Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2023, 12:34 PM   #21
kobasew19
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any truth of these rumors of 3rd OA to Raptors for Siakam?
kobasew19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:21 PM   #22
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poole and future FRP to the Wizards for Chris Paul. Solves some of the money issues the Warriors created for themselves by extending Poole, while giving them a really interesting team this year.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:29 PM   #23
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobasew19 View Post
Any truth of these rumors of 3rd OA to Raptors for Siakam?
I think they've definitely had discussions. But I think an actual move is unlikely: Portland needs to add filler to make the salaries work, which would almost need to be Little and Simons. That starts to leave them pretty thin. Siakam overlaps Grant's best position, although Siakam at PF and Grant at SF is workable. Siakam will be looking for a max contract next year, and may not sign an extension... especially when he can essentially block the trade by not agreeing to an extension. I don't think the Raptors really value Simon's player archetype, the microwave scorer with awful defense. The Raptors may also be interested in only one of Scoot/Miller and not make a deal unless the guy they like is on the board (this happened with Portland last year where supposedly there was a deal for Anunoby worked out if the guy the Raptors wanted (Mathurin) fell to 7... Pacers took Mathurin at 6 and so the Raptors kept OG.

I think if you can maybe find a third team who loves Simons and will give Raptors another prospect-level asset and Portland gets another rotation player, it makes more sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 01:42 PM   #24
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Poole will be in his glory chucking shots and padding meaningless stats to his hearts content. If Paul can be healthy for the playoffs he'll add a big dimension to their game that they were lacking this playoffs. Interested to see if that ends up being a good fit.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:28 PM   #25
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Orlando picking Jett Howard?! I'm a huge Michigan fan, but genuinely surprised... thought Gradey Dick would have made more sense as a 'shooter'.

Hoping Toronto lands Bufkin now
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:31 PM   #26
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raptors get Dick. What an awful suit though!
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 07:47 PM   #27
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i am a bit surprised, considering how weak TO is a guard... Dick is a heck of a shooter and Howard going earlier than expected to Orlando caused Dick to drop a bit further...I think Dick is more of a 3 in the NBA

i guess we'll see, but a little surprising
Old 06-22-2023, 07:50 PM   #28
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the thought on him? What were you surprised about? And who would you have chosen? I know nothing of these guys.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:05 PM   #29
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
What's the thought on him? What were you surprised about? And who would you have chosen? I know nothing of these guys.
well, he's a heck of a shooter, so that's not an issue.

I think with FVV turning down the option on his contract and Trent also finishing out with the Raptors, they don't have a point guard.

seems like a PG or combo guard would have been a better use of the pick. That said, Dick was projected anywhere from 8-15, so its not like the value isn't there...but just thought need would have been more important than BPA.

Like the player, just uncertain about the holes on the roster (though they have addressed their 3 point shooting)

I was hoping for Black, Wallace, Bufkin, Hood Schifino, Hawkins (not in that order)... but just arm chair scouting: we'll see on the court.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 06-22-2023 at 08:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 08:17 PM   #30
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair. I like their approach from their scout who said they'd take the best player available no matter who they have. I'm sure they'll do a deal to get a half-assed PG. Frankly I'm a bit annoyed they haven't gone the rebuild mode by dealing Siakam and/or OG. Specifically if Siakam floated the idea of not wanting to sign with others, that's an annoying move. Great he wants to stay with the Raps but it really gets on my nerves if it was available and he essentially blocked it. Masai simply can't go into next year with the same core. Fred leaving is great. Should have happened two years ago. GTJ, inconsistent but I'm sure they'll bring him back. They're going nowhere, why not deal OG or Siakam. Now it's a bit annoying Masai.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:42 PM   #31
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I like the pick for the name alone
Old 06-22-2023, 08:53 PM   #32
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really like the pick. I remember watching his scouting videos a few days before the Raptors picked Darko, and when they did pick him and I started to watch videos about his offensive philosophy, I though Dick would be a perfect fit. And then there was an interview with Webster a couple days later, and Webster said they would likely take a Raptors-type player, and I figured that meant Dick was a non-starter. Then like a couple days later there was news that Dick was working out for the Raptors.

I think he's the perfect sort of offensive player to play off of either Barnes or Siakam, with all that movement off of screens and cutting, as well as spacing. Defense is a huge questionmark though, and if we still had Nurse, I'd be worried about him getting any playing time.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:58 PM   #33
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair. I like their approach from their scout who said they'd take the best player available no matter who they have. I'm sure they'll do a deal to get a half-assed PG. Frankly I'm a bit annoyed they haven't gone the rebuild mode by dealing Siakam and/or OG. Specifically if Siakam floated the idea of not wanting to sign with others, that's an annoying move. Great he wants to stay with the Raps but it really gets on my nerves if it was available and he essentially blocked it. Masai simply can't go into next year with the same core. Fred leaving is great. Should have happened two years ago. GTJ, inconsistent but I'm sure they'll bring him back. They're going nowhere, why not deal OG or Siakam. Now it's a bit annoying Masai.
yeah, he was probably BPA...so he's a weapon they need.

lots of rumors about possibly trading Pascal and OG, but with them standing pat at the draft makes me think they might want to try to see how the season goes before making that decision prior to the trade deadline.

seemed like they could have drafted Bufkin or Hawkins and then traded for a guy like Duncan Robbinson to add shooting...all fun speculation in the off season...

Lots of questions and the window feels closed to me, so I was also hoping for a rebuild...still might happen, but we'll see.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #34
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like they were exploring all options until the pick though. They waited until the end to make the pick so it wasn't a slam dunk or anything. I tend to trust their drafting and their homework so I'm fine with it with limited expectations to begin. Without knowing the guy he does seem a bit undersized making me wonder no matter how good his shot is, if he'll have the time to make that shot in the NBA, or get high enough to not be blocked. Anyway, too early for any of that.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:41 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Raptors get Dick. What an awful suit though!
Not for an ABBA tribute band.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 08:20 AM   #36
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally a Dick pick that everyone can enjoy. Anthony Weiner is stoked.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:38 PM   #37
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge news for team Canada: Nick Nurse out as head coach, Jordi Fernandez in. Not really surprising that Nurse wasn't interested in sticking with the program after leaving the Raptors, especially with getting acclimatized to a new NBA team this summer... that was going to have to be where his piorities are.

What is surprising is getting a head coach as good as Fernandez, who's both familar to NBA players based on his great reputation as an assistant coach with the Nuggets and Kings, but also an excellent international coach, formerly Scariolo's second-in-command on the Spanish national team. I wouldn't necessarily say that Nurse to Fernandez is an upgrade... but it's far less of a downgrade than losing Nurse would normally be.

Last edited by octothorp; 06-28-2023 at 09:08 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 02:09 PM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

See I want to see this primarily to see a team trying to win 175-170 every single night. Would likely be the best offensive team ever, and the worst defensive team ever, so it'd be fun if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1674458898814865408
Old 06-29-2023, 04:26 PM   #39
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harden is opting into his contract with the intension of negotiating a trade, it sounds like.

That's less likely to be Houston than elsewhere (because Houston can sign outright), which means Houston is probably full-steam ahead on FVV right now. Feels like less than 50% chance he's back with Toronto, for better or worse. (There would have been a point that it made sense to keep him, but at a rumoured 30% cap hit, that's definitely not it.)
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2023, 04:42 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Houston wasn’t willing to offer Harden a max deal so that option off the table.. As a Rockets fan I’m thankful the new coach seemingly had a say.

Rumor is they’re talking about offering FVV $83 million over 2 years. Does a two year deal get it done though?
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote