Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #41
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
^^ would the same apply for kids' skis? Do those sales at Max-Bell generally have much selection of kids equipment?
If your kids are just starting out the skis tend not to make the biggest difference, just size them up a little shorter, typically just under chin height. The key thing with kids is make sure the boots are comfortable. If they don't like their boots they will hate sking. Typically you can take out the liner of the boots to see how they are actually fitting.

We are selling off our entire kids fleat this year as well. If you stop by Sports Rent this weekend you can see if you like what we have. Selling skis for $100 and boots for $25. Should be able to set up the average 5-10 year olds. After this weekend the gear will be packed up and sent off to the ski swap sale.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #42
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

After 25 years on a board, I'm giving it up for skis. Been on them a few times over the years, but never seriously.

I used to race x country and spent 10 years on DH skis before giving it up, so I'm not starting from scratch. Bought a sunshine pass, buying touring gear, so I'm actually excited this year.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #43
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got the Nakiska package in the mail with most of our lift passes, and noticed they sent along a brochure advertising season-long ski/snowboard rentals for kids under 10 yr/old for $149. Looks like a good deal.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #44
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

couple of questions about buying skiis as i am a first time ski buyer and was planning on going down to max bell on Saturday to have a look:

- how much do you think the retail value of typical rental skiis would be? for example i was looking at some skiis and boots at sport chek and the skiis were $279 and boots were $149 (sorry don't recall brand names). do you think this would be of a similar quality as typicla rental skiis?

- i am 6ft tall and about 250 - from what i have seen on the net 180 skiis (which i am sure i have rented in the past) are correct - what "waist" width do you think would be appropriate for skiing in the alberta/bc areas - i don't plan on doing much more than cruising and can't see myself looking for waist deep powder

what else do i need to know? am i better off getting something at the swap meet, or going to sport chek - or a ski specialty shop.

I think my budget for the wife and i will be $600 each (for skiis, poles, boots and bindings) and maybe $200 each for kids (son 12 and dughter 9).

will buy hemets and a ski bag later on.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #45
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
couple of questions about buying skiis as i am a first time ski buyer

It's been a while since I've been to the Max Bell sale, but I don't ever remember seeing spectacular deals there. IMO if you're comfortable at that $600 range, you should be able to go to Sport Check, or even Ski Cellar (they often have demo sales, or a 'ski of the week' sale on for a ridiculous price).

Listing prices of gear you were looking at isn't exactly a good comparison to ask if they would be comparable to rental gear. You'd need brand and models. Ski gear is pretty diverse and price point doesn't always indicate performance or the type of rider it's geared towards. However if that was newer gear I'd likely guess it's close to basic rental gear (There are higher end rentals as well).

Length of 180 sounds like it's in the right wheel-house, but it's dependent on ski flex, early rise/rocker, and width as well.

Waist size: For something more geared towards groomers/cruising I'd probably look at something in the 88 range. Rossi and Line both make a really good 88/90 that sounds like it might be something well suited for you. The Rossi is called the Experience, and quite often gets marked down at sport check. IIRC the Line is the called the Prophet. Possibly a bit higher than you were looking at for price though.

IMO the most piece of equipment is boots. You'd be better served buying a good and spending a bit less on skis/bindings (note: good for your skiing ability and fit - flex is important and while the K2 Pinnacle is a well-reviewed boot, it's not a good beginner boot). Find something that fits you well, doesn't have pressure points, and fits your ability.

Skis/poles/bindings you can buy anywhere (online even), but for boots I highly recommend spending an afternoon (in my case it's usually multiple afternoons) trying some on at an actual ski shop (not Sport Check). Try them both on, with a ski sock, and wear them around the store for at least half an hour. I worked in sales/repairs for years and used to cringe when a guy would try on one boot for 10 seconds and say "Ya it fits, I'll take them", only to see them return them a week later...

Grab this month’s ski magazines. It’s review season so you can take a look at your options before you buy.

For kid's stuff - Sport Check has a trade-in program which is invaluable for kids. IIRC you get 50% back on trade-ins the following season when they out grow it. Ski cellar often also has lots of kids trade-ins which would save you some cash if you want to go the used route.

If you're looking at saving a bit of coin (although I highly promote supporting local shops, especially for ski gear), you can check out levelninesports.com. Apparently they have no issues shipping to Canada. Just don't be that guy that spends 8 hours trying on boots to order them online

Hope that helps. And the last piece of advice – don’t wait to buy a helmet.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-24-2014 at 07:13 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:38 PM   #46
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

E83's are @ sportcheck for 270. You won't notice the 5mm as a beginner
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #47
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
E83's are @ sportcheck for 270. You won't notice the 5mm as a beginner
Good call. I didn't do any price checking.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #48
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think our plan is to go to ski cellar and get some used stuff for the kids, and then the wife and I will get our stuff next month as we will go with new stuff.

I spoke with someone at ski cellar and his suggested budget was $1,300 per adult..... We were hoping to gear up for about $1,200 or so for the both of us....so we may have to go to sportchek to fit our budget
Old 10-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #49
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't be afraid of buying gear at sportcheck. They carry quality stuff now. I got my volkl gotamas there. I would recommend going to a boot place though. Don't trust the sport check guys to know what they're talking about. They go from fitting hockey gear and bikes to ski boots in a blink of an eye.

Find out from a proper ski store what type of fit you should be looking for and then look for sales
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #50
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

We wound up gearing the kids up at ski cellar, it was more than I was hoping to spend, but, we will have the option of trading in as they grow out of stuff........the wife and I will wait to next month and decide where we wil spend, right now I am leaning towards making the investment and going with stuff from the ski cellar......I'd like to think that buying quality stuff upfront will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:22 PM   #51
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so i popped into sportchek today after lunch and the guy there strongly suggested that i consider skis with "Ti" in them for strength - given i weigh about 18 stone (250 lbs) - extra strength seems like a good idea.

anyone ahve any thoughts on what he is telling me?

if I went with the skiis he is suggesting, then the price is very close to what the ski cellar recommended i consider spending - about $1200.....
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #52
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ti = Titanium?

Probably gives the skis extra strength. I know for snowboards there are often carbon rails, or carbon inserts in certain parts of the board to help with ridgidity, strength and "pop".
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #53
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
anyone ahve any thoughts on what he is telling me?

My guess is he just recently watched the Atomic promo video...
There are a lot of skis that have a titanium layer in them. As dubc80 suggested it's for adding strength while adding minimal weight. Some are geared towards beginner/intermediates. Lots are geared to expert skiers. Make/model matter here. Which specific ski was he suggesting you buy?

Based on the fact that he suggested a ski just because it has titanium in it to me says that like the typical Sport Check employee, he doesn’t know a ski from a racquet ball.

Great place to go for deals, and they have a pretty decent product now, but not the place to go for product knowledge.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #54
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i figure i will ultimately get more product knowledge here on CP......I beleive he showed me a set of Rossignol and Atomic - both were in the $500 range with bindings.

the ski cellar guy recommended skis for $550 and boots at anotehr $450 so with poles and taxes i am at $1200.

Sportchek also has these skis on sale http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...942140.3758120 for $360 - so if I got a $350 boot, then I am at about half of ski cellar.

i keep going back and fourth on where to buy as if I went to sportchek and opted for the skis with "Ti" in them, then the price will be similar to going to Ski Cellar - so then why not go to someplace that are experts.

I have also lloked on line, and to me once you factor in shipping and exchange and possibly duty - it seems that the savings are very small.

at the end of the day, i want a ski i can grow into as i improve/become mroe expereinced -i would say right now i am an intermediate skier, who is heavy and from what i have read i should be looking for "advanced intermediate" gear, due to my mass......i am not opposed to spending more money upfront to get a ski that will last me several seasons

i am likely agonizing over thsi decision a little too much......
Old 10-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #55
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Anyone in town selling Line "Sick Days"?

I've heard nothing but amazing things.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #56
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
I don't think so. No way I'd spend close to $1200 on skis when I'm just starting out. I lucked out and bought skis, boots and poles from somebody here on CP for about $150 used. Not having that kind of luck I might be inclined to buy boots and then look for used skis. With my level of skiing I don't think I'd notice a difference between a good and excellent set of skis.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #57
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Anyone in town selling Line "Sick Days"?

I've heard nothing but amazing things.
Fresh and Ski Cellar are the Line dealers in town.

They're absolutely... wait for it... sick. I bought a pair last year for a frontside/crappy conditions ski and found myself taking them out as much as if not more than my Bacons. Word of caution though, might want to go a length up from your norm. I wouldn't mind them a tad longer, but I'm using them for touring so a little shorter/lighter won't be horrible. Kind of wish I demo'ed a pair first.

Quote:
Possibly But it's certainly not an insignificant amount of cash so absolutely you want to put some thought into it.

The sale you linked to was last year's model, and online they only have one (short) size left. However that is one of the models I suggested in my previous post (this year's is the 84 though).

If you go with something softer/not titanium reinforced you can always length up a size to counteract. And again, don't just assume that a Ti model is always stiffer. There's varying degrees within the reinforcement, and skis with other technologies can be quite stiff as well. It's a good technology for sure but not the be-all, end-all, IMO.

Another option is demo'ing from Ski Cellar. They give you your rental fee back as credit towards a purchase price in store and a demo doesn't cost much more than a rental. That way you can see what you like, or even hit an on-hill demo day. Free, but might not get the ski you're looking for.

Some other stores to check out would be Ski West and Abominable. Both knowledgeable. You can go and chat for some product knowledge, and this time of year might still be able to snag a prior model year on the cheap.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-29-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:52 PM   #58
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Sportchek also has these skis on sale http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=37614776&cp=3733354.3767836.37 67837.3942140.3758120 for $360 - so if I got a $350 boot, then I am at about half of ski cellar.
Those are my skis over the past year. I am probably classified as an intermediate skier who likes to just stay on groomers. Will do a little bit through the trees and powder. But I have to say that I have been more than happy with these skis. They turn easy and ride smooth. I would not hesitate to recommend these to anyone either just starting out or that intermediate area.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #59
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.winsport.ca/pdf/9592_Anti...tSale_List.pdf

guessing the gear is in bad shape? seems really cheap
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #60
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, I'm sure most of their rental gear is in really rough shape.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote