Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #5181
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
No one is marginalizing anyone. Stop making #### up. #######.
This from the guy who blames black victims in every incident then complains when the cops aren't charged when a white guy is killed by them

Old 09-28-2020, 02:12 PM   #5182
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if this on purpose, because you're a shrewd online agitator, but I take VERY little beef with someone calling me an #######. It's calling me a racist that is pissing me off. I don't care if he calls me an #######, if CP wants this place to be a foxnews comments section, so be it. But I won't stand for an internet troll to levy accusations of racism at me without an answer. #### him and his accusations of racism.
Maybe you should ask yourself why you are being called a racist, because guess what, it's not a term I use for just anyone, contrary to what you might believe.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #5183
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
On the actual topic though, you weren't called racist, but have you actually reflected on what you said at all? You said "one poster is just allowed to come in and call other people racist pieces of #### because he doesn't like what they've said." Is that a fair comment to make?
Yes, after reflection, it clearly is.
Quote:
Do you really think it's just because he didn't like what he said?
Yes - although not in this one particular instance alone. I've no doubt it was a culmination of a series of tone-deaf or superficial posts White Out has made in here.

The rationale, however, does not actually matter very much, in my view, because there are supposed to be norms here, in the form of moderated rules. There are certain posters on this forum that I certainly don't personally like, and I feel that I have very good reason for disliking them. I cannot call them ignorant ####ing pieces of ####, much as that might be cathartic to do. If the rules only apply to some people, then they're meaningless rules.
Quote:
Again, part of the statement was needless, and I know you are with a couple other people in thinking that "racist" is a bad word and should be reserved for only the most obvious of occasions.
And it clearly is. It's a horrible thing to be called and it's a horrible thing to call someone. Particularly someone you've never met. The analogy has been previously made, but if you called another poster a sexual predator because you think their attitudes toward women justify that label, that would not simply be accepted unless they had effectively admitted to it.
Quote:
But at a certain point, what are you actually defending when you brush off any claim of racism because it doesn't fit your notion of what racism looks like to you, a well-off white person, and go around criticising anyone who uses the word?
I criticize people who weaponize the word because of its power as a morally repugnant state of being. As for what I'm "actually defending", well, it's the ability to have a conversation without the conversation devolving into what's happening in this thread right now. The current state of the thread actually acts as a case in point as to why I objected to his post.
Quote:
There are times to be a champion of decorum, politeness, and all that.
And those times are, "whenever there is a conversation going on".
Quote:
When do you make the time to just stop and listen, instead of inerjecting, and ask "is this person, who has actually experienced racism unlike myself, seeing something I am missing."
I certainly would be prepared to afford that sort of consideration to someone who is expressing their perspective. I am not likely to, and don't think I should be expected to, when someone is simply throwing a temper tantrum and yelling and swearing. This is not behaviour to be encouraged or tolerated. That would simply induce further behaviour of this type.
Quote:
You can still disagree with the approach, but you dismissed Crown's position outright because of the approach. Is that any more fair than what he said about you?
First of all, I didn't dismiss his position because of his approach. I have read all of White Out's posts in here and have fairly straightforwardly disagreed with him on a number of occasions. I have formed my own opinion about him as a result, which I don't need to re-litigate. My response to Crown Royal had nothing to do with his position, it only had to do with his approach. Now, when your approach is that toxic, yes, it's reasonable to expect that no one's going to give a crap about it.

Put another way, when you first responded, you asked White Out 403 to look at the tone of his post and think to himself, "what did you think was going to be the response when you post something that provocative"? You could have asked exactly the same question of Crown Royal. Maybe some self-reflection on your part is appropriate: why didn't you? Why not apply that same reasoning to the guy coming in and calling people explicitly, or tacitly, racist?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-28-2020, 02:15 PM   #5184
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No Pepsi, I use judgement.

If we’re at a peaceful BLM rally and some jag off starts shouting “kill all ######s”, then CR can have at ‘er. That’s an easy interpretation for us all to make.

When we’re online, and no one can even see each other’s skin colour, and WO403 posts a controversial opinion but does not appear to say or even imply anything overtly racist*, then you’re goddamn right I’m going to blame the guy who freaked out, regardless of the colour of his skin (which I can’t even see).

It’s a witch hunt. It’s an excuse to treat another person like #### because you are projecting an imaginary bogey man into their place.

* at least based on CR’s insane over the top replies, I won’t pretend to be following WO’s moves and motivations in this thread with any detail. in fact that goes for everyone ITT. I hope I’m not making those kinds of leaps in logic and instead actually read the content and then reply. Not fill in gaps based on some perceived agenda the poster has outside CP. Like we all have nothing better to do than perfectly time our posts to maximize the effect on CR’s life.
Racism goes far beyond racial slurs. Victim blaming and denying the existence of a problem are just less aggressive forms of racism. Just like defending racist behavior is racism and a person doesn't have to be racist to do racist things. But when it becomes a pattern and they constantly do it, it comes clear that is actually what they are.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #5185
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
This from the guy who blames black victims in every incident then complains when the cops aren't charged when a white guy is killed by them
Where did I say this is Breonna Taylors fault? I in fact said specifically, no one singular person can be blamed here. She shares some responsibility for her home being a trap house and dating a drug dealer... but only a small portion. Poor police training that led to the shooting played a role, no doubt. Had they done a better job executing the warrant maybe this could have been avoided. The war on drugs is also a scourge on American society. But from my first post, I stand by the fact this was tragedy that is complicated. There's no easy answers here, and if that makes me racist in your eyes, so be it. I don't care.

Quote:
Maybe you should ask yourself why you are being called a racist, because guess what, it's not a term I use for just anyone, contrary to what you might believe.
I don't care. I really don't. You are an unserious person who thinks the word racist can be used as a blunt hammer to win debates.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #5186
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or maybe tragedies can happen when your loser ex BF who you still mingle with uses your home as a drug house? the police were exercising a warrant because she was involved in this piece of garbage's drug ring. why does every ####ty thing have to be proof of systemic racism?
This post, which was in response to Colin Kaepernick's claim that it was white supremacist police that stole Breonna Taylor's life, seems to be the source of the spat between CR and WO403 as it prompted the following response:

Quote:
Wow, you aren't even trying to hide that you are a racist piece of garbage any more. Don't get me wrong, we all already knew, but this is a new low even for you.
While I will concede that I don't know the history between these two, but this hardly seems like reasonable grounds for calling someone else racist. I am opening to self-reflection, but someone is going to have to help me out here on what exactly the great sin WO403 committed.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #5187
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Are you saying "defender of racism" and "racist" are two distinct groups? I'd lump them together and I think that's a weird semantics argument to make. Or did you just miss the post where he did claim the Corsi was defending racism?
A person can do racist things without actually being a racist, often it is just ignorance. I do not think Corsi is a racist, but I think what he is doing in defending White Out is a racist action and he is too ignorant to the topic to see that.

Also I want to point out the double standard, because White Out called Acey a racist for calling out Candace Owens as being a race traitor.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #5188
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Are you saying "defender of racism" and "racist" are two distinct groups? I'd lump them together and I think that's a weird semantics argument to make. Or did you just miss the post where he did claim the Corsi was defending racism?
Yeah, I took it as him accusing Corsi of defending racism in the sense of defending it's right to be heard, not defending the validity of the idea. So that's separate to me. If that isn't what Crown meant and he was accusing Corsi of defending racism as a concept or belief, then I'm wrong and I wouldn't think that's fair at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No Pepsi, I use judgement.

If we’re at a peaceful BLM rally and some jag off starts shouting “kill all ######s”, then CR can have at ‘er. That’s an easy interpretation for us all to make.

When we’re online, and no one can even see each other’s skin colour, and WO403 posts a controversial opinion but does not appear to say or even imply anything overtly racist, then you’re goddamn right I’m going to blame the guy who freaked out, regardless of the colour of his skin (which I can’t even see).

It’s a witch hunt. It’s an excuse to treat another person like #### because you are projecting an imaginary bogey man into their place.
On one hand, you're basing this off a couple pages, right? This isn't the first post like this WO has made. This is a sum of all parts. I can see the frustration because there is a consistently dismissive tone to these discussions from him. "It's not racism, it's not evidence of systemic racism, this guy was a rapist, that guy was high" etc etc. It's the consistency. That said, just a few years ago WO made some islamophobic comments, and he's recently had a turnaround on that position, so I have to give credit. I think he has a more open mind than people give credit for. And having apologised to WO myself, I don't think he's a bad guy, I don't think he's a racist. Maybe there's just a level of ignorance there about the issues. But I can see why someone feels the way they do about his posts sometimes. It's hard to judge intent, and I suppose if you've been subjected to racism throughout your life, you probably recognize traits in things other don't.

You're saying you use judgement, so do I, but you're also saying "this most obvious example is fair and an acceptable time to use the word racist." Who says Crown isn't using the same judgement you or I use and life experience doesn't make the interpretation come out different?

I agree this is about more than calling someone racist. But I don't see a lot of effort in parting out the issues and dealing with them reasonably. Most people seem to be taking an all or nothing approach, and how is that better or more helpful?
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #5189
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
This post, which was in response to Colin Kaepernick's claim that it was white supremacist police that stole Breonna Taylor's life, seems to be the source of the spat between CR and WO403 as it prompted the following response:

While I will concede that I don't know the history between these two, but this hardly seems like reasonable grounds for calling someone else racist. I am opening to self-reflection, but someone is going to have to help me out here on what exactly the great sin WO403 committed.
Look at his 100+ posts in this thread. My reaction was not the result of 1 post, it's been dozens and dozens of posts of ignorance. Including him calling a black poster racist for calling out Candace Owens.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #5190
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you need to keep in mind that there's a natural bias in these discussions because we are talking about controversial cases. Saying anyone who disagrees with you is racist, and anyone who disagrees with that are defending racism, isn't justified.

In this case the officers, rightly or wrongly, had a legal right to enter the premise and they got shot at. This isn't a clear case of anything except how poorly thought out no-knock warrants are and how big a failure the war on drugs is.

Jacob Blake potentially had a knife and did have a restraining order and fought with police.

We aren't discussing Botham Jean, Ahmaud Arbery, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, and of course Tamir Rice because there's very little to discuss with those because pretty much every non-racist agrees about those tragedies.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #5191
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post

Emotions run high and I think saying "why does everything have to be about systematic racism??" turns into the same arguments as "it's a slippery slope, now my dog is racist!".
Old 09-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #5192
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I took it as him accusing Corsi of defending racism in the sense of defending it's right to be heard, not defending the validity of the idea. So that's separate to me. If that isn't what Crown meant and he was accusing Corsi of defending racism as a concept or belief, then I'm wrong and I wouldn't think that's fair at all.

On one hand, you're basing this off a couple pages, right? This isn't the first post like this WO has made. This is a sum of all parts. I can see the frustration because there is a consistently dismissive tone to these discussions from him. "It's not racism, it's not evidence of systemic racism, this guy was a rapist, that guy was high" etc etc. It's the consistency. That said, just a few years ago WO made some islamophobic comments, and he's recently had a turnaround on that position, so I have to give credit. I think he has a more open mind than people give credit for. And having apologised to WO myself, I don't think he's a bad guy, I don't think he's a racist. Maybe there's just a level of ignorance there about the issues. But I can see why someone feels the way they do about his posts sometimes. It's hard to judge intent, and I suppose if you've been subjected to racism throughout your life, you probably recognize traits in things other don't.

You're saying you use judgement, so do I, but you're also saying "this most obvious example is fair and an acceptable time to use the word racist." Who says Crown isn't using the same judgement you or I use and life experience doesn't make the interpretation come out different?

I agree this is about more than calling someone racist. But I don't see a lot of effort in parting out the issues and dealing with them reasonably. Most people seem to be taking an all or nothing approach, and how is that better or more helpful?
Funny thing is WO calls Acey, a known black poster a racist, and there is little outcry. But a known black poster calls someone a racist and there is several pages about how I am ruining the thread.

People want to see the problem? Look at that.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:27 PM   #5193
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Saying anyone who disagrees with you is racist, and anyone who disagrees with that are defending racism, isn't justified.
Except this hasn't ####ing happened.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:30 PM   #5194
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Where did I say this is Breonna Taylors fault? I in fact said specifically, no one singular person can be blamed here. She shares some responsibility for her home being a trap house and dating a drug dealer... but only a small portion. Poor police training that led to the shooting played a role, no doubt. Had they done a better job executing the warrant maybe this could have been avoided. The war on drugs is also a scourge on American society. But from my first post, I stand by the fact this was tragedy that is complicated. There's no easy answers here, and if that makes me racist in your eyes, so be it. I don't care.

I don't care. I really don't. You are an unserious person who thinks the word racist can be used as a blunt hammer to win debates.
Hmmm... I guess only a piece of #### like me would call someone racist, right?

Quote:
There's some real racism. And if you're not black? This should prob be a ban.
Quote:
Corsi had it right. You're accusing Owens of being a race traitor. It's really racist and nasty and you should be having a time out.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #5195
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I took it as him accusing Corsi of defending racism in the sense of defending it's right to be heard, not defending the validity of the idea.
I didn't even do this. I objected to someone calling another poster a piece of ####. If someone actually posts something that's explicitly racist in here - nakedly promoting hatred against a racial group - I don't have any problem at all if the mods want to ban them. Hell, I'll be the first to report that post. All I said was that you shouldn't be allowed to call a poster an "ignorant ####ing piece of ####" because of an objection to his posts.

As noted, I think there are a lot of ways a person can be a bad person. One of them is to be racist, but there are many others, and some of them apply to people here, based on what I've seen them post. But if I'm not allowed to my moral judgment of those posters as a basis to call them ignorant ####ing pieces of ####, neither should any other poster on here, regardless of his motivations for doing so.

... Of course apparently that's all moot now because that's no longer the rule.
Quote:
I do not think Corsi is a racist, but I think what he is doing in defending White Out is a racist action and he is too ignorant to the topic to see that.
Allow me to adopt the new standard implemented by Jiri on the prior page: My statement that you shouldn't be allowed to break the forum rules is in no way a racist action, and you're an ignorant ####ing piece of #### for implying that it is.

I now await the excellent results that I am assured will come of having directed that language at you.

... Aaaaany minute now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 09-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #5196
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

My head hurts.

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #5197
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lol, this thread is epic.

Sorry for the flippant drive by, but my goodness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #5198
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Allow me to adopt the new standard implemented by Jiri on the prior page: My statement that you shouldn't be allowed to break the forum rules is in no way a racist action, and you're an ignorant ####ing piece of #### for implying that it is.

I now await the excellent results that I am assured will come of having directed that language at you.

... Aaaaany minute now.
Just curious, why is it different for me to call someone a racist than your buddy White Out? You called out Acey for taking a shot at Candace Owens, which was followed by WO calling him a racist. Where was your out cry then?

You're welcome to call me a piece of #### of you want dude. Just don't defend people that are okay with cops murdering people as long as it's a ###### dying.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #5199
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Going back through the thread, I actually can't wait to see how Jiri will spin obvious rule breaking by claiming the people calling it out have some white fragility going on.

Despite the many obvious dumb takes in this thread, that has got to be about the dumbest one. And that is saying a lot considering the personal attacks going on.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #5200
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just curious, why is it different for me to call someone a racist than your buddy White Out? You called out Acey for taking a shot at Candace Owens, which was followed by WO calling him a racist. Where was your out cry then?
I don't think he likes me very much to be honest. Don't be unfair.
Closed Thread