Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #161
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post

Goddamit. Run out of thanks right as someone posts this masterpiece.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #162
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as we are going to blame just the Sens games if the Flames don't make it the Sens have won 4 of 7 vs. Montreal too.

Flames could have easily picked up another 5+ wins so far, so many blown leads close losses
Old 04-14-2021, 09:17 PM   #163
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
As much as we are going to blame just the Sens games if the Flames don't make it the Sens have won 4 of 7 vs. Montreal too.

Flames could have easily picked up another 5+ wins so far, so many blown leads close losses
A few of those stupid Edmonton games come immediately to mind. Hopefully, the Flames have shaken-off that monkey.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #164
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Someone on radio mentioned the failure to score an ENG against the Leafs one game - they score and win in OT. That’s a lost win. There’s a bunch of similar ones.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:27 PM   #165
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Someone on radio mentioned the failure to score an ENG against the Leafs one game - they score and win in OT. That’s a lost win. There’s a bunch of similar ones.
Tonight was trending that way, but instead of a good effort lost by some bad bounce, they found the next gear and put the Habs away. They didn't have that same year or killer instinct under Ward.

That said, even though it seems so long ago now, but the mandated 5 day break they had after being on a roll to start the year, took a lot of wind out of their sails and lost 3 in a row after starting off winning 3 in a row.

Had the Flames played 2 games that next week instead of a break, and continued that roll and then had the break the next week, even if the rest of the season played out as it has, that would have them ahead of MTL right now.

Lots of what ifs but if they keep playing this way and rolling 4 lines most of the game, they'll have a good chance these next 10 - 14 days, which will make or break the season.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:36 PM   #166
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDuNZyYAIQ

Everyone out here trying to figure out the Flames' playoff math, when the formula's been right there in front of our faces the whole time...

(I tried to embed, but it never works for me...)
Wow...It really makes sense that 110% thanked you for your post. I was going to thank you, but it looks better the way it is
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #167
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
Wow...It really makes sense that 110% thanked you for your post. I was going to thank you, but it looks better the way it is
Yes, I completely agree! The perfect scenario!

(Wish there was a way to "thank" a "thank" )
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #168
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Game Takes: Flames 3 Habs 1

- Flames play a complete 60
- Markstrom not busy again but solid (three goals in three games)
- Fourth line finding chemistry
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #169
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This rapid decline of Gio still has him plying well and pacing for 42pts over 82 games.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #170
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This rapid decline of Gio still has him plying well and pacing for 42pts over 82 games.
Guys a warrior to the end.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:55 PM   #171
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Leivo will end up signing with the Canadiens next year.

I still don't think the Flames will make it. Even if they sweep the Habs, I don't trust the Oilers to play the Habs hard to allow the Flames to make it. Plus the Leafs will probably be resting players by that time as well.

However, I want the team to keep playing well and pushing for wins, develop those winning habits and winning culture. Even if they don't make it this year, I want them use to Sutter hockey so they are ready to go next season. It's not all about this year, it's about the next two years as well.

As for the higher draft pick, in this year without a franchise player at the top, it really doesn't matter where you finish in the lottery. You are just as likely to draft a star in the 15 spot as you are in the 1 spot.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #172
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around the League Report

Spoiler!
-TC-, 1_Flames_Fan, 420since1974, 442scotty, 81MC, ah123, AustinL_NHL, bc-chris, bdubbs, BeltlineFan, BigFlameDog, BlAcKNoVa, bob-loblaw, BornBredRed, Burning Beard, bzoo02, calgarybornnraised, Cali Panthers Fan, Captain Hair, CF84, Cheese, CKPThunder, CofR, CroFlames, csnarpy, D as in David, Demaeon, DigitalCarpenter, dino7c, Dion, drewtastic, Erick Estrada, FacePaint, FlamesAreOne, flamesgod, FLAMESRULE, FlatLandFlamesFan, foofighter15, foshizzle11, Freddy, getbak, GioforPM, Glassplat, GoFlamesGo, GoFlamesGo89, HitterD, HockeyKhan, Hoop27, Huntingwhale, IamNotKenKing, indes, Inferno099, Infinit47, Insufficient Funds, Jetfire, jg13, JohnnyBeGood, KevinKlineReadingABook, KipperRules, klikitiklik, Lanny'sDaMan, Large11, mac_82, Mass_nerder, Mattman, midniteowl, minnow, Movechkin, MrMike, N-E-B, Pellanor, Plett Me Tell You, Press Level, psyang, puckedoff, Puppet Guy, Radio, redflamesfan08, Reign of Fire, roberts10, robertsfanatic, Rubber Ducky, Savvy27, Sgrath, shadowlord, Slacker, SnipeShow, Snuffleupagus, StAlbertFlame, Tacoman, taxbuster, terryclancy, Textcritic, the2bears, TheIronMaiden, topfiverecords, tvp2003, WhiteTiger, Yobbo, Young Guns, Yrebmi
Old 04-14-2021, 10:05 PM   #173
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think Leivo will end up signing with the Canadiens next year.

I still don't think the Flames will make it. Even if they sweep the Habs, I don't trust the Oilers to play the Habs hard to allow the Flames to make it. Plus the Leafs will probably be resting players by that time as well.

However, I want the team to keep playing well and pushing for wins, develop those winning habits and winning culture. Even if they don't make it this year, I want them use to Sutter hockey so they are ready to go next season. It's not all about this year, it's about the next two years as well.

As for the higher draft pick, in this year without a franchise player at the top, it really doesn't matter where you finish in the lottery. You are just as likely to draft a star in the 15 spot as you are in the 1 spot.
If the Oilers throw all the games against the Habs, they risk playing the Leafs in the first round or missing the playoffs entirely. Not sure they want to risk it just to spite the Flames.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #174
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
Hopefully you understand why your anti-Sutter posts annoyed me, as well as the attempt to use a bad 7-game stretch to paint him in the worst possible light while ignoring his 2 (almost 3) Stanley Cups. Also your posts got quite a number of thanks, so I was worried about how prevalent that kind of "reasoning" was among the fanbase.

But let's move on from this silliness and focus on positives now. Yay Flames!
It is against my better judgment to continue this but are you not the same poster who was annoyed by "told ya so" posts about Gio in the game thread?

These "told ya so" comments are getting rather silly... there's more to being a $6.75m defenseman than having a nice shot from the point and good stick work.

Yup you were.

Frankly I find any told ya so posts annoying but if you are going to dish them out, you have to be willing to take them too.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #175
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
If the Oilers throw all the games against the Habs, they risk playing the Leafs in the first round or missing the playoffs entirely. Not sure they want to risk it just to spite the Flames.
It's also bad karma to do stuff like that, but I have the worst opinion of that franchise and City so I'm expecting it. Edmonton is no good.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 PM   #176
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Is the MTL media crying about “boring” Sutter hockey?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:22 PM   #177
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Spoiler!
Not all told ya so posts are equal.

There's nothing wrong with a told ya so post, as long as the reasoning behind it is sound and the facts behind it are correct. In the case of Gio, people were trying to use his offensive production as a counter point to my argument that he hasn't been playing well enough this year, on the whole, to either thrust his team into a playoffs spot or justify his cap hit. Does he lead the team's defensemen in points? Yes, he does. But he's currently 31st in the NHL among defensemen in points, and his GA/60 this year leaves quite a bit to be desired.

So was his goal today some kind of "told ya so". No, it isn't. Neither are his career numbers - they're an indication of the player he was, not the player he is.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:26 PM   #178
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

How does one even...

Quote:
Tonight's game is a back to back for the Flames. Loose this one and it won't feel good. Habs need to show up cause the Flames are going to play loose for the rest of the year
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 10:32 PM   #179
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the ATL salty tears section...

“The Habs stink worse than the streets of Paris.” says the person standing on the corner of Jasper Avenue and 100 street.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:33 PM   #180
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not all told ya so posts are equal.

There's nothing wrong with a told ya so post, as long as the reasoning behind it is sound and the facts behind it are correct. In the case of Gio, people were trying to use his offensive production as a counter point to my argument that he hasn't been playing well enough this year, on the whole, to either thrust his team into a playoffs spot or justify his cap hit. Does he lead the team's defensemen in points? Yes, he does. But he's currently 31st in the NHL among defensemen in points, and his GA/60 this year leaves quite a bit to be desired.

So was his goal today some kind of "told ya so". No, it isn't. Neither are his career numbers - they're an indication of the player he was, not the player he is.
Ah so you are the great judger of what is a valid "told ya so" post?
In my view the situations are very similar. People prematurely writing off someone. Sutter or Gio.
Gio hasn't played well this year but
- He's played much better of late
- He's still one of the Flames top 4 dmen

He's also a guy I would not write off. Not a guy who had to go all the way to Russia to show what he could do. Not the guy that went undrafted and would go on to win the Norris trophy. Nope not him.

Moreover, I could pull dozens and dozens of posts from this season that range from be an exaggeration of his bad play to down right disrespectful given what he's done for this franchise. Stuff like he should be scratched, have the C stripped, or that him continuing to play is a sign of the lack of accountability.

So yeah maybe some of the people that said he was "done" deserve a little bit of TYS.

I just find it hypocritical that you would blast folks about Gio in the GT then go back and pull a random post from a frustrated poster after a bad game about Sutter - because of a modest 3 game winning streak.

Dish it. Take it.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: