Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #221
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I do not get the parasite argument one bit. It's almost like these parasites are from another country. They drive into Calgary to help support the Calgary and alberta economy. It just so happens that Calgary got all the offices that run a big chunk of this provinces economy. If imperial oil, suncor and shell moved all their offices to airdrie then we would be the parasites.

If you work in Calgary does that mean you have to live here? I don't get it.

I live in Calgary and don't use the library, cycle track, buses or the lrt and still pay for it. The madness.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #222
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It's a pretty basic point.

People commute from the parasite towns into Calgary, requiring us to build bigger roads and overpasses etc... and they don't pay for it.

Basically we're stuck covering their costs. 100,000+ people commuting in from outside of the city on a daily basis takes a toll (hah)
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 AM   #223
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
It's a pretty basic point.

People commute from the parasite towns into Calgary, requiring us to build bigger roads and overpasses etc... and they don't pay for it.

Basically we're stuck covering their costs. 100,000+ people commuting in from outside of the city on a daily basis takes a toll (hah)
Bunk might be able to speak to this, but what is the breakdown of costs between the City and the Province on road/infrastructure projects. I seem to recall that there is usually signage and the split seems to lean more towards the Province taking on the lion's share. For example, does the City put money into the upkeep of Deerfoot? I thought that was under the Province?

Actually let's look at the latest and greatest road in Calgary: The Ring Road.

What was the cost split on this project?

Who maintains this roadway?

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 08-18-2015 at 09:57 AM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #224
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

A toll road would be a fine idea.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #225
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I read recently how population was estimated in Sandpoint Idaho, by water usage rather than census.

The article suggested each citizen uses something like 75 Gallons of water per day, consistently. In other places, 100 Gallons per day? Seems like a lot of water.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #226
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I read recently how population was estimated in Sandpoint Idaho, by water usage rather than census.

The article suggested each citizen uses something like 75 Gallons of water per day, consistently. In other places, 100 Gallons per day? Seems like a lot of water.

maybe they are full or ####.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:13 AM   #227
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

What? Doesn't seem reliable considering how much your water usage could vary depending on lawn size, family type, activity, bottled water consumption...

My parents pretty much exclusively drink bottled water, their usage would probably be quite different than a similar family who drank tap.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:32 AM   #228
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how that's relevant. Averages are meant to include all of that.

I can tell you that in Edmonton the average household consumes about 16 cubes per month, which I guess works out to over 100 gallons per day.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #229
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post

I can tell you that in Edmonton the average household consumes about 16 cubes per month, which I guess works out to over 100 gallons per day.
Well shouldn't a census not be based on guesstimates? If you're trying to count every person, using averages seems like a poor way of doing it.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #230
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post

Really? 100 Gallons?

I dont really pay much attention to the amount of water we use but that seems like a lot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #231
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Well shouldn't a census not be based on guesstimates? If you're trying to count every person, using averages seems like a poor way of doing it.
Works for me. I never bother to count the number of kids I have. I just look at the increase in my grocery bills. My figuring says I'm up to a half-dozen or so.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary , population