Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2022, 01:55 PM   #3201
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

My Mercedes isn't black. It's much lamer than that. I believe it was referred to as Buick Beige or something on here once?

Now I'm back to not wanting to use my polisher, though. By hand I know I can do a good job. I literally "polished" the paint right off a chunk of my bumper on my Sienna, so I definitely don't have the right touch with it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 02:00 PM   #3202
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Is this your black Mercedes? Not to be that guy, but actually correcting paint is hard enough, black is next level challenging. I say actually because it’s reasonably easy to hide and fill the swirls, as lots of products contain plenty of fillers just for the purpose. Just be prepared to want to rip your hair out chasing swirls and halos. Taking a machine to your black luxury car is not something to be taken lightly.
I have a Sportwagen that is black. I clay barred, polished and waxed it a few months ago and got a super sweet finish considering I think this car lived outside the first four years of its life.

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 02:16 PM   #3203
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Buick Beige

Toyota Taupe, perhaps?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 02:29 PM   #3204
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old man champagne
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 02:35 PM   #3205
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 05-11-2022, 02:42 PM   #3206
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Even looks exactly like me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 02:45 PM   #3207
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 05-12-2022, 08:43 AM   #3208
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

anyone in Deep SW have a hydraulic press? need to replace wheel bearing in kids 2001 civic. going to pick and pull to get a whole spindle so I can replace bearing then do her car in one shot.

Not sure if i'll be successful hammering out the bearing, Maybe I can use hydraulic jack to press it out if it's braced on something?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:18 PM   #3209
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Okay, just finished ceramic coating my car with the cquartz uk stuff zamler recommended. Took about five hours including prep. Wow, that's a big undertaking. Whatever they charge at a shop for that is not enough. I don't know if I'd do it again.

Just washing the car at a wand wash was $28 because I did such a thorough job. I have an attachment for my drill I use along with wheel cleaner, but I did that at the car wash so probably wasted like $5 using that and no car wash resources. It was important to get the wheels perfect, though, because I did ceramic coat them, too.

In my garage I clay barred, then polished by hand (chickened out on using my power polisher), then did the ceramic coat. Last thing was some final spray and buff to seal in the ceramic coat or something? Not exactly sure what that was but in the ceramic coat kit it said to use it so I did.

Gotta say, this better be worth it because it's way more work than my typical annual wax. I took a before and after shot in my garage and they look virtually the same, probably owing to the really good wash I gave it before starting. I guess the real benefit is in staying cleaner longer between washes. Once the coating cures, I'll take it outside and hopefully get some better pics that will show off the work that went into it.

I also picked up some tire shine gel and application sponge from carzilla. That stuff is way better than anything else I've ever had. Also did my glass with RainX. Summer floor mats are back in, too.

If it snows again, you guys know who to blame.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:34 PM   #3210
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if CQuartz has changed recently but I believe that you should have waited at least 24 hours to allow the ceramic coating to cure before applying anything on top of it.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:45 PM   #3211
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

In the instructions it said wait 60 minutes so I think I'm okay.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:27 PM   #3212
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You should wait 1 week before touching the paint with anything. Yes doing a full correction and coating is many hours of work, hard work.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:55 PM   #3213
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
anyone in Deep SW have a hydraulic press? need to replace wheel bearing in kids 2001 civic. going to pick and pull to get a whole spindle so I can replace bearing then do her car in one shot.

Not sure if i'll be successful hammering out the bearing, Maybe I can use hydraulic jack to press it out if it's braced on something?
Unfortunately I'm too far away to offer assistance, but before I got mine I would just swing by a shop and usually they would do it for $20 beer money.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 09:28 AM   #3214
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You should wait 1 week before touching the paint with anything. Yes doing a full correction and coating is many hours of work, hard work.
After about a decade of doing this to my cars, I pay shops to do it now. I will say a lot of the ceramic coatings available today are a lot easier to apply than the old days of Opti Coat Pro but it's the prep that's the back breaker for me.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #3215
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
After about a decade of doing this to my cars, I pay shops to do it now. I will say a lot of the ceramic coatings available today are a lot easier to apply than the old days of Opti Coat Pro but it's the prep that's the back breaker for me.
I don't blame you. I have all the tools and products to do it myself but won't do it again next time my cars are going to a shop.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:38 PM   #3216
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Lots of videos out on the new Z. I like it but I still want a Supra, especially now that they have a manual.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #3217
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

My views on the new Z are very conflicted. On the one hand from certain angles I look at it and think "damn, wow, that's a cool car that has done 'retro' styling right."

And then from other angles I think "Huh, that's pretty obviously just a reskinned 370Z, a car that was already pretty desperately long in the tooth..."
Old 05-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #3218
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The giant rectangle of a grille ruins that car.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM   #3219
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gimme the Z! I love the Supra too but I absolutely love the Z.

I can live with dated interiors as long as it feels and drives like a proper sports car should.
Old 05-16-2022, 10:21 PM   #3220
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The giant rectangle of a grille ruins that car.
Yeah, that was the one thing that really put me off the design. Everything else I didn't like was better once I saw it in these videos, but the grill is really not a high point of the design.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote