than current coins), I thought it might be worth investing a few bucks into.

Anyone ever heard of it? Thoughts/discussion? Or just feel free to post telling me that it has no fundamental value and will crash to -$10,000 soon.

Up about 400% in 4 days. Crazy.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 02:27 PM   #1310
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Up about 400% in 4 days. Crazy.
If you invested in it, congrats.

Recalling the 2017 bull run and its famous "alt-season", it seemed like almost every coin will have its day in the sun with massive appreciation, for a time. However, if you look at the current prices of most coins, very few are above or even close to their all-time high as they didn't have staying power. The challenge of alt-coins has been getting in at the right time and getting out at the right time, and not get tied to a position as it corrects back down.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:14 AM   #1311
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
The Ethereum Blockchain has high fees.

I hope they go with the Crypto.org Mainnet eventually.

You can transfer for like $.001 right now.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #1312
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

ETH fees will become much lower around July when mining dies, but yeah for the time being, gas is unreal.

Quote:
Old 03-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #1313
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

How bad is the return on ETH mining supposed to get? I haven't read much into it.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #1314
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone explain the whole Etherium planned burn thing that's supposed to happen soon?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:16 PM   #1315
tony-soprano
Scoring Winger

Exp:

GLQ anyone? Also, is the hype around Cardano something I should take more seriously?
tony-soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:24 PM   #1316
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
How bad is the return on ETH mining supposed to get? I haven't read much into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Can someone explain the whole Etherium planned burn thing that's supposed to happen soon?

This post has a concise summary of the primary components of the current mining reward and what would change if EIP-1559 is adopted in the summer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EtherMining...miner_revenue/
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 03:22 PM   #1317
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't expect ETH to be the mining coin du jour if it's return is cut by 30% or more.

FIRO, Aeternity, Conflux and possibly even Raven could compete in that pricing sphere; they are mostly all ETH-20 based and most use the same miner software, though not all are on the biggest exchanges (but I'd argue that Gate.io and Bittrex are growing, especially internationally).

There are myriad factors that will play into the viability of ETH mining this summer vs other coins such as
  • Price of ETH - If it goes over 2,000 USD and stays there, it becomes very attractive
  • Other tokens increasing in value - All the tokens noted above jump around, but have the potential to become much larger
  • Block Difficulty - ETH has only been getting progressively harder to mine (almost 3x harder than last April as of writing), and is now frequently over 6P the last week. It will only get worse
  • Exchange Adoption - If you see any of those 4 coins get brought into say, the Coinbase ecosphere, their pricing will most likely jump as trading will become much easier

Quote:
Old 04-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #1318
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, ETH did it. About 2070 USD as I write this. All the other coins I mentioned are up as well. Great time to mine right now!

Quote:
Old 04-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #1319
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

ETH finally taking off
Old 04-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #1320
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, let me ask you experts for some guidance. Let's say I am paranoid that the Bolshewoke Revolution happens, and they come for my assets, and/or degeneration of society continues to the point we have hyper-inflation, etc. Clearly, I don't want to be lugging around gold and silver coins in my backpack. How do I go about acquiring BTC? How safe is the BTC from hacking/theft? How safe is it from the POV of being seized by the "government" or by Google? If I were to have to make a run for it to ... Belorussia, how easy would it be to "safeguard" my assets in BTC? I can see the value in terms of a hedge against hyper-inflation, but is it a hedge against chaos? You still need a functional internet and a functional economy at a minimum, right?
Not coming from a point of criticism, but actually want to see a reason to buy some BTC. I have watched Lex Fridman interview Buterin, Pompliano, Carter, Maceli, so I am not completely ignorant, but I do not feel that I have adequate answers to the questions I asked in the first paragraph....

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum