Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2021, 02:20 PM   #1001
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
How do you buy through Binance? I tried using my credit card but it keeps erroring out

It's clunky, but here is my process:

1) deposit CAD into my newton account.
2) buy USDT with my CAD
3) transfer USDT to my binance account
4) buy ADA with USDT
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #1002
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are brave buying in now! I'm curious who has been saying $10 ADA?

This is how I kind of see it breaking down. We're in the middle of the bull market now and ADA was at $0.10 in September at the start of this market cycle. It has already gone 13x this cycle to its current level of $1.30.

To get to $10, that would require ADA doing 100x this market cycle, which I don't think is very realistic.

If you bought bitcoin at $300 in Jan 2016 and sold at the peak of $14,000 in Dec 2017, that is a 46x return to put it in perspective.

I hope ADA continues to do well and pushes higher, but I would temper the expectation of $10 this cycle. If you bought at $1.30, I would be happy with a 2x return this cycle. A $2.60 ADA would be 26x this cycle which is incredible and would smash the previous ATH.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying ADA can't or won't get to $10 at some point in time. All I'm saying is I don't think it is likely during this run.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:58 PM   #1003
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

This is how I kind of see it breaking down. We're in the middle of the bull market now and ADA was at $0.10 in September at the start of this market cycle. It has already gone 13x this cycle to its current level of $1.30.

To get to $10, that would require ADA doing 100x this market cycle, which I don't think is very realistic.

If you bought bitcoin at $300 in Jan 2016 and sold at the peak of $14,000 in Dec 2017, that is a 46x return to put it in perspective.

I hope ADA continues to do well and pushes higher, but I would temper the expectation of $10 this cycle. If you bought at $1.30, I would be happy with a 2x return this cycle. A $2.60 ADA would be 26x this cycle which is incredible and would smash the previous ATH.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying ADA can't or won't get to $10 at some point in time. All I'm saying is I don't think it is likely during this run.
There are no guarantees but these are early days for ADA and people think its about to take off with the hard fork.

Bitcoin was 8 cents in 2010 and $32 in 2011
Old 03-02-2021, 08:58 AM   #1004
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I'm curious how much electricity cost is associated with PoS models vs PoW.

PoW has to account for a chunk of the issue.
From my basic understanding of PoS it will effectively make electricity use inconsequential.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/...-by-99-percent

This article states a 99% reduction of electricity demand for ETH's switch to PoS.
bootsnixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:34 AM   #1005
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsnixon View Post
From my basic understanding of PoS it will effectively make electricity use inconsequential.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/...-by-99-percent

This article states a 99% reduction of electricity demand for ETH's switch to PoS.
This is why I'm moving away from BTC and backing ADA. I think it's only a matter of time until more governments start cracking down on crypto mining, leaving the PoS coins as the only viable alternative
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:13 AM   #1006
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is why I'm moving away from BTC and backing ADA. I think it's only a matter of time until more governments start cracking down on crypto mining, leaving the PoS coins as the only viable alternative
https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitco...suisse-founder

This seems logical to me.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:24 AM   #1007
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

it is absolutely logical, but ETH has been 1-2 years away from PoS for about 3 years now.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #1008
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
it is absolutely logical, but ETH has been 1-2 years away from PoS for about 3 years now.
ETH 2.0 was launched Dec 1, 2020. PoS and vastly increased transaction capability.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:48 AM   #1009
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post

Totally agree. It's nice to think about $10 ADA this year and cool if it happens, but that would mean close to a half trillion dollar market cap. I don't expect to see anything like that for years.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #1010
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl262 View Post
Totally agree. It's nice to think about $10 ADA this year and cool if it happens, but that would mean close to a half trillion dollar market cap. I don't expect to see anything like that for years.

I'm trying to figure out if it's still worth putting into Ethereum or BTC as a late investor. There are some pretty bullish predictions out there over the next few years but there is so much risk for a relatively expensive entry now.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #1011
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just don't read to far in the article...
Quote:
Which metropolis in the world doesn’t have 100-story-high banking towers, glowing in a million different colors all night, and their financial systems, their computers, server rooms. How much energy does Facebook consume? They have 21 huge data centers worldwide, I’d say probably more than Bitcoin. The banking system for sure consumes a lot more energy.
Well, let's see, a quick Google tells me it's 5.1TWh in 2019, so not even close to Bitcoin. "I'd probably say" is key for "I couldn't take 3 seconds to check my suspicion because I believe what I want to believe." Then to also compare it to the banking system is nonsensical. If Bitcoin were to replace all of our banking, it'd be consuming orders of magnitude more power, as it is currently designed.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #1012
bootsnixon
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Well, let's see, a quick Google tells me it's 5.1TWh in 2019, so not even close to Bitcoin. "I'd probably say" is key for "I couldn't take 3 seconds to check my suspicion because I believe what I want to believe." Then to also compare it to the banking system is nonsensical. If Bitcoin were to replace all of our banking, it'd be consuming orders of magnitude more power, as it is currently designed.
My apologies if I posted an article that contains inaccurate statements. Like many things on the internet, it is hard to know which source to trust. Perhaps I should not have posted it. I suppose a better post would be:
I am of the opinion that it's logical Bitcoin will switch to a more energy efficient Proofing method once other cryptos like ADA and ETH prove it is stable and secure enough.

The point I was trying to make was Bitcoin could replace a warehouse full of mining computers with a single laptop. The energy usage is definitely a problem for Bitcoin currently but there is a solution available.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #1013
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right, that's fine, and I agree, they need to move to PoS, or something else. I just found the rest of it very questionableobviously incorrect.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 12:43 PM   #1014
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

And if it were employing tens of millions of people, we might be inclined to forgive it
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:11 PM   #1015
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
I'm trying to figure out if it's still worth putting into Ethereum or BTC as a late investor. There are some pretty bullish predictions out there over the next few years but there is so much risk for a relatively expensive entry now.
Yeah, tough call. I'm not the biggest fan of proof of work in the long run so I wouldn't really know.

karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:09 PM   #1016
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
It's clunky, but here is my process:

1) deposit CAD into my newton account.
2) buy USDT with my CAD
3) transfer USDT to my binance account
4) buy ADA with USDT
I bought some ADA yesterday with this method which worked well, but then I wanted to take it out of Binance and put it into my Daedalus wallet so I could stake it. But they've disabled ADA withdrawals for "maintenance" that's been going on for more than 24 hours now, not impressed at all with them. I think I'll use Kraken for any future ADA purchases
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:28 PM   #1017
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I bought some ADA yesterday with this method which worked well, but then I wanted to take it out of Binance and put it into my Daedalus wallet so I could stake it. But they've disabled ADA withdrawals for "maintenance" that's been going on for more than 24 hours now, not impressed at all with them. I think I'll use Kraken for any future ADA purchases
Coinsmart is the same in that I haven't been able to purchase ADA in 24 hours (keeps saying something to the effect of the price has changed and won't proceed). Not sure that I actually will purchase ADA, but it's annoying.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:09 PM   #1018
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bit coin cannot replace banks as what banks do mostly is lend money, banks are not money, they just happen to deal in money.

the only power consumption you could compare bitcoin to would be the printing process of producing money, which is negligable
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #1019
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Bit coin cannot replace banks as what banks do mostly is lend money, banks are not money, they just happen to deal in money.

the only power consumption you could compare bitcoin to would be the printing process of producing money, which is negligable
The evolution of Bitcoin has turned it into more of a store of value, which means it could be compared to the energy used to extract gold. I've been watching the show "Aussie Gold Hunters" which follows amateur and small-time gold miners in gold rich Australia. It's enlightening to see how a small operation using a loader and medium excavator can expend hundreds of dollars of diesel a day and be happy to get half an ounce of gold.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #1020
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The evolution of Bitcoin has turned it into more of a store of value, which means it could be compared to the energy used to extract gold. I've been watching the show "Aussie Gold Hunters" which follows amateur and small-time gold miners in gold rich Australia. It's enlightening to see how a small operation using a loader and medium excavator can expend hundreds of dollars of diesel a day and be happy to get half an ounce of gold.
About 80% of gold is turned into jewelry though, its kind of an investment but mostly is esthetic and cultural, it also has the advantage its a one time expenditure of energy, once the gold is dug up and refined that's it forever.
Bitcoin, as it is set up now if I understand it correctly, requires vast amounts of computing energy all the time to track its movements forever.

Which spurs a question to those with better knowledge, am I right in thinking bitcoin mining is in fact just a built in method to pay for the vast amount of computer time required to track the movements of the bitcoins, its a reward for 'miners' who are in fact maintaining the payment and movement system? if so what happens when the available coins run out and the 'miners' stop doing what I assume is needed to keep the system operating?

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 03-03-2021 at 02:04 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bitcoin , cryptocurrency , ethereum