Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2022, 09:17 AM   #261
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was always a ruse, first to unload stock in TSLA near the top before an expected market decline, second to cynically seem like a MAGA champion so the cult buys his cars.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 09:39 AM   #262
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what Twitter banning Musk would do to his net worth if he couldn’t troll the investment world so easily.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:08 AM   #263
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Lol what a joke he is.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 12:14 PM   #264
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Was always a ruse, first to unload stock in TSLA near the top before an expected market decline, second to cynically seem like a MAGA champion so the cult buys his cars.

Kind of a weird ruse. Twitter isn't sending him all this information or freezing hiring on a "because he promised". There's a contract, they had to file it with the SEC. It's public if you're curious: https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.ne...3fc5e096e9.pdf

There are conditions that can cancel the contract, but "syke, nevermind!" isn't one of them.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #265
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post
Kind of a weird ruse. Twitter isn't sending him all this information or freezing hiring on a "because he promised". There's a contract, they had to file it with the SEC. It's public if you're curious: https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.ne...3fc5e096e9.pdf

There are conditions that can cancel the contract, but "syke, nevermind!" isn't one of them.
I wouldn't say "ruse", but I think it fair to question Musk's intention throughout this episode. Is it about free speech? Quick buck? Slow buck? At the end, it doesn't really matter as it is (mostly) his money, but he does need to follow the rules (which he hasn't when it comes to disclosures and the SEC) and one would hope he is taking this seriously, but for him the $1B break-up free maybe isn't a big deal.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:26 PM   #266
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Frankly I don't think he had any intention than wanting to flex a bit (combined with some ego believing that if HE was in control Twitter would work so much better), and now suffering from buyer's remorse.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2022, 12:33 PM   #267
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMan View Post

If Musk is willing to pay the $1B termination fee, what conditions are there? There are lots of conditions if he wants to get out without paying that, but as far as I can tell, he can just opt not to close the deal and the only penalty is the $1B (and perhaps the SEC would go after him if they had evidence that this was all a plan).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:40 PM   #268
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
If Musk is willing to pay the $1B termination fee, what conditions are there? There are lots of conditions if he wants to get out without paying that, but as far as I can tell, he can just opt not to close the deal and the only penalty is the $1B (and perhaps the SEC would go after him if they had evidence that this was all a plan).
The other penalty is a bit less direct, but it's gotta be a major hit to his credibility. He lined up a bunch of investors and banks in the first few days to fund this. Would you trust him next go around? Plus the public is souring on him a bit, and Tesla investors clearly didn't like it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #269
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The other penalty is a bit less direct, but it's gotta be a major hit to his credibility. He lined up a bunch of investors and banks in the first few days to fund this. Would you trust him next go around? Plus the public is souring on him a bit, and Tesla investors clearly didn't like it.
Ah.. he's mega rich. They'll all get over it in no time.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 03:08 PM   #270
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:50 AM   #271
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine by the end of the month it is officially over.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1526465624326782976
Old 05-17-2022, 07:39 AM   #272
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for excuses to reduce the acquisition cost or get out of the deal. As said above this was an ego flex and now he's getting cold feet. Apparently even for rich men like Elon it's not easy to get out of signed agreements so this could get interesting.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 07:49 AM   #273
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here come the lawsuits. I imagine Twitter will ask for more than $1b and Musk is trying to show the filings on spam accounts were invalid so he can get out scot free.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:04 AM   #274
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Musk is the PT Barnum of capitalism. Not my dig, but I think it works.

He's such a fraud.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #275
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I don’t like Musk, he’s screwing over a lot of the guys who play dirty games behind the scenes. I’ve got no skin in this game (Twitter or Tesla) so from an outsider standpoint I do kinda laugh. Time and time again we’re shown that the big guys always come out on top, and that the market can be manipulated. This is just another point to drive that home.

I’m still bitter about cbdt being pumped on here.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:55 AM   #276
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if everything was true.

He's playing the market.
His ego is making decisions.
20% + of Twitter accounts are pure spam that are being used to manipulate almost everything.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 09:56 AM   #277
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
As much as I don’t like Musk, he’s screwing over a lot of the guys who play dirty games behind the scenes. I’ve got no skin in this game (Twitter or Tesla) so from an outsider standpoint I do kinda laugh. Time and time again we’re shown that the big guys always come out on top, and that the market can be manipulated. This is just another point to drive that home.

I’m still bitter about cbdt being pumped on here.
How is Musk winning in this? He's just got buyer's remorse and trying to get out of the deal without paying the $1b breakup fee.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:11 AM   #278
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This all feels like a big ruse by Elon to lay a big smackdown on Twitter, seems like a simple plan in retrospect:

1. Offer to buy Twitter, initiating a stock bump that will obligate them to sell.
2. As part of deal, perform audit on twitter, forcing them to publically air all their dirty laundry.
3. Profit??? Tough to guess his end goal, I'd say he saw Twitters constant expansion and bias of their censorship programs would eventually create conflict with him and his plans.

It's getting hard to think that he was that serious about buying twitter. Twitter's bias and number inflating are poorly kept secrets and I doubt Elon is overly surprised by anything being revealed. I did hear that he'd take on $1B penalty for backing out, but I can't say how it'd actually play out. Maybe smacking down Twitter is worth $1B to him?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:13 AM   #279
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Wait, wasn't one of the reasons Musk stated he was buying it, was to get rid of the spam accounts? So he's finding out there's a lot of them and now doesn't want it?
Old 05-17-2022, 10:15 AM   #280
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

"My offer was based on Twitter’s SEC filings being accurate."

Is the text of the deal available?